The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Horsebackwriter!

I'm so feeling the kid at the birthday party thing! I feel like going through a round of revisions inbetween subbing is definitely harder than before subbing. It's like...you get so used to having it out of your hands and then suddenly it's in your hands again. So you start going crazy and putting your all into it - and now BAM it's back to the waiting game. So hard to deal with :(

But I want a deal nowwwwww *whines*

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
*kid at birthday party who hasn't gotten their cake and ice cream yet while everyone else is eating and laughing and having food fights*

Miss Plum! I feel so bad. What's the scoop, Ace? Have a hug and a cupcake. :Hug2::banana: (or a dancing banana and imagine it smothered in whipped cream)

:welcome: Horseback Writer! This is a great place to hang out, though sometimes it's like waiting for a bus that never shows up. :D ... and then two show up at once. Hear that, Universe! Bring it on, or Roly's gonna explode!!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
welcome horseback rider!

and yes, i agree, i want cake too - er, a book deal, er, cake, er, wait a minute...

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Hi Horsebackwriter. :hi: (gorgeous avatar) This is a very cool, er...hot, place to hang out. It can be a little intimidating to be surrounded by the multitudes of talent, but it's so great to have the advice of those who have traversed this tight-rope before.

Miss Plum, I feel you. I need one of the consolation kiddie swag bags today. Roly, I'll share it with you.

As far as cake? I'll take anything we've got down here. (sigh) A BIG piece, please. Maybe the sugar high will take my mind off waiting.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
*kid at birthday party who hasn't gotten their cake and ice cream yet while everyone else is eating and laughing and having food fights*

I'm the one who hasn't quite figured out the rules for musical chairs and keeps getting out in the first round.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Loot bag for Miss Plum. And a big welcome to Horsebackrider. I LOVE the idea of the Next Circle of Hell-o! Genius!

(Do you think maybe everyone's bus will pull in at once?)

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, HorsebackWriter - we're all quite friendly here in Hell, don't let our angst fool you. Quite honestly, it feels good to be surrounded by folks who are going thru the same agony, er, I mean waiting. as you might be.

Hope you aren't intimidated or offended by an occasional growl, groan, or flying F word.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the welcomes and the bus stop companionship. : )

This whole process is one big spiral, isn't it. Same write, submit, wait, hear back, just up a level.

Sweet Tea -- not offended by f bombs, growls, groans, vents, angst, or fill-in-the-blank.

On this crazy winding journey we're on, I'd say we've earned them all!

Em

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
So I was at the bookstore tonight to do some writing for Nano, and I was walking around (cuz hey, it's a BOOKSTORE...not like I can NOT look ;-)) and I saw THREE of my agent's author's books displayed prominently on tables!! It was so, SO cool. It made me so excited for her and her other authors...and also proud because even though I don't have that elusive "deal" yet, I DO have an awesome agent who felt strongly enough about my work that she wanted to represent me along with these amazing authors.

I think sometimes I forget, in the drama of the sub process (and the heartbreak of one book not selling) what a huge, amazing, awesome thing it is that I was able to land such a great agent.

It's rough, getting all that editor rejection, but it's a nice reminder, seeing those books on display, that I have already taken a BIG step in the right direction...and that it DOES happen.

Anyway, I just wanted to say...to everybody on this thread who's slogging along through submission hell...don't forget how far you've already come!! There's a successful professional out there who loves your work and is doing their best to help you achieve your dreams. YOU ROCK!!!!!

Okay, back to writing. Have a great night everyone. :)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, Horseback Writer!

tracythewriter, it is indeed cool to see books and authors that are one less degree of separation from you. When I was in Vancouver over the summer, I looked for AWer Stacia Kane's latest, Unholy Ghosts. There it was, in Vancouver! I reshelved it so it was front out instead of spine out, hee hee.

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
When I was in Vancouver over the summer, I looked for AWer Stacia Kane's latest, Unholy Ghosts. There it was, in Vancouver! I reshelved it so it was front out instead of spine out, hee hee.

That is some excellent street-team work, Miss Plum! I've been guilty of it as well. When I can reach them. One author friend's books were spine out on the top shelf, and I felt too conspicuous going around trying to find a ladder...damn this shortness.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Thanks tracythewriter. It does, indeed, give me hope that I am just one elusive deal from being in that bookstore too! I never thought of it quite that way since I've been so busy hurrying up so I could wait more efficiently. :) Thanks for the morale boost!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Morning hellions. Book deals all around today! Come on, universe, we've all been waiting long enough.:)

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Right on, Tracy, and thanks for reminding us of that!

Pre-agent, I ran like a little hamster around one of those exercise wheels, trying to submit, revise, resubmit, and deal with disappointment.

My agent does most of that now, and insulates me from the things that might drag me down. And he (and his counterpart here in Canada) are amazing.

It's the waiting that kills me but I think it's like seeing a duck on a pond. They look like they're not doing anything, but those little legs are churning away furiously. My agents are like that, working away below the surface: I just don't see them doing their jobs. But they are.

Thanks for a picker-upper!

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
So I was at the bookstore tonight to do some writing for Nano, and I was walking around (cuz hey, it's a BOOKSTORE...not like I can NOT look ;-)) and I saw THREE of my agent's author's books displayed prominently on tables!! It was so, SO cool. It made me so excited for her and her other authors...and also proud because even though I don't have that elusive "deal" yet, I DO have an awesome agent who felt strongly enough about my work that she wanted to represent me along with these amazing authors.

I think sometimes I forget, in the drama of the sub process (and the heartbreak of one book not selling) what a huge, amazing, awesome thing it is that I was able to land such a great agent.

It's rough, getting all that editor rejection, but it's a nice reminder, seeing those books on display, that I have already taken a BIG step in the right direction...and that it DOES happen.

Anyway, I just wanted to say...to everybody on this thread who's slogging along through submission hell...don't forget how far you've already come!! There's a successful professional out there who loves your work and is doing their best to help you achieve your dreams. YOU ROCK!!!!!

Okay, back to writing. Have a great night everyone. :)

I squee out loud when I see my agents books or books I've beta read. Then I hold it up and say way too loudly, I read this before it even came out! LOL

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
OH! I've had this idea for a sorta quiet YA romance book, sorta Sarah Dessen, for a few months, but let it simmer. Well last night the first few pages just came to me (As they do when I need to write a book) and I emailed what I had to agent so she could tell me not to bother. Um yeah, she wrote back Write It Now. LOL

So I will do up a loose outline to see if there's enough plot but seriously, another contemporary? I must be losing my mind! My genre is fantasy! :Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.