Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
CraneJewelry--Redandgoldnecklace-1.jpg

Here's the new toggle. Much less flashy and more useful.

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this before. I've been beading for about three years. I'm in a bit of a slump right now - this was the first Christmas in two years that I didn't make anything for. But I'm hoping to get back into it by making simple projects just for myself, since most of my projects in the last year were for other people.

Fire Mountain Gems' shipping prices are horrendous for Canadians. The last time I tried to buy something from them, the shipping price was double the price of the actual items. :( I got a few good bargains off Amazon, but I don't have any other online retailers to buy from. I'll have to try Art Beads though, if their shipping is reasonable.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised they don't have a big wholesaler up there. It's a shame on the charges. Good luck.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this before. I've been beading for about three years. I'm in a bit of a slump right now - this was the first Christmas in two years that I didn't make anything for. But I'm hoping to get back into it by making simple projects just for myself, since most of my projects in the last year were for other people.

Fire Mountain Gems' shipping prices are horrendous for Canadians. The last time I tried to buy something from them, the shipping price was double the price of the actual items. :( I got a few good bargains off Amazon, but I don't have any other online retailers to buy from. I'll have to try Art Beads though, if their shipping is reasonable.

Canada post is odd. Friend of ours is going to ship a desktop tower to us. Looked at the regular post, and would have cost about $200 to send it. However when he looked at UPS it was only about $40.

So might see what different shipping methods will cost.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy:....so excited.

I went to part of the Gem Show yesterday. Sigh. If I was only a millionaire. :D Such deals. I did pick up some beads at really great prices. The vendors were super nice and very helpful. The choices were non-ending. I only got to go to one main location. Tucson has hundreds of them set up all over the place. I wish I could have found the one that sold pearls. Oh well...I am happy with what I did get to buy.

It's amazing at the real high end stuff that is out there too. I drooled over some things as I watched some ladies buy them like they were penny pieces of candy. :poke:

If any of you ever get a chance to go to one of the shows...go for it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Wow, my stuff is so bodgy compared to what I am seeing here. I just like to drill holes in things and put them on chains... But I will share anyway :)

tumblr_lylaauzt9B1r2ukzgo1_500.jpg

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hey, those are cool, Veinglory! I like the little horses.

I hit Tucson on Saturday. On a budget, so I didn't go as nuts as I usually do. Two little blue chalcedony cabs, one rainbow druzy quartz teardrop, and a bag of fossil mammoth ivory that will be scrimshaw panels in book art someday. If I had serious money, I'd order a necklace from a channel inlay master I met. I got his card: a girl can dream, can't she?

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the Tuscon shows a few years ago. Picked up a focus bead from Kimberly Aflek, some odd and ends and met a lot of the people I talked to over at some forums. :D fun times. One of these days I'll probably go again.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I have a very good friend who makes and sells jewelry through his website, Aquarius Custom Jewelry. He uses Fire Mountain for some of his purchases, walks the local woodland and collects stones for polishing, and relies on friends who travel internationally. (African countries, in particular, sell semi-precious stone necklaces in bazzaars. They inexpensive as they are usually strung with cheap twine)

Sometimes he finds components at yard sales.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Jay. It's always interesting to see what others are doing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I love making weird things into beads. Right now I have some vintage porcelain teeth (unusual old dental supplies). And also some rattle snake vertebra on order from Ebay.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ewwwww

I am such a baby still...not sure about bones yet. :D

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That is so cool....only needs some feathers? (I love feathers....lol)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I still don't know if I'm going, Mary. The only attending agent whom I've contacted hasn't responded to my query yet, and my other mms is still on sub to 4 e-pubs. Since I don't plan to pitch to any of the editors or agents, the panels are the only real reason to go besides socializing (and I do that here). $255 is a lot for my budget to bear, even if I can write it off as a business expense.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Someday soon, I want to repair or rebuild this thing.

Crane--Greenvest.jpg

It was inspired by some costumes I saw on the Sci-Fi Channel years ago, 'Farscape', I think. The model isn't me. She's someone photographed by Bead & Button Magazine when this piece made it into the 'Your Work' section a few years back. I love this green bead netted over-vest, but I can never sell it. It's too heavy. Some of the threads are weak enough that wearing it would be a one-time piece of performance art, as beads scattered to the far corners of the room. I'd be the class clown if it happened to me, but I'd be *mortified* if it happened to a client.

The next round will need steel cable or Kevlar thread, I think.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
ghhha hate FB sometimes. But try this link maybe G+ will work.

oh and from this I got another request for a necklace. :D

and I do love that piece. people don't realize how heavy glass seed beads can get. The vest I did a few years ago (Fully beaded on the front) weighed a good 10-15 lbs once I was done. I ordered almost 7 kilo of beads for it.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Love the long vest. I can see how it would weigh a lot.

The last link worked. Those are neat.

I am plugging away making stuff. Feel like I am in bead heaven right now.

Thanks for all the shares.

Last edited: