The Bouncy Castle in Space

monkeymum

Registered
Reaction score
Does your family go there often?

I love zoos. I try to go a few times a year, and if I lived closer to one, I'd have a season pass, just for the exercise. A heck of lot cheaper than the gym, with lots of hills to roam and stairs to climb, and much better stuff to see!

We used to have a season pass to a different zoo - at £120 a year with the expectation that we would go to the gift shop every time (unavoidable as it's by the exit :rolleyes:) we decided to give it a miss last year. We might get one this year. It's always a good day out - loads of fresh air!

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
My panic was completely reasonable in my mind. My school has just started Round 3 of Lice Wars. The spread of disease through an elementary school is horrifying enough to gross out an epidemiologist. And my one little gal student has a dog, and my little boy student has a huge dog and an imaginary cat (that's probably the one I caught the imaginary ringworm from :rolleyes:).

Good luck with the Lice Wars, I'm a veteran. I am a survivor of the Scabies Conflict. I also contracted Chicken Pox from one of my kindergarten students. Not to mention countless other illnesses. Ah, I miss teaching. I did get a ringworm on my face when I was a teen, from a stray cat, summer before moving. Lucky me, I got to be the new girl at school with the ringworm. Spaghetti-O. Took a semester to live that one down. Next time, I'll rescue an imaginary cat.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Hmm, Sissy, I wasn't familiar with that, so I googled. I found a video, but I'm pretty sure something was lost in the recording. These things usually must be caught in live performance, I think.

I'm super proud of myself, because I had a goal to reach 25,000 words on my WIP this weekend (starting at 19,500 on Friday) and I just did it!

We're also enjoying a significant (for us) snowfall. I played outside with the kids for as long as I could stand it, and then left the hubby to play with them while I wrote from the warmth of the kitchen with a view of their antics.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, I've never heard of that game. How do you play?

Yay on reaching your goal, Joy! That must feel great.

Any of you ever try Geocaching? I think I remember someone mentioning a book about a kid who does this. It's like going on an outdoor treasure hunt. Saturday was gorgeous and I wanted to go for a hike, but the boys didn't. I told them we could hunt for things with my phone, and that turned them around. We found two on a nice nature trail nearby. Fun!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't really Bouncy I don't feel but I wasn't sure where else to put this:

It seems Jon Huntsman has pulled out of the presidential race.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit bouncier today. Had a very productive writing session yesterday, in spite of the fact my ex dropped my 12yo off 2 hours early. Basically, my kids don't want to stay at their dad's anymore, so they make excuses to leave early whenever they can. But I explained the situation--if I can get one of my 3 projects finished, I have agents actually wanting to read them, and being published would mean more money for him to spend--and he agreed to play quietly on his computer and not bother me more than necessary. I ended up writing for 3 hours! So now I feel a little more like I'll be able to manage.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
You know, learning to entertain yourself is an important skill for children to learn. I try to give my kids as much practice as possible. :D

I'm kidding. I don't really ignore my kids for long periods of time, but I think an hour here and there doesn't hurt. And reading time is an important part of the day, too.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, I've never heard of that game. How do you play?

Yay on reaching your goal, Joy! That must feel great.

Any of you ever try Geocaching? I think I remember someone mentioning a book about a kid who does this. It's like going on an outdoor treasure hunt. Saturday was gorgeous and I wanted to go for a hike, but the boys didn't. I told them we could hunt for things with my phone, and that turned them around. We found two on a nice nature trail nearby. Fun!

Yay! It's fun. I did it a bit as a teenager. If I had a GPS now, I would probably do it more. I read a book about it, Hide and Seek by Katy Grant. It was very exciting!

I'm feeling a bit bouncier today. Had a very productive writing session yesterday, in spite of the fact my ex dropped my 12yo off 2 hours early. Basically, my kids don't want to stay at their dad's anymore, so they make excuses to leave early whenever they can. But I explained the situation--if I can get one of my 3 projects finished, I have agents actually wanting to read them, and being published would mean more money for him to spend--and he agreed to play quietly on his computer and not bother me more than necessary. I ended up writing for 3 hours! So now I feel a little more like I'll be able to manage.

Ahh, well done. Children can sometimes be shockingly reasonable :D Congrats on productivity! :hooray: I have been productively working on my school application. And productively planning a summer vacation! Writing, not so much...

