• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Energy becoming Matter: examples please?

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't exactly accurate, either.

In the natural universe, the only situation I know of where it is really arguable that energy is consistently converted into matter is at the event horizon of a black hole, where hawking radiation is produced from potential energy. Even then, many people think it is actually the conversion of matter into energy :shrug: .

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How about when people absorb sunlight and get their vitamin D? Does that count as a real world example?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Sunlight radiation causes a chemical reaction in the skin that converts other substances into Vitamin D. The energy is a trigger (like turning on the burner on your cooktop to caramelize onions), not the source of the vitamin.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I just didn't understand the question.

Last edited: