• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Global Lion Intellectual Pty. Mgmt. (formerly PMA Literary & Film Management)

Sam Adams

Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
Ah yes. The words "proposal on a True Crime" sounded like fiction, and for a moment I mixed up proposal with query.

Sorry, I was rather imprecise. I should have said he accepted my QUERY within two hours. He then worked with me to develop my PROPOSAL for the publishers. In any case, he called my cell phone within two hours of the time I sent him the email and offered to represent me.

By the way, I sent to 18 agents. Six responded, but five were too late. The other 12 still haven't gotten back to me. In the meantime, I've already been collecting my advance and Peter has been collecting his 15 percent. Their loss.

PRECIOUS BLOOD will be a mass market paperback on sale in the U.S. No overseas sales so far.

Sonny Palermo

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you Sam, terrific news.
I love stories that break the traditional time frame of query to pub deal; it's good to see that writing skills and concept can shine through and be noticed immediately.
I don't drink your beer, but I'll buy a copy of your book when it comes out (the mom got me into the true crime genre, her reasoning - "it's important for you to know about the nuts you share the planet with.")

Secret stuff or can you share which crime you cover?
If not, how about a hint, where, when?

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Mark -- did you ever hear back from Ray Prince? I've emailed requesting a status on my partial (way past the 3 mos. mark), but he hasn't responded.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
No indeed. He isn't there any more. He kindly said he would prod them on my behalf and I, too, sent them a polite email asking about the status of my proposal. No word back, so I'm presuming they are not interested.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, well isn't this frustrating? I suppose I'll write them off as well but that just plain irritates me -- wasted paper and wasted postage. They could at least use my SASE to reject me! LOL.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I know, I can understand not hearing anything (maybe) when you send in an unsolicited query letter, but to get no response after sending in requested material seems a touch impolite. But they are busy and maybe we should be flattered that they wanted to see our stuff at all.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Now there's a positive attitude for ya...flattered it is then. Good luck with your future proposals. :) scratching PMA off my active sub-list

maurirada

Screenplays?

I submitted a screenplay to PMA after a positive response to a query. Received at PMA July 13th. I called on September 21st and then emailed on September 27th to see if there was any response. Still no word. I thought if it was a "no" they would just tell me. Maybe I still have a chance???

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Maurirada --

I wish I had an answer for you. I just don't know. I queried in mid-June, received an immediate request for a partial which I mailed the next day along with all the other stuff they asked for ... author bio, synop, etc. I included a SASE. I thought that I was still under consideration because it appeared that rejections go out pretty fast based on what other members here posted. But, honestly, I think I've just been shoved into a corner somewhere and forgotten. No one has responded to my September email, either.

I've just chosen to move on and not worry about it. I've just released myself from my last agency for communication issues and I am VERY sensitive to timely responses to my questions which is the main reason I'm crossing PMA off my list. I know that for me -- communication is one of the key elements that I'm looking for in an agent. I don't want hand holding or weekly updates. What I want is a professional who will respond to my questions in a timely manner. And, honestly, failing to respond to a status-query is not okay by me. And before anyone starts the "their responsiblity is to their clients first..." let me answer that I'm well aware of that. However, if a writer follows the agency's published guidelines i.e. allow 3 mos before asking for a status-check -- then I full-well expect the same type of professional behavior from that agency, which is responding to the status-check. Shoot, a simple one-line of "Ray Prince is no longer with us and your submission has been lost/misplaced/redirected/rejected" would suit me just fine.

If they're capable of requesting material, why are they not able to give you a status update? I am not a newbie in this business and have found many professional agents and publishers who respond in a very timely manner. If it were just me, I might write this off as to a simple glitch in their system. But hey, there's three of us right now that this agency hasn't responded to in a very short period of time. That, to me, is a red flag.

J.

Homer

Registered
Reaction score
jkorzenko said:
Maurirada --

I wish I had an answer for you. I just don't know. I queried in mid-June, received an immediate request for a partial which I mailed the next day along with all the other stuff they asked for ... author bio, synop, etc. I included a SASE. I thought that I was still under consideration because it appeared that rejections go out pretty fast based on what other members here posted. But, honestly, I think I've just been shoved into a corner somewhere and forgotten. No one has responded to my September email, either.

I've just chosen to move on and not worry about it. I've just released myself from my last agency for communication issues and I am VERY sensitive to timely responses to my questions which is the main reason I'm crossing PMA off my list. I know that for me -- communication is one of the key elements that I'm looking for in an agent. I don't want hand holding or weekly updates. What I want is a professional who will respond to my questions in a timely manner. And, honestly, failing to respond to a status-query is not okay by me. And before anyone starts the "their responsiblity is to their clients first..." let me answer that I'm well aware of that. However, if a writer follows the agency's published guidelines i.e. allow 3 mos before asking for a status-check -- then I full-well expect the same type of professional behavior from that agency, which is responding to the status-check. Shoot, a simple one-line of "Ray Prince is no longer with us and your submission has been lost/misplaced/redirected/rejected" would suit me just fine.

