• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Robert Astle & Associates Lit. Mgmt / Astor + Blue Editions

jennifer williams

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering, since Rayna is building her own client list, is it appropriate to send a query to the agency addressing her? Or should I still have it addressed to Robert and hopes she reads it? The reason I'm wondering is cause I already wrote this agency off as I didn't think his client list matches my novel.

However, after reading her blog (thanks Stikan for providing that!) I think that she would be a good fit.

Stikan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stinakanaris.com
Jennifer,

I used the online form provided on their website to query. But I'd say, since the guidelines say to address the query as "Dear Robert", I would honor that.

I think she reads all the queries, and I know Robert is trying to help her build her client list and knows what she is looking for. I'm sure he'll pass it along to her if he reads it first and thinks she may like it. No worries :).

Tip: She really likes the beginning of the book to start with an immediate, decisive action pertaining to the main plot.

jennifer williams

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice! I just sent my query in. Hopefully the wait won't be too long. :) Good luck to everyone else with their partials!

Stikan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stinakanaris.com
Good luck guys! It took them about week to request my partial and only two days to get back to me on it. You guys should be getting a response pretty soon :)

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. Mr. Astle's assistant did give some very personalized feedback in her rejection, which is always nice. Frustrating when it doesn't correspond to what other agents have said, but nice nonetheless.

Got a rejection from her today. Took her 11 days from partial to rejection. Frustrating as well because I changed the opening specifically because some agents and readers complained they didn't feel connected enough with my MC and it started a bit too quickly. So after getting feedback to maybe start a little bit earlier to get more of a feel for the character (but still with some interesting action etc), I get:

We would suggest that you start your story later so that there is more immediate action to draw the reader in; we also suggest that you decide what the central concept of your story will be and focus on that as soon as possible to stop your readers from being confused.

Man I just don't get what I should do at this point :\

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Roly. Check your reps. If you like your new opening, if you think it's better, don't sweat it. It's one, subjective opinion. :)

WaterLilly

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... sent her a partial on the 8th but haven't heard back. I wonder what that means...

Maybe she's just reading them out of order.

Stikan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stinakanaris.com
I agree with Twizzle, Rory. If you like it, don't sweat it.

She pretty much had the same thing to say about mine about the opening and the whole immediate action thing. I actually went to Barnes and Noble just to study some openings in YA books to see what others had done and a lot of them didn't start with the immediate action she is looking for. Remember, tastes are different :).

Waterlilly, Rayna isn't a paid worker at Astle, Robert kept her on until she can find somewhere else to go as a full time gig. She reads as many partials as she can in the morning before going to her day job, then comes back at night and does a few more. Maybe her day job has just been crazy lately?

WaterLilly

Registered
Reaction score
No, I know her job(s) have been crazy. I was just wondering if she was reading them out of order because Roly has heard back from a partial sent on the 11th and I'm always paranoid my emails get lost in cyberspace. ;)

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
Did Rayna fall off the face of the planet? Anyone?

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Any current info? I sent my q in on 4/30 and no response. Should I put this as closed or send a nudge?

Reikigirl

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Astle & Associates

Hello...I recently got a partial request for the first 50 pages of my manuscript from this agent. I had read on another thread that he generally gets back to people within a week on their partials, however, it's been three weeks now and still no word. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this agency and, if so, whether his response time has changed. I appreciate any feedback you folks can offer me on this. Thanks so much.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I just got a partial (first 3 chapters) request from Robert. Not much action here, so I thought I'd post. We'll see how it goes.

ladyjerusalem

Mastering the art of telepathy.
Registered
Reaction score
Was going to query this agency until I read this sentence on the HOME PAGE:

"We also believe it takes an agency that will provide detailed editorial notes and sound career advice to develop and support a writers' career in the sometimes-bewildering world of literary and commercial publishing."

Wow.

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
QT has these authors listed as ones he represents or has represented in the past: Don Donaldson, Nelson Erlick, Leonce Gaiter, Deirdre O'Connell, Jean Davies Okimoto, Lewis Perdue, Allen Wyler

Hope this helps someone. BTW, I didn't check out their Amazon listings, websites, etc., for accuracy. I'm just saying what the QT page says!

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query Sent

Sent a query for my historical fiction today via the submission form on the website. Will post back when I hear a response.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I have been unable to contact Robert at [email protected] and I have been unable to find submission info on his web sight. Anyone have a suggestion?

Comments on Querytracker indicate he was autoresponding at the beginning of the year to say his agency was closed.
"The Agency will close for good- Jan 1st 2013. Please visit www.astorandblue.com and check out our terrific list of authors."

That link is to a digital first publisher. Perhaps he changed businesses?

Last edited: