• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody heard from Scott one way or another?

timjolly

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jita Fumich with an urban fantasy on Oct 18, 2011. I hadn't heard from her by her 2-4 week response time (as posted on her Agent Bio page), so I sent her a re-query on Jan 20, 2012 (about 3 months after the first query).

I've just passed the 4 week mark again since my re-query.

Should I just try a different agent at Folio? It's a shame, since she'd be a perfect match (in terms of interests), and I appreciate that Folio doesn't like submissions to multiple agents.

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert Tim, but you may want to cool your jets. I'm thinking that it's a no if it took 3 months on the first and it's been 4 weeks on the second. But I wouldn't send a query (on the same project) to another agent in this agency for some time, if I were you. Four weeks is still in the generally acceptable response window and sending another query to someone in this agency while this is out there would still constitute a multiple submission.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
If you haven't heard from an agent in their window of response time and they are no-response=no, you can query someone else there.

timjolly

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Very good points.

From what I see on her Bio, she is a "responder": "I will respond to queries within 2-4 weeks."

But I'll wait anyway. Surely two queries is sufficient. I don't want to make a pest of myself after all. Besides, I have a few irons in the fire elsewhere (or rather the same iron in other fires elsewhere). Perhaps it's just not meant to be with Folio.

I do see that Jita just joined Twitter, so maybe that's a good sign?

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Scott through his webform today for my historical fiction. After researching him I am excited about the prospect. I don't know how I didn't come across him earlier, because it seems like we would be a good match. Will post back once I hear something.
Bryan

timjolly

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jita Fumich with an urban fantasy on Oct 18, 2011. I hadn't heard from her by her 2-4 week response time (as posted on her Agent Bio page), so I sent her a re-query on Jan 20, 2012 (about 3 months after the first query).

I've just passed the 4 week mark again since my re-query.

Should I just try a different agent at Folio? It's a shame, since she'd be a perfect match (in terms of interests), and I appreciate that Folio doesn't like submissions to multiple agents.

Just got my partial request from Jita!

Turns out that SPAM filters are my bane. She was extremely apologetic about the delay in response, which I thought was very gracious, especially considering it wasn't her fault at all.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

I also enjoy that she asks for the first 100 pages: my novel takes quite a turn after the first 50, so it can throw agents off if they only ask for the first few chapters.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Just got my partial request from Jita!

Turns out that SPAM filters are my bane. She was extremely apologetic about the delay in response, which I thought was very gracious, especially considering it wasn't her fault at all.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

I also enjoy that she asks for the first 100 pages: my novel takes quite a turn after the first 50, so it can throw agents off if they only ask for the first few chapters.

Best wishes!!!

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Got a form rejection from Scott on Friday. Oh well, onward I go. Just sent another query out. My agent is out there!!!
Bryan

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
Question to those of you who've submitted to these folks: did you use your regular query letter? Their sample query letter seems to be very different from the standard, at least as I understand it to be. Instead of "information on the novel" being the main focus, it's just one of many other points - hook, personalized "why I think we'd be a good match", background info, submission info. So it looks like they'd like people to sum up their novels in 3 sentences or so, no? Happy to do that, but if no one else is, maybe I'm reading this wrong. Posting the sample query link below.

http://foliolit.com/submissions/basic-information-on-query-letters/

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
They're asking for a log line and the like in addition to the standard query blurb of about 250 words (which is the basic standard).

Yes, when I q'd, I used my normal query which begins with the reason I'm q'ing that particular agent, then the logline then the 250 words then the closing. I'm currently waiting to hear back on a full request with them.

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
Aaah. I thought it was supposed to be around 250 words total. Lawdy, I miss living in the UK where you don't have to go the query route. I should be able to rearrange a few things.

Thanks so much for answering my question, Bethany, and congrats and good luck on the full!

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
All told, I think mine is only about 15-20 words over that. Other than pubbing credits, there shouldn't be too much more you need to say, yeah?

luxisufeili

Aspiring to be non-rejected
Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query to Molly Jaffa today. Stalked some of her interviews on several blogs and she seems awesomely awesome.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to Molly Jaffe on July 3. No news yet. Don't know if she's a non responder.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Just an update. Paige Wheeler has had my full since October. I've sent her three nudges starting at the six month mark and haven't heard back as yet. (I'll make sure to update if/when I do.)

Especially since it was an upgrade from a partial (on which she or her reader/intern/someone took 9.5 weeks to reply), I am surprised by the nonresponse. I still don't venture a guess - although I'm sure plenty of people would just write it off - as to why the lack of communication since I'm completely ignorant of how her duties as co-founder and agent break down. I'd welcome the chance to hear her thoughts on the ms, esp as I have an r&r on it from another agent.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Sent Scott Hoffman a query through the webform on 7/15/12
Received a form reject on 7/23/12

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I sent Scott a query and he rejected, but he has to be the best agent in replying--he was very positive, and even encouraged some things ie re-do the query, and try again instead of just the "sorry, but not for me goodluck finding someone" rejection

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I sent Scott a query and he rejected, but he has to be the best agent in replying--he was very positive, and even encouraged some things ie re-do the query, and try again instead of just the "sorry, but not for me goodluck finding someone" rejection

Yeah, even the form rejection I got had a lot of useful info in it. :)

Preacher'sWife

Crack that WIP!
Registered
Reaction score
in my own little corner, in my own little chair
Paige tweeted tonight: "I just found out that my query email addy has been misplacing emails for months! Yikes. Sorry everyone."

I wonder if that means we should requery if she hasn't responded or if she found the queries she's been missing and will now be catching up?