Can I submit 2nd m/s to same agents?

Alexenafi

Registered
Reaction score
This week I submitted one manuscript to about 16 children's book agents. I have had 4 rejections so far.
Am I ok to send the 2nd children's book manuscript to the same agents? (Both the ones I rejected and the one that are still reading the query?

Thanks for your help.

AbbyJoy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.earthlink.net
Alexenafi,

Publishing etiquette says you may send a second manuscripts to the ones you have received a reply from. Most editors and agents do not want to see a second manuscript from someone whose work they are still reviewing. Check what the agents say on their submission guidelines. Unless they specifically okay multiple submissions, I'd wait it out.

Good luck!

Abby Joy

Alexenafi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds reasonable.

It also gives me a positive way to look at rejections - An opening for manuscript #2.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Send one at a time, but there's no reason not to send a second book to an agent who rejected the first. They're rejecting books, not authors. Heck, my current agent rejected an earlier book.

Though you might not want to submit the next one immediately after getting the rejection. An agent who gets one book after another from the same author might start to suspect you're just machine-gunning them with your trunk novels... Just a thought -- I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I would wait until you get all the rejections from the first round. What happens if you send off your second book, the first one gets picked by an agent and then the second book gets picked by a second agent? Now you have two agents interested in you and your work, investing time and energy in you, only for one of them to be rejected. It's like you are sending out multiple MS of the same MS to several different agents, something that most agents frown upon. Remember an agent is taking on both the author and the writing. They are to represent your current work and your future work. You can't have more than one agent (though you can have more than one publisher). So just wait a bit. I mean it is amazing that you have another novel to fall back on. That is really helpful.

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm - it is actually possible to have more than one agent, but it is unusual and the two agents would deal with different types of work - they wouldn't overlap. For example, you might have one agent for picture books and another for adult non-fiction.

I would be inclined to leave it a few months before sending out your second book to agents who have already rejected the first one. Courtesy apart from anything else - don't deluge them. But if you haven't heard back from all of the first round within three months, I don't see why you shouldn't start sending out the second book. (Obviously not to those who haven't yet responded - as someone else said, they won't want to receive more work from someone who is already udner consideration)

Alexenafi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all good points.

I do know authors who have more than one agent - but for two different types of work (children's books with one and non-ficiton with another).
The manuscripts are both for children's picture books. Different characters/stories. One's a bedtime and the other is a non-fiction series for kids 3 - 6 years.

I also have an adult non-fiction book proposal. I sent it out last year to a large publisher (who I met at the Harvard Med School Publishing conference and asked to see my book proposal) and she asked me for a parital. However, I have to admit that I was deluged with work from my day job (I'm a medical copywriter) and have been unable to follow-up.

Now that I have sent out a batch of my first children's m/s I am going to sit back and work on the non-fiction partial - to keep my mind off the wait.

It's funny, for so long I was paralysed by the thought of sending out stuff to editors/agents. Now that I'm passed that I feel like I can move forward with the process. For good or bad.

Thanks again,
Fi

AbbyJoy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.earthlink.net
Alexenafi,

I hate to discourage you, but it is highly unlikely that you'll pick up an agent for you PB manuscripts. The PB market is pretty soft right now, and agents often don't represent PB's because they just don't bring much money. Especially once you split royalties with an illustrator.

I'd suggest sending your manuscript out to some pubishers on your own.

Good luck!

Abby Joy