About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
GreasySpoon,

Congrats on finishing with all brain cells intact! I know just how you feel. I tried so hard this time to stick to the outline, but I have no idea whether I wrote enough good stuff. We'll just have to be miserable together.

I can't imagine moving during Prep, ack! I did have houseguests, and I was sick one day last week, so I lost some time, but I have moved 10 times since I was married and I know you had the bummer deal, packing and Prepping.

I hope you can quickly find some target pubs for your work if you aren't selected...but I'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
GreasySpoon, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! I hope that the quality of your work (and your dedication for going through Prep while moving!) shines through. :)

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Well, good luck! And down count yourself out yet... if you look back, many of us had big life events, vacations, etc., so it's possible that your competitors feel the same way you do.

Christy

Reaction score
Website
www.gardenwallpublications.com
My prep finished today, too (for the City Guide to Toronto). While I had no problem with the experience, I'm already pretty certain I won't be getting the job. I think the content I did post was high-quality, but based on what I've read here there isn't nearly enough of it. I lost a lot more time moving to a new apartment then I'd hoped to, but I also didn't do a good job of prioritizing which articles were most important to get done.

Ah well, live and learn. :) This was my first attempt at a proper non-fiction writing job, and I understand a lot more about SEO and such now.

Anyway, I still think the experience is worth the potential reward, and encourage people who think it might be for them to apply. Good luck to all those in prep or waiting to go into prep or waiting to hear if they're going to go into prep.

And to all the Guides who are in this thread - I'll be keeping using my bookmark folder of your sites. ;)

You never know...I think I just did the minimum plus a FEW. Maybe 3-5 pieces over the minimum.... Did you do the minimum?

I think prep is often like that. My beginning prep fell right in the middle of an annual camping trip at a place with NO INTERNET! I had to set up at the McDonalds in the next town over.
Then, my prep ended during my 5th anniversary in which we were SUPPOSED to drive down and stay a couple days in Chicago, but nixed that...

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
And on a completely unrelated tangent, I have to share this email I got today, via my about.com email address, which site readers can use to email me wtih comments or questions:

"Can you recommend a good website where I can learn about Wicca and Paganism?"

WTF???

The temptation to write back with "uh, THIS one, dingleberry" is a bit overwhelming, but I conquered my inner demons.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Patti, I got an email like that, too. Someone asked where they could find out about entering sweepstakes, so I referred them to my Start Sweeping in Seven Days E-Course. Seven days later, I get a second email, saying they signed up for the course, and it was really great, but there was just so much information in it. Couldn't I just summarize it and tell them where to find sweepstakes?

Bah... Day 4 is even called "Finding Sweepstakes to Enter"

Sometimes, I really have to wonder ;)

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Greetings from a newbie :)

~Hello everyone
It's been a treat reading through this thread and learning so much from you all!!
I am currently in wait mode for 2 applications with about; one 2 weeks ago and one yesterday. All of the exciting news and disappointments you have all shared have definitely given me a glimpse into what to expect from about. Thanks for the recommendation for Dave's Site - that was great help for HTML!
I have also checked out all of the current guide's sites and they are great - congratulations to all of you for your hard work!
I look forward to chatting with everyone in the future :)
~Elizabeth.

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm getting ready for my first review tomorrow and I'm hoping it goes okay. I haven't gotten much feedback so far so I'm not sure if I'm doing a great job or if I'm totally off. Wish me luck!

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel,
Good luck on your first review! Keep us updated.
I am still waiting to hear back from final review...though I imagine it might take awhile. I won't start worrying until later next week. :)

Has anyone else who finished up prep Monday heard back? Does anyone know how long it typically takes to hear back...I know it may vary.
Keath

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Rachael and Elizabeth, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both!

Klow, it took me nearly a month to hear back. Some have waited a bit longer, some have heard back within days. So hang in there, and try not to let it drive you crazy!

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
I think most people hear back within a week, but it took me about a month as well. If you don't hear by Monday morning, send a note to your prep mentor and ask about it.

Christy

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
Well, thanks to a very friendly little birdie out there, I found out the topic I'd applied for has been removed while they reorganize it. So that explains the lack of Prep, etc. Thanks again to a fellow writer for letting me know.

I have to admit, Prep sounds like a daunting process, but I still think I'd like to try it. Despite a time crunch, I now see another topic I'm interested that relates to my field. Dare I try this again?

Sending out good vibes to everyone waiting word from About.com.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
ModoReese, you should definitely try again! Prep is a lot of work, but I've found the job to be totally worth it. :)

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
I agree, ModoReese, try again! It is a lot of work, but it's only two weeks and a lot of the stress/anxiety comes from just really wanting the job. =}

Good news about the other topic, too. You can keep an eye out for its return.

We should be getting some news soon... I'm so excited for the folks waiting for Final Review results!
Christy

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
How long did it take everyone to hear back from your first review. My review was supposed to be this morning but I don't know when to expect some feedback. I'm hesitant to keep working until I know what I need to fix.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel,

Were I you, I'd keep working on new stuff. Your mentor will tell you what needs fixing in your review, but you shouldn't wait around for hours if you have time now to work. You'll have plenty of time to go back and fix things from the first review. Remember that your goal is high quality content, as much as you can produce.

Both times I went through Prep, I got first review responses by mid-afternoon. I imagine, though, it depends on your mentor's workload.

Good luck!

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Do any of you possibly know how many topics you can send applications in for at one time? With new topics being posted I figure it's best to apply when they are first put on the site and not wait the 8 weeks to hear a yes or no about the other topics. Thanks!

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks NancyP, wolflady26, MoreThanMommy and GardenWallPubs for the well-wishes and the positive thinking I apparently couldn't muster. :)

Turns out you were right, because I passed my prep!!!

Klow, in answer to your question, I actually heard back on Wednesday, I just didn't have a chance to come back to the board until now.

A HUGE thanks again to everyone who shared tips and info on this thread. And best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Now if you'll excuse me for a little bit, I've only got a week left to get my site (and myself) ready to go!

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, Greasy Spoon!! I'm so happy for you, and I'm looking forward to seeing you over on the New Guides Listserv, too! :)

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth, I haven't heard of a limit for topics that you can apply for, but I'd definitely focus on the ones you most want/have the best qualifications to win first. Remember that it doesn't always take 8 weeks to get a response, it depends on when your application hits the hiring cycle, how many other people applied, etc. I received my acceptance into Prep within 15 minutes of sending my application, so it can go really quickly, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.