• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Valerie Smith

The Scribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on this agency? I have seen it a several lists for agencies that represent fantasy, but I cant seem ti find out anything about the agency. Thanks

The Scribbler

Registered
Reaction score
thanks. Is there any way I can find out about clients or recent sales?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Val's clients include Madeline Robins, Sherwood Smith, Mary Frances Zambreno, and Steven Brust. I believe that Beth Bernobich, who sometimes posts here, is one of her clients.

The Scribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again. Since you seem to have the info, do you know what her submission guidelines are like?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Query letter, synopsis plus first 3 chapters according to another site

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
>>I believe that Beth Bernobich, who sometimes posts here, is
>> one of her clients.

I'm no longer a client, but yes, she is legitimate. Be aware that she tends to take a very (very) long time for replies.

Last edited:

special needs

Resident Airhead
Registered
Reaction score
Beth Bernobich said:
>>I believe that Beth Bernobich, who sometimes posts here, is
>> one of her clients.

I'm no longer a client, but yes, she is quite legitimate. Be aware that she tends to take a long time for replies.

The reason you are not still a client isn't something we should know about it, is it?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
special needs said:
The reason you are not still a client isn't something we should know about it, is it?

I'd say it boiled down to "things didn't work out." As with any other legit agent, some clients will find her the perfect agent, and some will not.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Valerie Smith also does not seem to respond to queries if she's not interested. Either that, or she's got a secret fetish for collecting airmail stamps on authors' SASEs.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
That's not unusual, actually. I'm now searching for a new agent, and I've seen quite a few guidelines that state the agent only responds if they are interested.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Val Smith is slow-moving, insightful, kind, maddening, extremely talented, not all that good at handling foreign rights, discreet, honest, funny, a tad forgetful, and has been at the heart of the whole Scribblies/Bordertown/Apanage/Ace/Tor/Firebird nexus of fantasy literature.

There's nothing wrong with Val that couldn't be cured by a clutch of house-elves with a knack for trafficking and filing.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
HapiSofi said:
Val Smith is slow-moving, insightful, kind, maddening, extremely talented, not all that good at handling foreign rights, discreet, honest, funny, a tad forgetful, and has been at the heart of the whole Scribblies/Bordertown/Apanage/Ace/Tor/Firebird nexus of fantasy literature.

There's nothing wrong with Val that couldn't be cured by a clutch of house-elves with a knack for trafficking and filing.

I'm about 61% certain that's a recommendation...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Manxom Vroom
Esteemed New Member

She's had my complete manuscript since the first week of April, and I'm waiting ever so patiently for a reply. In an odd sort of way, I find it comforting to know that she tends to be slow.
06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Beth Bernobich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxom Vroom
She's had my complete manuscript since the first week of April, and I'm waiting ever so patiently for a reply. In an odd sort of way, I find it comforting to know that she tends to be slow.
Just to give you some data points. The first time I submitted to Val, she took eight months to reply with a rewrite request, then three months to pass on the revised manuscript. A couple years later I tried her with a new probject, and she only took two months to reply with a 'yes' to the full manuscript. This doesn't mean her response times are improving, only that you can never tell when she'll be quick or non-responsive.
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Manxom Vroom
Esteemed New Member

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. As you were waiting did you ever give into the temptation to call and talk to her directly, to ask for an update? 8 months is a terribly long time to wait.
06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Beth Bernobich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxom Vroom
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. As you were waiting did you ever give into the temptation to call and talk to her directly, to ask for an update? 8 months is a terribly long time to wait.
No. iirc, she emailed me once during that time period to apologize for taking so long and to ask for more time.

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
I'm still waiting to hear back from her, and starting to think that if she had any real enthusiasm for my work, I would have heard something from her by now. To wait 8 months for a response, and then another 3 only to have your rewrite rejected...I'm just not sure that this is the kind of agent I want.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just FYI - one gets better results on Google Books, with the search string "agent [name]", with quotes. E.g., "agent valerie smith".

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Just to keep things up to date... While this agent apparently still accepts queries, I would strongly advise *against* querying her. For details, feel free to PM me.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
Valerie Smith Agency still Viable?

Anyone know if she is still out there? I checked PM and got nuthin, and forget Google. QueryTracker uses snail mail, but before I commit the postage, I was wondering if anyone had any deals.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding any activity after '14. Anyone else?