• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chipmunka Publishing

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
And also the edition--so a paperback and hardback of the same book, from the same publisher, would usually have different ISBNs.

Alicia0099

Drawing the Story
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I wanted to share my experience with chupmunka and maybe get some advice?

They found my self-published book, The Crazy Inside: A poetic journey through manic depression, on myspace a long time ago. I signed a contract with them. They told me it would be an e-book and then 9 months later it would be published in print. Well, almost three years later I never saw a dime and it never went to paperback printing. I asked to be let out of my contract since they didn't hold up their end. They said that was fine. To this day they are still selling my book on amazon through kindle and I have NEVER seen a dime.

So if you are considering chipmunka, I would most definitely reconsider. Also, does anyone know what I can do about this?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Have you got it in writing that your rights have now reverted? If so, have you contacted Chipmunka and pointed out that as the rights have now reverted, they shouldn't be selling your book?

Even though your book is for sale, it might not actually be selling any copies, so you might not be owed anything anyway. Do they supply you with royalty statements?

There are lots of problems to sort out here: you should do all you can to resolve this with Chipmunka but if you can't manage that, you will probably have to get a lawyer involved.

Alicia0099

Drawing the Story
Registered
Reaction score
I do have it in an email.

Also, when my book was selling on lulu I did very well, I doubt in the five years or so it's been since this started I haven't sold ONE copy. I'm thinking of having my mom, who just bought a kindle, buy one just so I can say I know at least one was purchased.

I do not receive royalty statements.

I have emailed them asking why it's still available and they do not respond.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
If you have evidence the rights have reverted you can file a DMCA with Amazon and they'll take the book down. It's what a lot of the AMP authors are doing right now.

Alicia0099

Drawing the Story
Registered
Reaction score
If you have evidence the rights have reverted you can file a DMCA with Amazon and they'll take the book down. It's what a lot of the AMP authors are doing right now.

Thank you so much!

My mom bought a copy on her kindle today and it did go through. anger!

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Give it a couple of days. I've bought books before on Amazon and the sale went through. Then a few days later I received a note that the book was out of print, they couldn't get it and my account was credited for the price I paid.

If you don't get that notice in a few days, then... well, there you are.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've had that happen with print books, but Alicia0099 stated her mother bought it on the Kindle. That should mean instant delivery.

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to share some news about Katy Sara Culling who was also a Chipmunka author has passed away. I was very depressed since I had befriended her here. I am also a Chipmunka author. I don't want to say anything else about that here as this is about Katy Sara and her sad passing. She was a wonderful person and very prolific. She wrote five books with Chipmunka. She has a fb page if you knew her here and want to leave a condolence. Aloha Maya

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Mayaone, thank you for letting us know. I'm so very sorry to hear it -- she was far too young to be already finished. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones.

Last edited:

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you MacAlister. She was a wonderful person who helped many people with mental illness but couldn't deal with her own. She will be missed by so many

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to share some news about Katy Sara Culling who was also a Chipmunka author has passed away. I was very depressed since I had befriended her here. I am also a Chipmunka author ...

Mayaone,

I'm so sorry. This is horribly sad news. My deepest sympathies to you, and all of Katysara's friends and loved ones. If there's anything you want to say about her--unrelated to anything other than honering what Katysara meant to you--there is a totally non-agency/non-publisher related thread here. It's for rememberances of members who have passed, and nothing else. Anyone can start a thread.

Mac has already changed her tag.

Condolences,

GB

The Horror Zine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thehorrorzine.com
I know there have been previous threads about Chipmunka Publishing, but I would like to recommend my Beware Page about them here:

http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Beware/Chipmunka/ChipmunkaPublishing.html

Please, if you are considering Chipmunka Publishing, please read my Beware Page about them first, before you sign any contracts. An informed decision is a better decision.

If you have been a victim of Chipmunka, I would love to hear from you at [email protected]

P.S. The Horror Zine works best with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari browsers, but not very well with the Internet Explorer browser.

Thanks,
Jeani Rector, Editor
The Horror Zine
http://www.thehorrorzine.com

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
Removing a book from Chipmunkapublishing

Don't worry about removing a book from Chipmunka - heard of other people who had to do it too and it does say on their website that authors can remove their books if they want to (so they must be used to it!)

Apparently all you need to do is email them saying you are removing the book immediately and ask them to return the digitial format or whatever it is they use and ask for the e book to be removed from the digital list. Say why you are removing it too is a good idea - keep it short and if you want you can CC a mental health organisation, newspaper, media folk etc etc into the email too- it will be removed in a flash!!

Not only is this vanity publishing (taking money from authors) vaguely disguised as 'doing good works on mental health'- it is a particularly dubious outfit so the best thing would be to stay well clear in the first place.

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
They seem to want a lot of money from their authors for their 'services' etc - that in itself is a warning. Doesn't matter what they are raising awareness about either. Authors should never have to pay anything to a publisher

And as the authors themselves have to buy the books (even at 'discount') to promote/sell etc - this 'publisher' will be making money out of them. Always keep clear of any publisher who wants money from an author - the real/genuine ones don't.

Last edited:

Jeani Rector

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Jeani, we have a thread on Chipmunka on the Beware forum.

Your cautionary posts belong in the beware forum. It's probably best to check if we have a thread on a particular publisher before starting a new one. (I'm not being snarky here. Your new and it's understandable you didn't know about the beware forum. Welcome!)

Jeani Rector

Registered
Reaction score
Chipmunkapublishing.com (Chipmunka Publishing)

Thank you. My only concern is for writers.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of being ironic, please keep all discussion of Chipmunka in the existing thread. Merged. Again.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I want to take a moment or two to complain about Chipmunka.

A friend of mine is pubbed through them. Yes, I believe she has sadly learned her mistake. Anyways I read her book and went on CM site to review it. That was over a year ago. Ever since then at least 2-3 times a week I get emails from them. SPAM. nothing about any specials book offers or anything like that. They want me to go to their s****y semiar on mental illness. Yes, they actually send customers emails on why they are a great pub. Jason is always praising his own books, you know, the one where he admits to raping a girl and getting away with it. I have labeled the emails as spam and have reported them to yahoo, but it never stops. For the low, low price of 139 euros, or whever they use in London, sorry not very worldly ;), I can attend. It is ridiculous. I just reviewed a damn book lol and now they want me to write and sell them my own memior? How ballsy does one have to be to ASSUME all of their customers are off their rockers?

BTW-I do have a mental illness but that is besides the point