• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Experienced writer seeks writing buddy for awesomeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulletproof

live every week like it' shark week
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for a writing buddy and exchange partner. Ideally someone who is writing or is about to write a novel, who likes deadlines, is able to produce readable first drafts and is good at seeing big picture stuff. My previous buddy* and I settled into a nice system. We'd set a date and a goal (e.g., 10k in eight days). When the deadline arrived, we emailed our WIP, marked them up, then skyped/chatted about story direction, character, etc. We also checked in every few days with word count, problems etc. It worked very, very well.

Genres: Will happily read everything except religious stuff--I'd be terrible at that. If it's a genre I don't know well, I'll read up on it. I write literary and genre short stories and, so far, genre novels, both YA and adult. Also some... other stuff for adults.

What I suck at: Writing stories for no one in particular. Submitting anything (though I have good results when I do).
What I'm great at: Motivating people to write. Honest, useful feedback. I understand the mechanics of writing from the top down, and my ideal buddy will, too.

I'm really hoping for something long-term and don't mind waiting for the perfect fit.

PM or respond here if interested.

(*My previous buddy is now in grad school and while we still exchange some work, she can't finish multiple novels a year on top of everything else. Slacker, right?)

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am so tempted, as I think we'd be a great fit. But my other life demands I occasionally disappear for 4-8 weeks at a time, and I think you likely want something more regular than that.

ecopper12

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to help you out!

I'm writing a novel currently, and I think we'd be a great fit.

If you have an IM service (Preferably Skype) you can PM me for my screen name.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to help out, especially since I'm looking for something like this as well.
I have issues with getting myself motivated or seeing if something is working. My inner critique just kinda gets me down and I really need a fresh pair of eyes who'll be firm but fair, and I'm happy to do the same. I'm currently at uni doing a Bachelor of Creative Writing - still in my first year.
If you haven't found anyone yet, I'd be willing to talk more to see if you're interesting in budding with me. I'm really eager to gain a long term buddy system as well.
Looking forward to hearing from you, and if you've already found someone, good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.