If they're capable of requesting material, why are they not able to give you a status update? I am not a newbie in this business and have found many professional agents and publishers who respond in a very timely manner. If it were just me, I might write this off as to a simple glitch in their system. But hey, there's three of us right now that this agency hasn't responded to in a very short period of time. That, to me, is a red flag.

J.

My experience is the same of yours except I haven't nudged them. PMA has sold a lot of books, and it seems to have a strong reputation. But I've received expressions of interest from and have partials out to a number of agencies I'd probably rather sign with even disregarding the slow response time. So I'd rather see how these others play out before hearing from PMA. Still, until I get a contract offer from a better agency I'm not crossing them off my list. Actually, all the agencies have been pretty slow in resonding to my submissions. I understand the time of year has to do with that. The last three months have been holiday season. Also, I have a challenging project--a historical with a complex plot--and my chapters are long. So I'm trying to maximize my odds and stay patient...

Last edited:

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
I am a PMA client and still waiting to hear back on a full manuscript I sent in June (the follow-up to my first novel, which PMA has already submitted). While I don't profess to know exactly what is going on with all the delays, I think you should all realize that this agency has gone through some major turn-overs since early this year. Peter Miller himself said late last year that this has created a huge backlog. Projects that were already underway had to be put on hold during this transitional process; new agents were having to pick up the slack, as well as (I'm sure) learning the ropes of working for an agency new to them. Naturally, if the projects of current clients are just now getting caught up to speed, it may take even longer for potential projects and new queries. The 3-month mark listed on their website is just a general timeframe that they aspire to adhere to under normal circumstances, but it's no promise that you'll actually hear back in three months. It may take longer, and given the present circumstances, I would say don't be surprised if it does.

My agent there was Kelly Skillen, who is no longer actually working there but still keeps tabs on her clients' projects that she submitted. If I have a question, she almost always responds within a day or two. And while Adrienne Rosado doesn't always respond right away, if it's a question or issue that is particularly nagging at me, I can usually resolve it with a quick phone call (probably not something I'd recommend, though, unless you are, in fact, a client). But I do know that the manuscript I submitted in June was only just beginning to be reviewed in late August, so perhaps this might shed some light on the current situation with them.

I'm not rushing to their defense just because I'm a client, but IMHO I honestly just think they are swamped right now and doing the best they can to work their way through.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Blackbird --

Thanks for your input. Insight is always very helpful. :) I have no problem whatsoever with them taking awhile to review my partial. I'm just miffed that they never responded to my status-check. But if everything's in an uproar over there, I guess it's understandable. And I'm not going to call for the exact reason you mentioned -- I'm not a client.

Good luck with your current sub.

J.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Mark. As my teenager would say: That sucks. You've got the right attitude, though.

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
jkorzenko said:
Maurirada --

J.

I TOTALLY AGREE! I received a weirdo response to a query a while ago. Peter Miller said: "Hot! Hot! Hot!" then he said he was going to forward my query to his assistant and "see" if she wanted to read it. If she's working for him, wouldn't she read whatever he asked her to?? Just because this man has made a lot of sales doesn't mean he treats all clients with respect. And if he's treating you badly from the start chances are he won't put his back into representing you down the road. A bad agent is worse than no agent at all.

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Antonio Elias Sosa? I queried PMA and got a response from Antonio, their 'Submissions Evaluator' saying that my work "sounds intriguing, but there are some doubts about its commercial viability". He asked for a partial and I sent it out a few days ago.

I'm assuming 'Submissions Evaluator' means that he's not an agent, right? What does it mean?

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can corroborate what blackbird said. I'm not a client, but I did have a novel on Kelly Skillen's desk when she left PMA. After significant delay due to the changes taking place in their office, my book was passed to Adrienne Rosado who then got back to me in a reasonable amount of time with a very courteous and encouraging rejection.

I know, 'encouraging rejection' sounds like an oxymoron, but that's what it was. :)

And for those who aren't aware, PMA is our own Liam Jackson's agent. They got him a 3-book deal with the Thomas Dunne imprint of St. Martin's press. Not too shabby.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Karo. I've still never received any response. Oh well.

maurirada

Still no reponse

I called on October 19 and the receptionist said she had seen my manuscript somewhere in the office, but the assistant was out. The receptionist tried to reassure me that I would get a letter stating whether they were accepting or rejecting the manuscript. But no timeline.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Seen your ms somewhere? LOLOL. Sounds like my house.

J.