Self-publishing by the Gutter

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I'm late reporting December sales due to being under the weather and not going to work (where my sales spreadsheet is). Finally went to the doc today and learned it's the flu. Hopefully I'll get to work Monday and can post some specific numbers.

But December was disappointing. I had 7 sales. One of those was at the Apple store, and probably happened in October or November, but was reported on Dec 1 so I'll count it in December. All the Kindle sales were of lower priced items, so I didn't even make payout in December.

January is starting a little stronger, with 2 sales so far.

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Hi Norman. I'm late in reporting December sales, too. lugging my laptop up the stairs is harder than slipping my iPad into my bag. You're still making forward motion. Here's to an uptick of sales in the new year.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I'm back at work, being mostly over the flu, and can finally post my sales graph. I'm going to report total sales for the year in another post, once I make up some slick tables like Merri uses.

2012-12-Cumulative-Book-sales-448x328.png

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Norman, I have just realized that I didn't comment in this thread so far, even though I have been following your story with great interest.

I want to say well done so far, and I wish you the best in 2013.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
So glad you're feeling better; that flu is nasty stuff. Wish I could understand graphs better. *sigh* I join Sio in wishing you the best in 2013.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I completed my 2012 sales table. I'll paste it in and see if it comes in at an acceptable size.

2012-total-sales-table1.png

Oh, that's not too bad. Hopefully people can read it okay.

NDG

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
That one I understand. Congrats on your sales for the year, Norman, and thanks for sharing. Are they all ebooks?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear that 2013 seems promising so far! Many good-luck vibes headed your way. :)

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
It's not time to report statistics for the month, but I found one interesting thing. So far in January I have six sales, one each of six different books. This is the first month for me to have six titles selling. So I thought I'd make a graph of titles published vs. titles sold, month by month. Here it is.

And of course the month isn't over yet. I have a definite uptrend in titles sold per month, somewhat lagging titles available. Now, if I could just sell multiple copies of each per month I'd be all set.

2013-01-Titles-Selling-graph.png

Last edited:

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Wow,

I didn't realize you had so many titles. Good Luck at nibbles before the end of the month.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Time to report in for January. In sales it was equal to December which was equal to November which was one less than October. I'm stuck on 7.

Here's the graph and table. Well, I guess the table is a bit large. Moderators, let me know if I need to resize it.

I decided to just delete the images. I'm way too image-challenged to devote the amount of time to it to figure it out. The learning curve is too steep each time I try it to get them small enough but still readable. If anyone wants to see my sales in a table and a graph you can check them out on my blog:

http://davidatodd.com/2013/02/01/january-2013-sales/

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Norman, you do need to resize your images.

Go and read the post about images in the FAQ room next time you're in doubt.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Seven looks like your lucky number for the new year. Your average is trending higher than one year ago. Hope you get another spike soon.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Still only two sales in February, but Kobo has now reported for January, and I had two sales there in January, both of the home school edition of my book Documenting America. So I'll have updated January numbers when I post in a few days for this month.

Last edited:

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
February ended as a total bust, with just two sales, the worst months since Sept 2011 when I had only two items published. It's not worth posting a graph or a table; plus I'm away from my spreadsheet for the weekend.

Hoping March is a turn-around month,
NDG

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
My sales held steady in March: 2, same as February. And I'm behind where I was a year ago, when I only had three items for sale. Here's the table.

2013-03-Book-Sales-Table-640x300-plus-or-minus.png

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for checking in, Norman. Hope it takes off like a rocket for you this month. I had 0 ebook sales in March... I need to get more titles up. Onward and upward!