Beta Readers/Crit Requests

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Needs some eyes on a 2,800-word genetically based sci-fi/horror (light on sci-fi and horror). Willing to trade it for a return-crit.

I know that I'm new here, but I'd be willing to do this. Not to mention, incredibly willing to provide critique for anyone in the horror, sci-fi, fantasy, urban fantasy, literary categories. I'd prefer not to read erotica or gore for the sake of gore, but other than that, I'm pretty open and hard to offend.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I know that I'm new here, but I'd be willing to do this. Not to mention, incredibly willing to provide critique for anyone in the horror, sci-fi, fantasy, urban fantasy, literary categories. I'd prefer not to read erotica or gore for the sake of gore, but other than that, I'm pretty open and hard to offend.
Sounds good. I'll email you the details. Thanks for the offer and, of course, I'm willing to read something of yours in response!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 2500 word fantasy/magical realism story that I'd like extra eyes on. It's emotional, and hugely personal, and possibly the best thing I've written so far--and I'm hoping to get as much feedback as possible on it from various sources before submitting it into the world.

It's currently on draft 2 as I took advantage of some amazing feedback the original draft got from people.

Anyone who's willing to take a look, please let me know.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a technician, but I know what I like.

If you want me to read it, send it. Have you still got my email?

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, I'd be happy to take a look as well if you still want eyes. I'm on vacation until tomorrow, but I'm open after that.

Thank you, that would be great. Please PM me your e-mail address or e-mail me at kingsgames at gmail dot com

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
On its way once i've sorted a title my good chap...

Anyone else up for it? I should have said I'm happy to lend my eyes and poor excuse for a brain in return.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
On its way once i've sorted a title my good chap...

Anyone else up for it? I should have said I'm happy to lend my eyes and poor excuse for a brain in return.
I'm fine with swapping once I finish these revisions--that is if you don't mind my story being twice yours length. Do you like humor? It's a SF/crime/humor piece.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1000 word dark literary piece that I would love another set of eyes on. Anyone game?

Sure, send it to kingsgames at gmail dot com

Not sure how much help I'll be on literary--I write and read speculative almost exclusively--but I'll do my best.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the responses.

Defcon - I have a slightly longer story I'll need crit for in a few days so maybe we can swap those in time with your revisions? Can you pm your email?

Alex - The story above is slightly more SF/horror so possibly up your street. I'll sent it your way in a day or so if that is cool?

KD - message on the way.

You guys are awesome. :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PD - send whenever you're ready.

...and I could use eyes on another story (1500 words, SF). Problem is, there is a VERY short turnaround time on this one. If anyone is able to take a look tonight or tomorrow, please let me know. I'll be happy to reciprocate.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Project Greenlight, or anyone else. I'm open for a swap. I have a short piece (I think under 2000 words) I need critted too. It's absurdist-fantasy in the middle of a transformation, so probably an uneven read at this point.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
PD - send whenever you're ready.

...and I could use eyes on another story (1500 words, SF). Problem is, there is a VERY short turnaround time on this one. If anyone is able to take a look tonight or tomorrow, please let me know. I'll be happy to reciprocate.
You can hit me up, if you want. I don't have anything else to swap at the moment--unless you want to look at my revised draft.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, you guys. I sent the story to all three of you. E-mail me your stories whenever they're ready for critique. I can generally do a very quick turnaround except on weekends (when I work crazy hours).

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have less of a crit request and more of a general question that I'm hoping some of you can help me muddle out. I have a story that has seen 2 rounds of rejections. Both rejections were personal and remarked that the story was predictable due to the character of the grieving mother driven mad by the loss of a child.

Long story short, a woman suffers a series of miscarriages, begins bring dolls into her home and treats them as a children, then knocks husband out and "feeds" them with his and her blood. At the conclusion, the husband accepts the idea. That's the Reader's Digest version any way. :)

I'm proud of this one, but I'm considering swapping the roles to turn the trope on its ear, if you will. Instead of the woman slowly going crazy, it would be the husband....

Anyone have any thoughts??

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well subverting that trope can work. As is, you have a workable horror story plot. Once you turn it around, you've got domestic abuse/violence to women issues that many editors will stay well clear of.

I haven't read the story, but the husband accepting the idea doesn't strike me as overly predictable, as long as you don't telegraph it somehow earlier in the story.

Also, you've got two personal Rs. Although those editors found the story predictable, they liked it enough to comment upon. I'd continue shopping it around.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not sure how well subverting that trope can work. As is, you have a workable horror story plot. Once you turn it around, you've got domestic abuse/violence to women issues that many editors will stay well clear of.

I haven't read the story, but the husband accepting the idea doesn't strike me as overly predictable, as long as you don't telegraph it somehow earlier in the story.

Also, you've got two personal Rs. Although those editors found the story predictable, they liked it enough to comment upon. I'd continue shopping it around.

You just said the exact words I needed to hear. My hero!! :Sun:

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Hey all! Looking for a beta reader for a 7100 word dark fantasy story, Dragon Maiden. A little blood and gore, a lesbian dragon, and magical instruments made of bone. My twisted version of a fairytale.

I'd be happy to return the favor, and I can crit quickly if needed. Thanks!

ETA: Got a beta reader, thanks!

Last edited: