Revision request quandary

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
I’ve had 6 requests for my manuscript so far, all from really good agents – 1 passed, another appears to have been plunged into an existential crisis at having to make a decision and has requested more time, 3 have only had it for a few weeks, and 1 has offered to help me with some extensive revisions.

Revisions would be awesome – I’ve read so many good things about this agent and I’d be an idiot to turn down one-on-one help. Only, before the agent goes through my manuscript a second time and provides detailed notes, they want to confirm I’m not in talks with other agents as it’s a big time commitment for them. I don’t want to burn bridges with the 3 recent requesting agents by pulling the manuscript from consideration -what if the revision suggestions don’t gel with me and I've lost out on getting some feedback from the others?

What do you guys think? Shall I say I don’t want to pull it until I’ve seen the revision notes? Or offer to get back when the other agents have had a chance to read it? Or ask them to send me a few ideas of what changes would be required? Or trust that they know what they're talking about and go for it?

I've not been querying it for long enough to have reached the stage where I'm willing to hurl myself at the first agent to take a real interest! What would you do?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd let the other agents know that you've been made this offer--which isn't necessarily an offer of representation--and ask if they could let you know one way or the other if they'd like to offer you representation within a week or ten days.

Something like that.

Zombie Kat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
Ohhh, I would never even have considered being so pushy! That sounds like a good idea.

Yeah, it's definitely not an offer of representation but I'm in no rush to find an agent who'll take me on if the book isn't ready.

Last edited:

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I was in a similar situation -- one agent offered to give detailed revision notes, but only on an exclusive basis while a second agent still had the full. Not wanting to burn bridges, I explained I could not offer the exclusive but would contact them right away if the situation changed.

The other agent did pass, and I did e-mail the first agent the day it happened letting them know the manuscript was now available. However, due to some staff changes at the agency in the in-between time, they could no longer offer the detailed notes and gave me only some brief ones instead. They still offered to look at a revision, and now I had the freedom to query others at the same time, so I guess some might argue that I didn't end up too bad for it.

Still, the revision I ended up sending them relied heavily on notes from betas, so for all I know I took the novel in a totally different direction than they wanted. That's the risk, I guess.

Congrats on your success so far and best of luck.

annetpfeffer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annepfeffer.com
Congrats on getting the interest of so many top agents, and good luck on your journey. Sounds like you've written a good one!

Zombie Kat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
Thanks guys. I feel so close to writing a good book, but the feedback is always 'interesting writing and premise but your plotting makes me want to cry'!