Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what you're craving.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, to sustain a craving it's best to eat whatever it is you're craving.

If you want to suspend that craving, what I do is think of what I'm craving, then convince my mouth that it tastes like something I don't want to eat :)

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Haha! But I don't want to give into them because it only makes me fat...seriously, I need to add in some exercise into my daily schedule. Or I am in some trouble.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, when I found out I couldn't eat chocolate anymore, and still craved it, the only thing that got me through was to think about chocolate and associate it in my mind and taste buds with something I really didn't like.

I imagined chocolate tasted like Broccoli.

It really did help.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Don't buy them anymore. If you cant reach them... then you cant eat them!

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Drink a lot of water.

If that doesn't help, then pound your head forcefully into a wall or a desk. Seriously. You'll forget all about whatever food you were craving.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I'm so in the same situation >__<

What I do is, remind myself how much better off I am without them. How the little things can kill me if I give in. Basically, I make myself feel all good and righteous by resisting temptation. Hey, if it works for religious zealots...

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Find the least offensive options for your cravings. My cravings come with a purpose: salty, crunchy, creamy and sweet.

Celery, carrots, yogurt, individual chocolate squares (Ghiradelli makes some pretty good 60% cocoa squares), a few pretzels or peanuts or almonds--all healthy snacks when taken in nibbles.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I agree in that it depends on what you are craving. For me, usually nothing helps besides a small portion of the real deal. If I try to substitute something else, I won't be satisfied. If that happens, I sometimes end up gorging on way more than I would if I had just let myself have a little to begin with. There's a girl in my office who is that way with chocolate. She will almost tackle you if you have chocolate. Then the next day she says, " Keep that stuff away from me. I have to quit eating chocolate." Then the next day she is ravenous for it again.

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had cravings. I just eat what the hell I like - every food is fair game!

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I'm with SP on food cravings. I eat everything. I diet sometimes if I start getting out of shape a little, but basically everything is fair game. I spent my childhood on a ridiculous diet. I'm going to enjoy adulthood, damn it.

As for other cravings, I have to watch my "plot twist" cravings when it comes to my writing. If I gave in to every "wonderful idea I must incorporate immediately" craving I had... my novels would by 90k of Luke and Azrael making out + on a wrought iron bed. Uh, wait. *flips through manuscript* Nope, hasn't slipped in yet. Phew.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
My craving are tortia chips. I know it's not the worse kind of craving, but I could literally eat an entire bag in one sitting. I like salty snacks....but I am seriously not a big eater. I have one big meal a day. I don't snack, I don't do anything that would say I'm an obsessive eater.

I think it's all in my head. . . . .

And I do brush my teeth rather early in the evening so I won't be tempted to eat anything. :)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
YUM! Add some cheddar, refried beans, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream, and then dig in!
Ok.. getting hungry. When is hubby coming home?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Reading all the posts on this thread is making me hungry.

Here's a thought (before I go raid the kitchen): when you really crave that certain food, get a small portion of it, have a paper napkin in your other hand, eat a bite of the food, chew it, savor it, then spit it out. Into the napkin, of course. :D

Seriously, I've done that and it works. Abstaining from the food you crave only makes it worse.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
eat a bite of the food, chew it, savor it, then spit it out. Into the napkin, of course.

I wish that worked with food allergies! Talk about cravings :(

For me, I sub other foods. Luckily dieting is optional (but I'm due for one. How fun, food allergies and a diet. I won't be able to eat anything but cabbage! :p )

Cheers,
Christina

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I hate cravings................does anyone know how to substain them???
Sometimes people think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty. Sit straight in your chair, do lower abdominal crunches then drink a glass of water and wait five minutes. You will either feel satisfied or still want whatever you crave. If you still have the craving, which also sometimes means your body needs it (sugar, protein), then have it.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am craving a bowl of Capn Crunch cereal.

But shhh, don't tell my personal trainer.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
But you see...I don't like the portions. I don't like napkins and stuffing all my food on it. I don't like all the rules of eating. I just eat what I want, when I want and I'm happy. I think I just need to exercise. . . and I'll be fine. My nutrionist (?) told me all I had to do was lose a little bit of weight because I'm consider fat for my height. Can you believe that??????????

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Haha! But I don't want to give into them because it only makes me fat...seriously, I need to add in some exercise into my daily schedule. Or I am in some trouble.
Medically bad trouble? Or trouble with your nutritionist who says you're overweight for your height? If it's a medical problem, like diabetes, you have to listen to your nutritionist. Otherwise, why can't you cave in to your cravings now and then? If it's not a seriously overweight problem and/or medical problem, do you need a nutritionist? (Don't mind me--I'm the type who eats dessert first if I'm at a buffet. My weight and health are okay, but I'd be a nutritionist's nightmare.)

And yeah, Christina, even just tasting the food is bad for those with certain allergies. You have my sympathy!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
My auntie (a nutritionist) tried to explain to me that food craving occur when your body needs a nutrient that you are not getting..so it makes you cram everything into your mouth until it gets enough of that nutrient.

Chocolate = magnesium
Chips = fats
(and there were some others)
She told me and my mom to make sure we got extra vitamin supplements when dieting and extra magnesium before periods.

I believe she was correct. When I am on a low fat diet..I cannot STAY on that diet unless I'm popping a couple of Omega 3's daily along with multi vitamins. And about a week before 'that time' I start upping magnesium rich foods..and then I stick to dark-semi sweetened chocolate...which there is now plenty of since Muse:tongue stopped eating it .

You should head over to 'Healty Diet &..." and PM Cassie who has just become a certified nutritionist and has always been a real uplift and a help.