The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James D Macdonald

Other Stuff

I do not know much about this profession and from what I do know from my past experience, I don’t want any part of it.

...right now I'm so discouraged that I don't want to write anything else.

Guys, this is part of why I'm so down on PublishAmerica. Authors are fragile, especially new authors. How many wonderful writers have we lost, their voices silenced, because their first experience was with PublishAmerica, and it crushed them. Hapi's mentioned the deliberate emotional abuse that PA heaps on its writers. You can all see it for yourselves.

Maybe the current book that these writers sent to PA wasn't very good. The way things ought to work, the author would send a first manuscript around, get rejected a bunch of times, then write a new, better book. Now -- that writer is told "Yes, you're good enough" (derailing the learning process), then sent out on endless promotional schemes (stealing from the time that they should spend honing their craft), then cynically crushed by a professional bully, knocking them away from real traditional publication.

PublishAmerica offends me on a moral level.

--------------

Molly -- you mentioned another publisher that had been interested in your book. You have the rights back now. Have you written to that other publisher to see if they're still interested?

In a lot of very important ways your book is still unpublished.

The way I see it, you can still get back on track.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Quick Note

I have noticed that books that appear to be taking off toward having sales because their authors were investing time and effort or had a viable outlet are typically the ones that get slammed. It's as if someone with a very good reason didn't want the books to sell.

That in itself is a reason to speculate that someone on the PA staff might be sabotaging the sales of those books to prevent PA from having to provide adequate upfront support. They don't mind receiving orders paid in advance, but they can't afford having a book take them into "paid after sale" territory since that would set a precedent for other authors who would then want their books given equal treatment and an equal chance of success. After all, PA claims that they treat all their authors the same. Except for Willem, HB, and Jamie, they pretty much do.

priceless1

Other stuff

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Molly -- you mentioned another publisher that had been interested in your book. You have the rights back now. Have you written to that other publisher to see if they're still interested?<hr></blockquote>
I loved her book and wish I could offer her an anywhere, anytime contract should she ever be victorious in her efforts. Unfortunately, legalities prevent me from doing so. Molly's book is an example of a first time writer putting forth a wonderful book that, with a little developmental editing, would be a great book.

It's one of those great Southern books that I really enjoyed.

Molly Brent

Other Stuff

James, I've always enjoyed your posts. Below is the only rejection I've ever received but I'm sure that's because
I've only sent it to two or three.

Most of ya'll will know Deb, she just signed a 1.2 million contract and is very famous. I know this is a rejection but the rejection actually made me feel good.

Molly --

Thanks so much for sending me a copy of your novel. It's beautifully written -- some of the best writing I've seen in a long, long time. Unfortunately, it's not quite right, editorially, for Bellebooks. However, I encourage you to contact some good agents who handle regional fiction, and send them the book. It definitely has potential. You might also want to contact Hill Street Press, in Athens, Ga. A lovely, reputable regional publisher who may be interested in your work. I wish you the very best of luck placing this intriguing novel.

Deb Smith
BelleBooks

Lynn, I ddn't mean you. My book was already published when I met you on the PA board.

I did want to thank everybody for your concern and prayers for my health. Keep em coming, please. They are working. Spent all day today going from one doc to the other .........things are better than last week

Molly

James D Macdonald

Re: Other Stuff

Thanks, Molly. I try to be helpful.

My best advice to you would be to aim high. What's your dream publisher? Get their guidelines and follow those guidelines to the letter.

Your writing stands on its own. If your story is strong enough your PA history won't matter.

absolutewrite

Re: Uh, Jim?

Lynn, that was such a sweet post. :thumbs I visited your site and liked its genuine feel. Looks to me like you're off to a great start.

Ed Williams 3

PA poster asks why message was pulled...

"Subject: Hey PA

Would you please advise me why you removed the two messages I post this a.m. ???

Neither of them said anything about PA, or bad mouth anyone, etc.

One concerned my second book and the huror concering it.

the second only asked why the message board was now in all CAP lettering ...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE MESSAGES ????"

***Could it be that PA doesn't want to showcase the fact that they will publish just about anything?***

FM St George

Here's a shocker..

RE: Independence Books

I am still waiting for PA to respond to my e-mail inquiry
as to the update on Independence Books. I do not know
why but they do not respond to that or other e-mails I
have been sending for weeks now. I have a store
owner who wants to buy a bunch of my books and they
don't even respond to my e-mails about that. He even
tried to reach them with no success. HOW AM I
SUPPOSED TO SELL BOOKS IF MY PUBLISHER WILL
NOT COMMUNICATE!!!!!

