Question about web series

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello, one more stupid question. Would it be better just to make a web series, is it easier than trying to actually get something on TV? I have a new idea abrewing, and have decided that it's going to be a continuing story. Would it just be easier to do a web series. I know people who might be able to help.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Hello, one more stupid question. Would it be better just to make a web series, is it easier than trying to actually get something on TV? I have a new idea abrewing, and have decided that it's going to be a continuing story. Would it just be easier to do a web series. I know people who might be able to help.
I'm not sure if I understand the question?

Would it be better... than what?

You can upload anything you like to the internet, whereas getting something on TV requires contacts, recommendations, consistent writing to schedule, and more... so making a web series yourself is probably easier, yes. What does it get you? I dunno, depends how great you are at advertising and drumming up interest in your web series, I guess. If it's a brilliant idea with broad appeal, Kickstarter might get you something.

Sorry for being so nebulous... but I think maybe your questions were, too. :)

-Derek

MrJayVee

Pro scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theworkingscreenwriter.blogspot.com
Web-series...

Yes, doing your own web-series is far easier than trying to get your show on cable or network TV (which is next to impossible). But you can certainly write something, produce it yourself, then post it on YouTube, or any such venue, for all the world to see. Question is: Will anyone watch it--and if they do, will it be successful? Will "Hollywood producers" take notice and offer you some sort of deal to purchase your idea/story/concept? Doubtful, but hey, it does happen. Will your show go viral and can you make money from advertising? Again, it's doubtful, but it happens. But is this about making boatloads of money, or is it about the creative process and sharing your vision with others around the world? Once you figure that part out, you can make your decision. Good luck!

PS: I wrote a web-series a few years ago. Not many people have seen it, but man, I sure did have a heck of a great time being part of the production process. Feel free to check out the first episode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXO7xc4ia-g

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I watched it. It was good, I enjoyed it. I was asking is it easier to get a web series made than it is to get something on a network. I probably can't get something on a network. Anyway, the thing for me would be that it would be my baby, and you don't just let anyone play around with your baby. So I am interested in seeing that if it is made, it's made right. Then again, what I want may not be what the people want to watch, but at least I won't have to make huge sacrifices. And it's probably easier to find someone to produce something like this as well. Anyway, that's what I wanted to know. Anybody else have any ideas?

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Do you have extensive connections in production? Do you own, or know someone who owns, the equipment and skills necessary to produce your series? If not, do you have the money to hire/rent that equipment and skillset?

Assuming you have a really GREAT web series written - say ten to twelve five to ten minute episodes. They are just FANTASTIC!. You have terrific actors, skilled at acting for the camera - not the stage - you have connections with people who are at least decent at camera work, costuming, lighting, location management, catering etc. etc. -

Have you ever produced a short film? Was it made 'right'? Exactly the way you wanted it, without sacrificing on acting, sets, costuming, camera, sound, lights?

Because film is probably the MOST collaborative art form there is - you're ALWAYS 'sacrificing' something - time, money, patience - to get the thing done.

My suggestion is to write one episode - and try and produce it. If it's as fun and fullfilling and great as you think it should be - make the rest.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okay, thank you. I know some people who may be able to help. I will contact them and see if they're willing, and if they are I will send them the treatment first, then the episode. Anyway thank you for your advice. We'll see how it goes!

Ucla_sb

Registered
Reaction score
It seems everyone i know is trying to produce a webseries these days. It is far easier to do a web series than get on a network i can assure you with my very limited knowledge of the tv industry. One guy i recently met that is on the second season of his webseries claims he is in the process of making deals to do graphic novels, mobile gaming, and novels. Now if any of that is professional interest or just him finding someone who says they can write/program/draw and he is having them do it on their own dime, I dunno. Good luck with it!

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Well the issue right now is, I'm a writer all alone with friends far away who might be able to help. I live in North Eastern Oregon, where there are only tumbleweeds, so not much film making goes on here unless I go over the mountain to Eastern Oregon University, and those students probably don't want to waste their time with a web series. I don't know what to do at the moment. Everything is still in the logistical phase, so we'll see.