The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, got a little over 1000 words tonight on my write1 for this month. But feeling unusually tired for only 7:45 pm. I think I may end up calling it a night early, unless I get a second wind here pretty soon.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great story, JC!
Very creepy.

Congratulations :)

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Nice work, Joe.

Been working on revisions this week, trying to shave a couple thousand words off a weird western novelette. When I get it down to 10K, I'm thinking I'll sub it to Big Pulp or serialize it for Fried Fiction.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I just finished the 1st draft of my Pedestal story. If I can clean up one more story, I should be back on track.

And I started my novel. I couldn't help myself.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Just got an email from them saying they're closing after their October issue and the site will go dark as of December 1, so...yeah. Feeling great right about now.

That stinks, sorry to hear it. Also, I liked them. )-:

Still crickets here. Over average RT on three of the six things I have out, for a range of wait from 21 to 499 days.

Haven't been writing at all this week, which is an unusually long break for me. Too much life stress & stupid headache (day 175!) Maybe next week.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Just got an email from them saying they're closing after their October issue and the site will go dark as of December 1, so...yeah. Feeling great right about now.
Ahhh, so that's why I couldn't find their submission guidelines. Well that's awesome you got into their market.

Still crickets here. Over average RT on three of the six things I have out, for a range of wait from 21 to 499 days.

Haven't been writing at all this week, which is an unusually long break for me. Too much life stress & stupid headache (day 175!) Maybe next week.
Boo. :( Hate stress. Hope everyone is okay.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Gotten some writing done over the past few days. Also cleaned off my desk downstairs. (Not something I'd planned to do but it turned out the cats had been pissing all over my stuff so there wasn't much choice.) Now it's all refinished and clean. Nice.

Officially agreed to my contract with DSF. Now it's just a wait to see when they'll be publishing Insomnia.

Now, I'm off home to try and finish up the revisions to The Hardest Kiss. And (hopefully) watch the Eagles kick Atlanta's ass.

Later! :)

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Not too much new over here. Been busy trying to fix up some stories that have been rejected one too many times. A newer sci-fi story called "Infinity Outpost at the Edge of the Universe" has been giving me problems but I think I've got a solution for it. I also just figured out a fix to the story I entered into the Identity Crisis contest. All in all, it doesn't feel like I'm making much progress but I suppose I am just the same.

Once I finish those two stories, I'm moving on to revising the draft of a story I wrote last month. It's long though--over 7k--which is my longest short story to date.

Somewhere in there, I need to get forward motion on my novel. Too many projects! Brain going to 'splode!

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
A submission of mine has been out to The Paris Review for 108 days which isn't odd by their usual RT stats but in the past 30 days, all responses came in between 26 and 63 days.
Either my response got lost in the mail (which is actually quite likely since moving somewhat recently) or...? (Yes, being out almost twice as long as the most recent longest wait time has me hoping I'm in second round considerations or something).

Last edited:

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted Isolation to a market called Comets and Criminals. Some of you may have heard of it. ;)

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of good news around here lately! It's downright inspirational.

I'm supposed to be working on revising my darned novel, but instead tonight I wrote the first 600 words of a story intended for the Poe tribute volume (see Paying Markets). Having a lot of fun trying to ape Poe's style!

REDefiant

Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in. I haven't been keeping up with things, as my transition to college didn't include a comfortable place for me to write. It's strange how I need to have things just right to get in the correct state of mind to write.

However, writing has been on my mind a lot lately. It's something I don't think I'll ever be able to fully ignore, so I'll be back at it soon. Very soon.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in. I haven't been keeping up with things, as my transition to college didn't include a comfortable place for me to write. It's strange how I need to have things just right to get in the correct state of mind to write.

However, writing has been on my mind a lot lately. It's something I don't think I'll ever be able to fully ignore, so I'll be back at it soon. Very soon.

College freshmen as well? Me too. Finding time's rather more difficult now, though I've been somewhat managing and am hoping to do so more efficiently in the future.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, let yourself get settled into college, and writing will find you again -- right when you've got a big paper due, natch. :)

Crickets are positively geriatric over here -- I actually heard one today, instead of chirp, just sort of mumble "yeah, whatever."

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You had a version in July? I just got a draft finished this morning! Still needs a lot of polish, too.

right when you've got a big paper due, natch. :)
Yep, this. :) College can be a really fun writing environment, though, especially if you find some likeminded people.

I keep telling myself crickets are good luck. (particularly in regards to the AW anthology, but in general too)

Last edited:

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Some one on another forum compared waiting to Schrodinger's cat. It may be an acceptance or a rejection--- perhaps, one might say, it exists in an inbetween state.

Whereas, a rejection is a rejection. Nothing is ever going to make that rejection an acceptance.

So I don't mind waiting. :)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
This is a new awkward mistake for me: I just sent a submission with the wrong cover letter. As in, wrong story title, wrong word count, and wrong editor addressed at the top. I... don't think this editor's going to like me much. Not exactly my best day.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
This is a new awkward mistake for me: I just sent a submission with the wrong cover letter. As in, wrong story title, wrong word count, and wrong editor addressed at the top. I... don't think this editor's going to like me much. Not exactly my best day.

I suspect with everything so clearly wrong, it will be written off as an accident. Don't panic. :)

Procrastinating. I've two warring stories in my head and don't want to sit down to write either. Instead, I wonder why it must still rain. I go away for a week -- no rain. I come home -- rain all week. Perhaps I'll mope for a bit. I'm sure that will help.

My inbox is a barren wasteland at the moment. No responses and seven things out.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Combine them, I say! :evil

I more or less have one sub for the month, but it should be a 2,500 word story but the limit is 1,500.

Which is tempting me to do the unthinkable:

Write 1, Sub 1, then EXPAND the story while its with an editor. If it gets rejected, then I'll have the fuller version ready to go. If it gets accepted, well, I'll just be elated.

Procrastinating. I've two warring stories in my head and don't want to sit down to write either.