I miss Christina in author's support. She was
so professional and AWESOME!

PA used to be so good about communication.
I wonder about how many sales I may have lost in the
past because of this problem.

Not Happy,
Lehua

www.dreameffects.com

reality check, aisle three...

:(

Sher2

Re: PA poster asks why message was pulled...

<***Could it be that PA doesn't want to showcase the fact that they will publish just about anything?***>

Alas, their boards are crawling with that kind of stuff. Maybe they do try to hide the worst examples, though. Who knows? I do suspect that once the "secret" board is up and running, the public ones might just disappear. One less headache for PA. As for Bubba, somebody ought to draw him a map -- his "missing" posts are on different boards, but they're there.

Meanwhile, we have Marti blowing a gasket in another direction:

www.publishamerica.com/cg...e/5423.htm

Does she not realize that she is hurting her own cause and detracting from possible future sales of her book?

And another PAvidian losing it over a guestbook entry:

www.publishamerica.com/cg.../10608.htm

This is better than soap opera.

Sher2

Re: Here's a shocker..

<reality check, aisle three...>

Reality? That's an unknown quantity "over there." Those who accidentally get hit upside the head with a dose of it turn up other places, like here.;)

LaVerneRoss

That is the good thing about this board and others, are the support and good advice and warmth that exist. With a few trolls thrown in of course. Lately I have felt the desire to give up, and quite writing. Thinking unless you are a perfect editor or have money to invest what chance would I have. Lots of whatifs, and maybes coming fast. But with a shoulder from several members, who have become friends, I find I now want to keep going, and find my own rainbow. Having two other books completed, and being edited, and rewriting the one just released, is a start. Just wanted to say thanks to those who give of themselves, and their words of incouragement, wisdom, and good warnings.

James D Macdonald

Oh, dear ...

So I try out PA, if it doesn't work out, mostly it will be my fault for being a poor author and salesperson.

No, no, my friend. You could have written a dandy book and be a wonderful salesman, and it wouldn't matter. PA's business model doesn't include "sales to the general public" as part of its plan.

Look a bit upstream for Beck Easton and Molly Brent's experiences. You want to tell me that they didn't write good books? You want to tell me that they didn't promote their books?

It's not your fault, what'll happen to your book. If you come in the door believing that it is your fault, you've already swallowed Meiners' line and he's reeling you in.

By the way, I wonder if the "Mr. Book" who's trolling the PAers' guestbooks is related to the "Mr. Book" who was creating dissention over at Mindsight not too long ago?

I do believe that someone is playing mindgames and trying to set two groups who should be mutally supportive (the PA authors who still believe and the PA authors who no longer believe) at each others' throats. I think this "Mr. Book" is trying to keep PA authors from looking outside their own messageboard for information.

Sher2

<Lately I have felt the desire to give up, and quite writing. Thinking unless you are a perfect editor or have money to invest what chance would I have. Lots of whatifs, and maybes coming fast. But with a shoulder from several members, who have become friends, I find I now want to keep going, and find my own rainbow. Having two other books completed, and being edited, and rewriting the one just released, is a start.>

LaVerne, DO NOT quit writing. Stick with your plan to rewrite and edit previous works and continue to write new material. I have "dry spells" when life is throwing me one-two punches and I just plain don't feel like writing. Still, I believe I CAN do it, and do it successfully, and I don't think I'll be happy until I see a non-PA book with my name on the cover. Keep going and find your rainbow!

Sher2

<By the way, I wonder if the "Mr. Book" who's trolling the PAers' guestbooks is related to the "Mr. Book" who was creating dissention over at Mindsight not too long ago?>

The same thought occurred to me. How likely is it that two different individuals would be presumptuous enough to use the name Mr. Book?

lucyishome

I was wondering if Mr. Book was the same also. I could not resist replying to that post on the PA board. I also put in my 2 cents about the name calling.

James D Macdonald

Well, we don't know anything about the "Mr. Book" who's been hitting the PA authors' guestbooks, but we do know that the "Mr. Book" at Mindsight logged in from adelphia.net's Cleveland node.

priceless1

Thank you, Jenna

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Lynn, that was such a sweet post. I visited your site and liked its genuine feel. Looks to me like you're off to a great start.
Jenna Glatzer
Ed-in-Chief
Absolute Write<hr></blockquote>
Aw, you made my millenium, Jenna. We're working our tails off here and having the most marvelous time at it. The talent crossing our desks is humbling. Yes, most gets weeded out, but I never fail to get giddy over great work. When Publisher's Weekly told us we were doing everything right and were shocked at how new we were, even going so far as to promise to review some of our titles, we nearly wet our pants.

