The Movie John Carter?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I will see it, but what annoys me is the chick. John Caaaah-tahhh..... oh boy, lady. wtf?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
She has got to be better than the last actress, (and I use the term loosely), who played Deja Thoris... Tracy Lords.

Anyone wanna bet the Scifi channel will run that one again while John Carter is in the theathers?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably see it. It seems to have no pretensions of profundity, and just to be a glory fun ride, thereby capturing the same qualities that permeate ERBurroughs' novels, which I devoured when I was about 14.

caw

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Just re-read A Princess of Mars in preparation to see this. I will say that I might firebomb Disney if they screw it up.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My housemate and I will go see it at some point. She wants to see it in IMAX 3D, if available. Will let you know when I get back.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Have to admit, I wasn't really inspired to see the movie due to the absolutely dreadful official trailers that Disney kept botching.

Once I saw the fanmade trailer, it managed to spark my emotions (like a good trailer should do, too bad Disney really screwed that up) to want to see it. But I may wait to see what fans of the books are saying before I risk the price of a movie ticket.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Bring along only enough brain to get to the theater, it seems.

Looks fun, but I'm going to wait for fan reviews before I plunk down the ten-spot.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's not bad, quite interesting really. Some very strong moments, but also some weak storytelling (and a totally underused James Purefoy). I'll be posting my review come Friday. But if you enjoy these kinds of movies, I think it's worth checking out. Despite it being flawed.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Look forward to your review Toothpaste...

In honor of ER Burroughs and his John Carter on Mars series, I have posted a new Avatar from an early Frank Frazetta illistration for a cover from the late 60's or early 70's.

These type of covers were very helpful in catching the eyes of the readers, mostly young men and boys, and helped to push the series like never before. Even Boris Vallejo had a cover for The Princess of Mars.

This type of artwork is why Disney is going for the look it is using, with scantly clad women and half naked men. But then most of Burroughs women were scantly dressed and always well porportioned. As a young man, his women characters stirred emotions in me...

Also, as far as Burrough's women characters go, I think he used the same formula Rober E. Howard used before him. The less the women wear the more the men will pay attention. I don't recall HG Wells ever using that formula before Burroughs or Howard.

Hope everyone enjoys the avatar...

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Also, as far as Burrough's women characters go, I think he used the same formula Rober E. Howard used before him.

Um, A Princess of Mars was written thirteen years before REH published his first story.

I've been waiting forty years for this movie. Of course, I'm not going to miss it.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Um, A Princess of Mars was written thirteen years before REH published his first story.

I've been waiting forty years for this movie. Of course, I'm not going to miss it.

I stand corrected then. Maybe it was Howard who borrowed from Burroughs then...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The general industry expectations seem to be that it will lose money.

Of course that's what they expect. I'd enjoy it if they were stunned with what happens, but who's to say?

I know they'll be getting my IMAX-3D ticket price, at least. *shrug*

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not entirely impressed with the trailers. Looks to me like a collision between Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian--and no, I've never read the Princess of Mars series.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Just wanted to say I've just come back from an interview roundtable with Taylor Kitsch (the star of the film) and it was just fantastic. There was some really cool insight into the making of the film, and his relationship with the director. I'll be likely posting the audio for the interview tomorrow/Friday, so I'll come back and let you know. Even if the film doesn't intrigue you, if you like the filmmaking process, you'll like hearing this roundtable.

Also, as a side note, Kitsch is an amazing interviewee. Sincere, well spoken and funny. Makes eye contact with you. And I was also sitting right next to him, and yes, he really is rather nice to look at too :) .

My review should also be up on Friday. Will return with the link then too :) .

This is Adrienne aka Toothpaste, signing off.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say I've just come back from an interview roundtable with Taylor Kitsch (the star of the film) and it was just fantastic. There was some really cool insight into the making of the film, and his relationship with the director. I'll be likely posting the audio for the interview tomorrow/Friday, so I'll come back and let you know. Even if the film doesn't intrigue you, if you like the filmmaking process, you'll like hearing this roundtable.

Also, as a side note, Kitsch is an amazing interviewee. Sincere, well spoken and funny. Makes eye contact with you. And I was also sitting right next to him, and yes, he really is rather nice to look at too :) .

I am so jealous right now. Way to go, girlfriend!

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score

*dies of jealousy*

I will definitely check out that link! Very cool. :)

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a movie-goer, but for Taylor Kitsch, I might make an exception. I loved him as Riggins in FNL.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor was the only good thing in the Wolverine movie. I mean, I never liked Remy, but Taylor totally sold me on the character. It's the only thing I know I've seen him in, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's going to do with John Carter. I adore the books, so I'm apprehensive, but still excited.

Plans are to see the first matinee on Friday. I'm forgoing my pre-work nap to see this movie. ;)