What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Vampire Academy. On page 82 and so far it's...okay. The beginning was good, but it seems to have slowed down a bit. She's created some interesting world building and background story regarding the vampires and their place in the world, but nothing much has been happening since they got to the academy. Just typical social click in schools type stuff. I can sense some foreshadowing, but I hope something happens soon. I do love Rose's voice. Right now it's carrying me through the book. Although the cover is driving me crazy 'cause every time I see it I swear I'm looking at Angelina Jolie :D

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
So I'm about a third of the way through The Truth About Forever... And the truth is that I am really bored. I don't quite know why I can't get into the book, but something is holding me back. It's really too bad because I want to like it. But I feel like I'm wading through a swamp and really getting nowhere fast.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Katallina, that makes me sad. Truth About Forever is one of my all time favorite books.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so while I was waiting on The Sky is Everywhere on hold from the library, (it's in now, and I really am about to start it.. I know I said that a few days ago, but this time I mean it :D) I read Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper. I'm not sure what I think of it. Is anyone familiar with the book? I really enjoyed the historical aspects of it, the setting, the characters, but the story dragged. It's frustrating when I can't figure out whether or not I like a book.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Katallina, that makes me sad. Truth About Forever is one of my all time favorite books.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up. :) It might be that I'm reading this right after Perfect Chemistry, or it might be that this is the third contemporary that I've read in a row and it's time to read something in a different genre next go-around for a change of pace.

Part of it may also be that because of their varying situations, the characters (excluding the Wish crew) are all very controlled in one way or another. Someone needs to shake some of these people up a little.

Nothing wrong with the writing or characterization or anything in and of itself. I'm pretty sure that it is a "me" issue here.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm reading POSSESS by Gretchen McNeil and I'm glad I'm reading it in the daylight. So scary (in a good way).

Me too! And loving it. Almost finished. I'll be posting a review when I'm done. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Finished THE NEAR WITCH last week and LOVED it. It was absolutely fantastic, and I'm going to be doing a blog review. :LilLove:

Reading a few adult books for a while before going back to YA.

I posted a review on that one a couple weeks back. LOVED it!

milkymoon

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the Goldsmith's Daughter by Tanya Landman, which was beautifully written and very enjoyable!

synger

Analysis Paralysis
Registered
Reaction score
My 10yo daughter and I read Cart and Cwidder this summer.

I'm reading her Leviathan. It's our first "steam-punk" type of book. I read her the first four chapters, so she could ask questions about what was going on. Then she got hooked enough to begin reading it on her own.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
My 10yo daughter and I read Cart and Cwidder this summer.

I'm reading her Leviathan. It's our first "steam-punk" type of book. I read her the first four chapters, so she could ask questions about what was going on. Then she got hooked enough to begin reading it on her own.

YAY FOR READING 10 YEAR OLDS!!!! :hooray:

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
I read WATERFALL and part of CASCADE today. They were the only books I had on hand, and I told myself they couldn't be as bad as I was making them out to be. You know those books? The ones you feel kind of obliged to keep reading, in the hope that they will somehow end much, much better than they started?

I should know better by now.

The premise got me so excited, but the heroine left me cold. In the first forty-odd pages, she takes an instant dislike to one female character for no discernible reason, except that the character "reminds" Gabriella of girls she hasn't liked before. Gabi sarcastically says that Romana is as "innocent as a streetwalker" and notes that she uses a "trampy" way to get a man (never mind that he's Romana's intended husband) to notice her.

Seeing a pattern?

A slut-shaming teenage character may be an accurate creation, but I don't find her admirable, especially since she never recants her behaviour. Add to that a fair amount of clumsy word choice and the fact that some of Gabi's slang is outdated and "teen" voice seems forced and inauthentic, and . . . bah.

CASCADE is somewhat better than WATERFALL and I am determined to see it through to the end, but I am overall disappointed. I wanted to like these books so badly. I love historical ANYTHING. I thought these would be fantastic, and I was sorely disappointed. There was a certain amount of period accuracy, which I appreciated, but by the second or third time I tripped over a 14th century Italian character offering up a bizarrely 21st century Evangelical-style prayer, I was pretty much over the whole thing.

On the bright side, I think these books will ensure I am a much more appreciative reader when I return to THE GIRL IN THE STEEL CORSET!

Last edited:

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I started Imaginary Girls, but then the kids stole the ipad, so now I'm tackling Invincible Summer. I'm really loving it so far. :)

valeriev89

Newbie and proud of it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start reading the last book in the Privilege series by Kate Brian. Love her! Those books were awesome.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished THE DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD by Sarah Silverwood, which was an interesting YA fantasy set in London and an alternate London comprising of different time periods. It's a good idea, well executed and the set-up for the sequel will have me reading on.

I also finished THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES by Carrie Ryan, which I enjoyed (not least because you find out what happened to Mary) but her daughter Gabry was a bit too passive for me and the combination of the chase and the love triangle storyline meant that it felt a bit of a rehash of THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH.

I'm back on adult fiction for a bit, but bought a copy of the new Derek Landry book in the SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT series, which I'm really looking forward to.

MM

Sandino

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandibjones.blogspot.com
reading CHIME

I'm reading Chime and actually left it at my cabin last weekend. It's driving me nuts that I didn't get to finish it! In the meantime, I'm starting an arc of The Rivals.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Invincible Summer. Definitely one of my favorites this year. Now starting Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm just about to crack open Cheryl Rainfield's HUNTED. Very excited to be doing so!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... Madame C.J. Walker: Self-Made Businesswoman, by Yannuzzi.
Not the best bio I've read; not the worst.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Went on a huge shopping spree today because Chapters / Indigo was offering books for Buy 3 Get 1 Free. I got:

-- Shut Out (Yes, I got it a day early. No, I'm not reading it yet because it's on my book wars poll)
-- Matched
-- Chain Reaction
-- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (free)
-- Rules of Attraction
-- Dragon's Oath
-- Invincible Summer
-- Shiver (free)
-- I Am Number Four
-- Will Grayson, Will Grayson
-- Firelight
-- Jekel Loves Hyde (free)

I also grabbed Witches of East End from WalMart for 30% off.

I can tell my brothers' Christmas shopping for me is going to be very easy this year: two trips to Chapters (since I have two brothers) complete with gift cards. Books aren't as expensive as games, but they add up quick. ;)

Where the heck will I begin here...?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, some good books there, Katallina!

Just finished Vampire Academy and REALLY loved it. Starting now on The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.