• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jan Dennis Literary Services (formerly Jan P. Dennis Lit. Agency)

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Yes ma'am. I felt pretty sick about it, but the stress was driving me nuts.

Oh no, Judg! That's terrible! I had no idea he would do this to clients. It's not forgiveable to do to people who are querying or have fulls out to him...Yes, I'm in that club--don't expect to hear back, maybe it's a good thing!!!

Anyway, I'll be thinking of you, and if you need some C leads, let me know.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Judg}}} Oh, no! I am so sorry for you!

I have a list of agents who like dark fantasy, if you'd like it--some won't be appropriate, but hey, you never know! PM me.

ETA: Come to Purgatory. We have booze, food, corners to moan in, and walls to beat our heads against.

Last edited:

stevewed

Aspiring Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steveweddle.com
I'll probably be starting again tomorrow. Thanks for the well-wishes, people, I appreciate it.

Good luck moving forward. My guess is that the book is better than it was before you found this agent. So, you should have an easier time finding a good agent this time around. Fingers crossed.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to query out my new novel this coming Mon. and Jan Dennis was the #1 man on the top of my list. He would be beyond perfect for my writing.
After hearing this, I just don't know what to do...

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I don't know what to tell you, Leigh, about whether to query him or not. I can tell you that of all the names of clients that he mentioned to me, only one of them is still a client. I did ask for a list of current clients, but he never gave it to me. I also asked for a copy of the agency agreement (we had a "handshake" kind of deal) which he said he would send me. He didn't.

He has also never acknowledged, in any way whatsoever, the email and snail mail I sent him terminating our agreement.

If you want more details, PM me.

archliterary

Surprised by Joy...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am Jan's daughter and agency partner and would like to make some announcements: As some in the industry know, Jan suffered a major heart attack in April, 2007. He is recovering well, but has still not been able to work 100%. Additionally, Jan's first 'job' is taking care of my 30 year-old autistic brother, Christopher, who is becoming more 'high-needs' as he gets older. We have additionally had a very serious family crisis regarding one of my sisters. The good news: JPD Literary Services is gearing up to get back in the saddle. We are creating a new website and adding editors who will provide additional contact with clients. We understand communication has been a problem in the past, though I can confidently say this has never been intentional on Jan's part. It's not easy to run a literary agency on ones own. Jan continues to be a paragon for finding new talent, and we will be actively seeking just that beginning December 2009! Look for our website in the coming months at: jpdliterary.com. We look forward to your future submissions.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I met Jan at one of the Glorieta conferences where I was on staff back in I think '05 or '06. Very nice guy, very knowledgable about the industry, and very approachable. Thanks for the update, Arch, and my best wishes for his speedy recovery!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website never materialized. Anyone know of recent activity?