College Students Writing For Teens

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are a couple/few grad students in here. I'm kind of debating going on to grad school when I finish, but it depends on if I do education. If I go into education, I'm getting a job, working for a few years, and *THEN* getting a masters.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to do graduate school in either 2013 or 2014. I missed the deadline for fall 2012 soooo....:Shrug: yeah. I'm planning to go for my master's in library science. :e2BIC:

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
Finals chewed me up and spit me out. Jesus, I'm glad it's summer.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Another failed afternoon in the library -- made the mistake of keeping my WIP document pulled up while I was supposed to be studying for history. I kept going back and writing snippets, and then 2 hours later, I'd only gotten through 10 pages of reading... FML.

You know what's the worst? When everyone's done with finals and you're left with an exam on the last possible day! Horrible!

For those of you who are finished (I'm envious), how's your summer going so far? Reading lots? Any good book recommendations? How's writing going? Gahh I cannot WAIT to get home and do some hardcore revisions!

Does anyone have particular summer writing goals (i.e. finish your WIP, start querying, submitting, what have you)?

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I have a goal that I've had for months, but haven't seemed to make myself stick to: finish Awaking Melody. I've been on the same section for...I don't even know how long anymore. I also need to work on revisions on One Lantern Short--most of which are expansions. Plus I'd kind of like to get started on Styx and Fire. ...We'll see how much I actually do....

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
fredxgeorge Where're you in Aus.? I studied there last year and absolutely loved it. :Sun:

And sadly yes sometimes debt can be that much. I am very, very lucky in my case.
That's really sad :(

Ooh cool. In Victoria, about an hour and a half away from Melbourne. Where did you study?

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
just this history paper standing between me and summer, but I am getting nowhere

when you have no thesis it's doom, dooooom

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
You can do it, Choco!!!

I've got 2 exams left :(:(:(
I think I can... I think I can...

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Do you count as college student, if you're only doing online courses from your community college? >_>

AmandaS

Registered
Reaction score
Channy - Of course that counts! You're enrolled in college, aren't you? :)

I really feel for all of you that still have exams. I finished last Wednesday, but my family flew in the same day for my graduation and they've kept me busy. They just left this morning, so I'm counting today as my first official day of summer! Woohoo!

Paige Lollie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am a college-student writing for the young-adult/teens and wondered if I might join this party :)

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, thanks.

but I have to ask, what's the major difference between teens writing for YA vs College student writing for YA. Is the couple year age gap really that impending?

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, thanks.

but I have to ask, what's the major difference between teens writing for YA vs College student writing for YA. Is the couple year age gap really that impending?

The TWFT thread has been around for a few years, and about half the people on it have been on it since they were teens (even if they're not teens anymore--myself, Margo, and Para being among the oldest). They just stayed there partly because of community. This thread hasn't been around as long, and I think it was started by people who weren't sure where they belonged. So that's basically it. There's really not much of a difference, other than when people came on to AW. Those who've been here longer (since they were teens) tend to stick with TWFT, and those who join while they're in college/not teens but still young adults tend to just jump into this thread.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
:D Hello! I have returned from being away for the weekend and I got my grades...I am graduating college with a 3.2 (4.0 is highest). So proud of myself. I got all A's or A-'s this semester (minus 1 pesky C+ but that class was hard).
I've also been reading quite a bit. Yay for having free time!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Woot for writing more!!! :partyguy:

Also, fredxgeorge, I studied in Brisbane.:heart: Loved it and did heaps of travelling. (Melbourne, South island of New Zealand, Sydney) I miss it a lot.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Keep at it, girl :D

I'm back to revising which feels oh so good. Hoping to have this thing completed by September. *whistles* Hopefully...

Oh, and I'm reading F@ult !n 0ur $tars.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason I haven't been able to concentrate on any of my normal reading.... Maybe that would explain why it's been so difficult to write. I haven't been reading much, if at all....

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Kat, you can get through it. :D Don't worry. I had a month of hellish school stuff (I didn't write or revise during that time); I know what it is like.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to crash for a little while, make food, watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch, or try and push my way through this chapter of AM. ...I honestly don't know which option is the most tempting....

AmandaS

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason I haven't been able to concentrate on any of my normal reading.... Maybe that would explain why it's been so difficult to write. I haven't been reading much, if at all....

I'm having the opposite problem at the moment. I've been reading so much (I've gone through four books in five days) because I haven't been able to read for fun in so long. The problem is I've been spending too much time reading, and not enough time writing! Wherever you end up finding your motivation, will you look for mine? Maybe they're hiding out together.