Newest dumbocity (dumb + atrocity = dumbocity) from our school

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
In advance of the kids reading S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, a teacher posed some questions to the kids to have them thematically on the same plane as the book.

One of the questions was whether the kids thought violence was ever an acceptable way to resolve a conflict.

One kid, a good friend of my daughter's, answered that yes, he thought that sometimes violence is what gets a result. The teacher asked him to stay after class.

(Prepare to facepalm.)

After class the teacher just wanted to say to him that she "found your answer just so interesting because Ghandi was a pacifist and he was from India and you're also from India..."

Good lord.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've only toyed with the thought. I've got no inclination, personally, to teach.

We do a lot of supplemental stuff, but maybe the education of how pathetic the world can be at times is valuable?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And the kid didn't say anything. He was too shocked at the whole thing. I'm sure he'll think up a hundred comebacks tonight.

Unreal.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
maybe the education of how pathetic the world can be at times is valuable?

Could be, could be (and I hear you - I don't have the patience to teach mine.) I suppose as long as you discuss these things wit her, she's learning what not to do, at least....

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, goodness. There are over a BILLION people in India--and she's surprised to discover there's a wee bit of diversity among them?

Not to mention the kid is being educated in another nation entirely and has potentially been influenced by that.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
ummmm...wow.

You know, I remember reading that book in grade 7 and discussing that exact question in class

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I can't tell, Jimmy. It's amazing how much has been really eyebrow-bending in this school. It's a safe place and, I have to say, well-organized, but sometimes just holy crap.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping she wasn't a Social Studies teacher. :e2smack:

MaggieAmada

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maggieamada.com
Wow. There is a pervasive culture in our schools that violence is never okay and we should all be pacifists. Furthermore, there is an assumption that all cultures are teaching the same (which they are not). I hope not all children buy into it and I'm glad yours didn't. The world is diverse and we need to prepare our children to live in it.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, just wow.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
*wanders into thread eager to hear about this city full of airborne baby pachyderms. Is vaguely disappointed, but facepalms in sympathy with Perks anyway* ;)