• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

Boomergirl

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to you A2002! Good luck on the publishing front. Dystel & Goderich is considered a very, very reputable agency. They represent people like Barack Obama. I have a friend who's represented by them and she is very satisfied.

a2002

Registered
Reaction score
Awww... thank you for your enthusiastic support. :)

You sure know how to make a fella feel welcome.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Does anyone know if they are fine with querying another agent at the agency if you've been rejected by one?

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as you don't query two simultaneously. I queried Jim first but after he rejected me, I tried Michael and he requested the full.

pen-ink

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.renee-carter.com
Does anyone know how long Jim usually takes to respond to equeries/when I should assume it's been eaten by his spam filter?

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
D&G website states in the submission guidelines a response time of 6-8 weeks. I e-queried Jim McCarthy a week ago so I've got 7 weeks of waiting to go before I'll nudge with a status query.

Hope this helps, Pen-Ink!!!

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Jim got back to me fairly quickly (sent on a Saturday, got response the next Monday), but I know of a few others who stated he took a several weeks to respond.

Reaction score
That's interesting. I never would have thought of communicating with an agent from the same agency as that of another agent who had rejected me. Hmm.. I'll have to keep that in mind. Don't they talk to each other?
slingshott.gif

pen-ink

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.renee-carter.com
Thanks for the query-time help!

I think that agents do talk to each other, but I highly doubt that they talk about every one of the 200 queries they receive per week.

I'd suggest not querying another agent in a firm if you had a partial or full rejected. Also, some agencies state in their submission guidelines if a rejection from one agent = rejection from the whole agency.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting. I never would have thought of communicating with an agent from the same agency as that of another agent who had rejected me. Hmm.. I'll have to keep that in mind. Don't they talk to each other?
slingshott.gif

Sure, but not about every single person they reject. xP

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I've been rejected by everyone in the agency except the cleaning lady.

Hmmm, so there's still hope...

KJG

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed an equery to Jim on 9/1 and still haven't heard a thing. I was looking here for some guidance on how long it takes to get a yea or a nay. Looks like I should wait a couple more weeks before I try again to make sure mine didn't get lost...

K

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
K, I queried Jim on 8/28 and received a rejection on 9/23 so almost 4 weeks. Hope this helps!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I queried there on Aug. 21. Still no word. FWIW

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'd check to make sure he got it. I e-queried Jim on 9-13, got a full request 9-15 and the nicest rejection on 9-19. He's certainly capable of moving quickly! Hope that helps.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
As I said up-thread, Jim fished my query out of his spam filter about a month after I sent it, so be aware that things do get swept into spam.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
When I queried him back in May on a Saturday, he got back to me on Monday. So, it was a fast turnaround. However, his spam filter ate my partial the first time I sent it. So, something to keep in mind.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Michael Bourret. I got a request for a full from Jim McCarthy same day, so I believe the agents at Dystel share queries where they think it's a better match.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay - I have to ask before I start freaking myself out. I queried Miriam almost three weeks ago. Got a response from Jim 90 minutes later asking for the full. Which I happily sent and have since been counting the days (19 thus far). Now, given the thread-talk about his speedy responses and things getting snagged in filters, I'm wondering if and when I should query status/receipt?

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I always wait three months on a full or partial, but that is a personal preference, not a standard.