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Judy and Sissy Congrats on the writing!

I never had writers block before, but I've had a bad case now for the last couple months. I can write, just not anything that I don't want tear-up. I figure if I keep writing junk eventually things will click back into gear.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not writing - I've been shopping!

I have a group of young kids that are working together on a scrapbooking project. Just the developing of photos costs more than my budget allows, but I've got lots of supplies that my sister gave me in the hopes that I'd catch the bug. So far it hasn't worked, but it's made it great for the kids since I give them a free hand to use what they want.

Anyways, I bought a Slice cutter from a friend, but just recently dragged up the nerve to try it out. It's so much fun! The kids love it!

So, the cartridges at Hobby Lobby are $49.99 = each! Crazy! But Michael's has theirs on clearance for $4.99 - each! That's right - 90% off! My kind of shopping.

Now they have more variety than they will believe when we next meet. I can't wait to see what they create. And my son can use them to decorate his poem he "wrote" all on his own for a competition. I'm so proud of him!

But I promise, since school's back in session, I'm going to write something before the week is up. It's not like a resolution or anything, but I'm going to get it done.

Oh, and my daughter bought a Kindle today, so I have to figure out how to use it so we can get some books downloaded for her.

Haven't tried the geocaching, but my nephew and his kids do it and they absolutely love it.

Judy - hope you get lots of rewriting accomplished this week. I don't envy you the task, but I'm sure you're up to it. Good luck!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I'm not writing - I've been shopping!

I have a group of young kids that are working together on a scrapbooking project. Just the developing of photos costs more than my budget allows, but I've got lots of supplies that my sister gave me in the hopes that I'd catch the bug. So far it hasn't worked, but it's made it great for the kids since I give them a free hand to use what they want.

Anyways, I bought a Slice cutter from a friend, but just recently dragged up the nerve to try it out. It's so much fun! The kids love it!

My Mom and sisters have those, they love them too. Plus, custom photo albums make great gifts. My Mom's made one for each of my daughters 1st years--only problem now we want her to do one for each of them, every year!

Oh, and it was Joy, who reached her writing goal. Sorry about that-- but yeah Joy!

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Thanks, Mike!

My critique partner challenged me to get to 30,000 words by the end of the week, and when I challenged her back, she suggested a mutual reward goal - that we each decide on a less than $10 treat we get if we reach our goal - BUT, we only get our reward if we both reach our goals. So if I don't make it, she doesn't get her new lip gloss (or whatever).

I thought it was a fun idea, if any of you have critique partners you want to push to greater heights!

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
It's awesome to hear how you guys are all getting so much writing done. I've finally managed to get out of a three month rut (I wrote stuff, but it all got discarded :chores), and today I wrote about 800 words. Not much, but at least it's something! I'm liking where my idea's going, so we'll see if I can keep this up. Good luck on the writing to all who have WIPs!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone watches American Idol but this gentlemen didn't make it on television. The thing with him is his wife got in a car accident I believe and was fully paralyzed. The whole reason he went onto the show was to be able to give his wife a better life and he still is by her to try and help her become better. Well long story short he is HUGE over seas and I stumbled across one of his songs and it is, this might seem too much, but one of those songs that is just simply, perfect.

This song has NO plays over here in America, which is a shame. I had my girlfriend listen to it and she almost cried. I suggest watching the video too. The song is about his wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQY4dIxY1H4#start=0:00;end=3:13;autoreplay=true;showoptions=false

So a bounce for artists still making it, and more importantly good things happening to a good person.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My little student in her birthday tutu. I don't know who was more entertained by it, her or me.

photopa.jpg

photopa.jpg

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I wants one! To go with my pink cowboy boots!

It really is a good time to be a girl.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I wants one! To go with my pink cowboy boots!

It really is a good time to be a girl.

It would suit you! It was pretty easy to make and cost under $15 for that little one. I am soon gonna make one for myself to wear over the summer :D

speaking of...today I switched from working with one of my boy students to working with a different boy. He's awfully naughty and cute. I knew him already but today I found out that he is quite a bit of a princess boy. so that should be pretty awesome. We make a good pair, I am like the hugest tomboy in the world. All the kindergartners think I am a boy. Anyways, good times in the fourth grade special ed gender subversion squad.