The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
(Filigree, that spezna was super HOT. It was an interesting few days, as you'll discover if you go back over the old threads -- at times, it was hilariously funny. It's why we invented a drink in his honour!)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Maybe))) Went through the second reads let down last month. :( Stings.

washingtonienne

Writing, running or drinking
Registered
Reaction score
Hey hellions,

I could use a hug/words of even delusional encouragement. My agent just sent me a batch of three rejections (she stores them up I think). That makes nine on the first cycle and four on this cycle (it's still out with five). Has anyone sold anything after so many R's? Feeling very self pitying today. :-(

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Maybe, those rejections when the book goes up the food chain...yeah, those really hurt. Because as hard as you try not to get your hopes up, it's hard not to. BUT, as my agent at the time said to me, it also means you're very very close, and the odds are good that someone else will pick it up.

<-----DC -- me. I forget how many I had. It might have been 30. I was on sub for over a year. And FWIW, that book that finally sold?

This just happened today...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((washingtonienne))) I fear to even look at the Rs anymore. :(

ETA: OL!!!! WOOT! WOOT!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, on the bright side your agent hasn't dumped you. They still believe in your work.

So... there's that.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
((washington)) It's hard when the rejections come, but you asked if anyone had sold after a number of passes. Yes. It happens. One of my friends sold after being on sub with one book for 15 months. It took a lot of perseverance for her and her agent, but it did get picked up and is doing pretty well. So it does happen.

I had a good talk with my agent today. We talked about my upcoming projects, and she is super excited about my little gremlins.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, OL! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone give this girl dancing bananas, will ya?

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, OL! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone give this girl dancing bananas, will ya?

At your command, my dear. :D

rainbow.gif
rainbow.gif

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey hellions,

I could use a hug/words of even delusional encouragement. My agent just sent me a batch of three rejections (she stores them up I think). That makes nine on the first cycle and four on this cycle (it's still out with five). Has anyone sold anything after so many R's? Feeling very self pitying today. :-(

Oh they pile up all right. But there are tons of pubs out there. You'll find one perfect for you :)

Maybe, those rejections when the book goes up the food chain...yeah, those really hurt. Because as hard as you try not to get your hopes up, it's hard not to. BUT, as my agent at the time said to me, it also means you're very very close, and the odds are good that someone else will pick it up.

<-----DC -- me. I forget how many I had. It might have been 30. I was on sub for over a year. And FWIW, that book that finally sold?

This just happened today...

Oh geez, if this doesn't motivate, I don't know what will! Congrats. That is the coolest thing!

ETA: oh right, I came here to complain about the line editing I'm doing right now. I think I go back out on sub next week. I mean...if I ever finish this.

Last edited:

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
To be honest? It was just kind of an, "Oh. Cool." moment. It's not that I'm jaded, it's not that at all. But a lot of the times for me, the bigger stuff doesn't really create the emotional response. Also, I was sort not surprised because of how many eBooks I sold with the K1ndle and N00k deal.

The times where it hits me are unpredictable and not always the things you'd expect. I will always remember after my first real book event (I'd done one prior in LA but everyone who showed up was a friend) and I went to Houston for an event at Murder by the B00k there with two other well-known authors. the owners took us all out to dinner after. That was one of those, "wow. These are my peers now. I'm part of this world," moments.

There've been others, too, and times when I've had this odd feeling of acceleration, like, wow, things are happening, this is really happening, I might actually have a future at this. But those moments aren't always the things I would expect them to be.

Plus, I am dealing with a lot of personal stuff which, I won't say it sucks the joy out of the accomplishments, because it doesn't. It's more like emotional whiplash. "Wow, this is really great! Yikes, this really sucks!"

And also, I am working on my third book for publication. There's a lot of stuff that goes along with being an "author." It really is a job. A job I really like. And a job that by its nature can be pretty emotionally taxing at times.

I'm just trying to do my work and stay sane. Figure out how to sustain myself and oh yeah, to pay my bills.

It's pretty interesting and most of the time, incredibly rewarding.

Forgive the ramble. I have like five more pages to write to knock off a draft of Book #3. I guess I'm procrastinating!

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. Still in my editing cave. Feeling anxious because my agents cuts are going to drop my word count below 50k and possibly as low as 45k. She told me not to edit with word count in mind but that makes me so nervous!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
That's great news, OL! Well, about the sales. I know how hard it is to finish a draft.

Washingtonienne, hang in there. I've been out there three months now, gotten three rejections and no second reads. I'm glad my agent submitted in small batches (I think we're up to eight total), but I'm feeling urges to snatch my ms. back and revise it. I've been working on it on and off for seven years, so I feel really strongly about not trunking it, even if that means (more) radical rewriting.

I have an IRL friend whose agent has tried all the possible larger imprints for her memoir and is suggesting she self-publish it. I hope I don't get there. But if I do, I'll take whatever options I've got.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
OL, I'm in the process of merging with my iPad now!

Misses, that's a good question — there's someone on AW who is doing it and is paying her agent the usual commission, I think. (She has a thread in the Self Pub forum somewhere.) Because the agent gave her edits and review contacts and maybe paid for design elements (not sure about that), it sounds like she's earning the commission. But I have no idea how often that happens. I should ask my friend whether her agent expects a cut...

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Trying not to be mopey but feeling...mopey. Do some publishers just not respond? Is there a no response = no at this level, too??? I would welcome a rejection at this point. Out on sub for almost 4 months now. 12 editors, 3 rejections, 1 interest but haven't heard back and the rest NADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.