Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caswebb.wordpress.com
I'll take suggestions

We went to the snow for the weekend just recently, it was only a three night stay but i ended up packing five books in the hope that something would catch my interest...

I picked each one up and shortly after put it back down again.

I'm after any suggestions on a good book with good recommendations as right now i seem to be in a reading rut!

Cheers

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read Living Dead Girl this morning. Very good, but very dark. Also very, very short.

Penguin

Inspiration might strike you
Registered
Reaction score
HAIL CAESAR by Thu Huong Ha and DIRTY LIAR by Brian James (both suggested for good male POV) are awaiting pickup from the libray.

Hopefully I can get around to reading AND finishing them within the next two weeks :).

Oh, yeah, SPIRIT BOUND is waiting for me, too

R.M. Watts

dead account
Registered
Reaction score
I actually finished Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel a few days ago. Not as good as I remembered her first trilogy being, but still pretty good.

Right now, I'm just browsing around looking for another good one. :)

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I read five more pages of Beautiful Creatures and then put it down again to re-read CHOKE by Chuck Palahniuk (which is obviously not YA, but you know).

Next on my list is Octavian Nothing -- yes, I still haven't read it. I've decided to read Beautiful Creatures when I'm on a plane, so my attention can't wander haha.

I love hearing your Beautiful Creatures progress :D It keeps popping up in this thread... I haven't made it very far in myself... I keep moving on to other things in my TBR pile.

I haven't read Octavian Nothing either. I'd have to buy it to read so it's not likely I will. Unless, someone motivates me hard enough.

Wendy Jenae

Autonomous & Nocturnal
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Grace by Elizabeth Scott.

She did a good job setting the tone in a very compact way (without using page after page of description), but I felt like the story was left incomplete. It felt more like it was meant to be the first book in the series--the book that gives us an introduction to the characters and their background.

It was also really short. It read like a novella.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I haven't been able to get into Beautiful Creatures, either. Keep putting it back in my stack. The voice is good, but I think I'm on "Dark Doomed Soul Mates" overload...uhg.

I've been doing that with the C1ty 0f B0nes, too. Everyone keeps telling me to stick with it, but it's weak craft is driving me batty. Started Cl0ckw0rk @ngel and that's reading really well, so I can see how she improved a lot.

Reading Paranormalcy on my iPad and that's kind of cute. A little light on the meaning side of things but it's a quick read.

MMcP

Registered
Reaction score
The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I'm loving it so far.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
For the Win, Cory Doctorow (really cool concept, this from a totally techno-challenged dork, but... <whispers> was about 100 pages too long! :()
and
Crank by Ellen Hopkins

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I love hearing your Beautiful Creatures progress :D It keeps popping up in this thread... I haven't made it very far in myself... I keep moving on to other things in my TBR pile.

I haven't read Octavian Nothing either. I'd have to buy it to read so it's not likely I will. Unless, someone motivates me hard enough.

Lol, Beautiful Creatures is the first paranormal I've attempted in a while, and I keep reading contemp instead because it doesn't hook me that much?

That said, Octavian Nothing isn't contemp at all and from what I've read so far (not much -- been busy graduating high school these past few days :)) it's beautifully written.

K.C. Robertson

Sitting underneath my laptop
Registered
Reaction score
most likely either a coffeehouse or my office
Website
procrastinationpartyofone.wordpress.com
I'm reading Beautiful Creatures right now. I wasn't sure what I'd think about it after seeing what a hard time some of you here have had getting into it, but it sucked me in like*boom* and I was accidentally up until after 2am reading it. I feel like the setting is believable and I like that the obviously meant to be soulmate duo isn't basing their relationship on him being a controlling, micromanaging jerk and her happily accepting said micromanaging jerkiness as an aspect of "O OUR LOVE IT IS SO TWU."

So color me happy for the moment. I'm probably still reacting to the insanity in Hush, Hush.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Mockingjay, about a month after many other people. I'm nearly at the halfway mark.

I'm not sure what to read next. I have a copy of another trilogy-closer, Patrick Ness's Monsters of Men, but I've read several quite lengthy novels in a row. (Mockingjay is 100k words) and feel in the mood for something a little shorter next.

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading The Unfolding of Language. I found it fascinating, funny, and informative. I enjoy language and writing and words and learned a lot about how language evolves from this small book.

41qmWplYCrL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg

Now I'm on to Old English and Its Closest Relatives. I'm about to start attempting to read text in Gothic, with more text coming up in Old Frisian, Old High German, Old English and several other related languages. I have no idea how well this is going to go, but the attempt will be interesting no matter what.

The Unfolding of Language is intended primarily for mainstream audiences. This book was created by a professor who couldn't find a text he liked for a course he needed to teach. But he's kept it accessible and interesting and not at all boring. :)

51S1FYVZY8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kitty Black

Slowly circling the drain....
Registered
Reaction score
Read Stolen last night. (Vivian Vande Velde) Not swept off my feet. Too young for YA I think-should be in children's section of the library.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Paranormalcy on my iPad and that's kind of cute. A little light on the meaning side of things but it's a quick read.

But but but! PARANORMALCY is a deliberate reaction to the worship of the supernaturally gorgeous stalker in YA. It invites the reader to consider what it would actually be like to be stalked by a beautiful but creepily controlling inhuman! It implicitly criticises conceptions of love currently trendy in YA paranormals! It's not just a popcorn read. :tongue

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read Stolen last night. (Vivian Vande Velde) Not swept off my feet. Too young for YA I think-should be in children's section of the library.

Oh. I was really confused at first. I thought you were talking about Stolen, by Lucy Christopher, which is most definitely YA. :D

Haven't read Vivian Vande Velde's book, though, so you may be right. :)

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Perchance to Dream, the second book in Lisa Mantchev's Theatre Illuminata series. The first was good, and so is this one, but they haven't quite lived up to my expectations of how amazing I thought they would be when I first saw the cover, title, and premise.

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! I just realized that I posted my response in the YA thread! Sorry! <Can't find a "slaps head" smiley, so slaps head in real life to apologize for posting in the wrong thread!>

:)

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, good, but I still liking the first series better. That is my issue with historical fiction, I have a hard time relating to polite women. :)

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Beautiful Creatures right now. I wasn't sure what I'd think about it after seeing what a hard time some of you here have had getting into it, but it sucked me in like*boom* and I was accidentally up until after 2am reading it. I feel like the setting is believable and I like that the obviously meant to be soulmate duo isn't basing their relationship on him being a controlling, micromanaging jerk and her happily accepting said micromanaging jerkiness as an aspect of "O OUR LOVE IT IS SO TWU."

So color me happy for the moment. I'm probably still reacting to the insanity in Hush, Hush.

I was also sucked in to BC and stayed up too late when I read it. I loved the romance, because I actually believed Ethan and Lena fell in love instead of just looking into each other's eyes.

I also loved the southern stuff because it was WAY creepier and scarier than the paranormal stuff.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But but but! PARANORMALCY is a deliberate reaction to the worship of the supernaturally gorgeous stalker in YA. It invites the reader to consider what it would actually be like to be stalked by a beautiful but creepily controlling inhuman! It implicitly criticises conceptions of love currently trendy in YA paranormals! It's not just a popcorn read. :tongue
I can definitely see this.

I was a little wary in the middle of it because there seemed to be a metaphorical rape-via-magic which I thought the book was leading us towards Evie eventually giving in to, but having read/listened further, the book took a different turn, thank goodness.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that Paranormalcy is funny and fluffy on the surface but is really an intelligent evaluation of the paranormal romance genre. I loved it. I just posted my review here.

Status
Not open for further replies.