Your kind words means volumes and I'm touched.

Sher2

<That Independence Books thread is a goner. www.publishamerica.com/cg.../10549.htm>

Yep, that's gone, as is the "guestbook slamming" thread. Shoot, there was another brilliant "bobblehead" diatribe, too. Why does PA pull all the good stuff?:ha

Molly Brent

Stuff

"They are called Bobbleheads. They couldn't sell their own PA books, didn't bother to write them well to begin with and now they want all of us to suffer!"

To begin with........maybe I should just say To begin......

For some reason that statement offeneded me. So call me petty but I got the ISBN from the PA book store and called Ingram's info line to see how Colorado Cold Case was selling since her writing is so superior.

on order .......0
back order.....0
total sold..... 9

My ISBN is 1 4137 0098 5 if you'd like to compare...and I'm far from being the best author PA has or had. In fact, the only reason I'm not completely destroyed for being so stupid (for signing with PA) is because so many writers I admire and respect got duped too.

Plus, when you compare, remember that I don't have a contract.

The only difference between us Bobbleheads and the rest of ya'll.....we're smart enough to know we got duped.

I don't know who Mr. Book is but maybe if you'd just delete him without giving him attention , he'd go away.

I ordered 251 books and tried to order 251 more when the first shipment ran out so quickly but they wouldn't give me the same discount so I ordered 51 more. You can't imagine how embarrassing it is to tell people that I don't have books. You can say I'm not a writer and I'll admit to that but you can't say I can't sell.........

Molly

Ed Williams 3

The latest on HB/Mr. Book....

....looks like "Mr. Book" has been outed, one of the authors on the Mindsight Series board did a little covert computer work and discovered that it's our good friend, HB. And since HB is out and lurking, I thought it might be interesting to check out his latest Amazon sales rankings. Out of 5627 books:

1. The Joe Schmoe Show - #874
2. Crispy - - #3408

No wonder he prostitutes himself to PA, and it makes me wonder about something - he's already signed a contract for his third PA book, so, with sales like this, why would PA continue to sign him to produce more books? Must be for some reason other than sales....

James D Macdonald

Re: Stuff

...since her writing is so superior.

Maybe it is. Maybe she's the second coming of Ann Rule. The point is, given PA's high prices, poor discounts, and non-returnable books, her book will be very difficult to get into bookstores. The reviews and interviews and all the rest will dry up soon -- a book that came out two years ago is no longer news -- and the lousy contract will get to be a bigger and bigger problem.

Sher2

Re: The latest on HB/Mr. Book....

<looks like "Mr. Book" has been outed, one of the authors on the Mindsight Series board did a little covert computer work and discovered that it's our good friend, HB. And since HB is out and lurking, I thought it might be interesting to check out his latest Amazon sales rankings. Out of 5627 books:

1. The Joe Schmoe Show - #874
2. Crispy - - #3408

No wonder he prostitutes himself to PA, and it makes me wonder about something - he's already signed a contract for his third PA book, so, with sales like this, why would PA continue to sign him to produce more books? Must be for some reason other than sales.... >

Interesting! I've heard it posited that he's a PA employee. Maybe they pay him a stipend to be their head cheerleader. It would also be interesting to know whether he's the same Mr. Book who was slamming those PA guestbooks and, if so, what his rationale is for playing both sides of the fence.

James D Macdonald

The rationale for the "Mr. Book" who's slamming the PA guestbooks is easy: he's trying to put a bad taste in the PA authors' mouths, so they'll be prejudiced against these boards. Create a bit of us-vs.-them. Keep the PA authors from looking for information out here -- since they've been told that we hate them.

You see how it works?

DaveKuzminski

The rationale there would be to keep his position as the head cheerleader. Then he can rally the troops behind him because they were attacked by, ahem, "outsiders". He has everything to gain by doing so.

Those of us outside the PA environ have no need to attack PA authors individually. Nor do most of us have time with our own activities such as operating our web sites, checking on what's taking place, helping new writers, writing new work, doing our submissions, and, for some of us, handling a day job as well. Besides, our argument is with PA over its contracts and treatment of writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.