• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Inkwell Management

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi lisa17!

I EQ'd him on 1/18-no reply as of yet...

Last edited:

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Response to a Query/Drayton

Does Ms. Drayton always ... eventually ... respond?

She isn't the strong, silent type, is she?

(no response= no interest, go away, you're bothering me, kid)

bershka

Does Ms. Drayton always ... eventually ... respond?

She isn't the strong, silent type, is she?

(no response= no interest, go away, you're bothering me, kid)

She must be really busy. After three months, I received a query rejection from her assistant.

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Three months to reject a query?!

Well, it still is nicer to eventually get some validation that you & your query really do exist ...

Thanks for the info.

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody! Does anybody know if anyone other than Catherine Drayton represents Fantasy, at Inkwell ? I've been reading their bios but it's not very clear (reading her bio, for example, I wouldn't guess she represents fantasy). Thank you.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
According to QueryTracker, none of the agents (including C Drayton) represents Fantasy.

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah, that's strange, right? She represents Becca Fitzpatrick, who writes fantasy.

Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
According to QueryTracker, none of the agents (including C Drayton) represents Fantasy.

Sometimes it's better to go to the statistics pages where you can find the actual responses of an agent to various genres. For Drayton, for instance, her two most queried genres are YA and middle grade, but she also gets queries for fantasy and often requests material:

Genre: queries/positive responses/(% positive)
YA: 434/75 (17%)
MG: 114/16 (14%)
F: 46/7 (15%)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I believe what Fitzpatrick writes falls under the category of "paranormal romance" since it is about fallen angels (correct me if I am wrong).

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Catherine Drayton requested a partial of my YA last year. She ultimately passed but was very nice.

Wait a minute! It says they accept all genres. Hopefully,that includes my baby,horror!

Good luck to everyone querying and with the fulls and partials. Fingers crossed for y'all!

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

Some do. I got my Publishers Marketplace "deals of the day" e-mail today. A debut author, Amy Ewing, sold a series "set in a dark fairytale world where technology and magic intermingle." Charlie Olson got her a three-book "major" deal at auction, and the agency also landed overseas rights and movie rights. Wow.

QueenViv

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Allison Hunter on May 04 and got no answer. Is she a "no answer" = no agent? And if she is, is this the kind of agency where no from one agent is no from all agents?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a no from one is a no from all, Queenviv.

I got a full request from N@t J@cks. Was super excited. Hasn't been long at all, but, as usual, I'm already losing hope....

QueenViv

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a no from one is a no from all, Queenviv.

I got a full request from N@t J@cks. Was super excited. Hasn't been long at all, but, as usual, I'm already losing hope....

Well, I'll give her another couple of weeks before I resend the query then. Maybe it got stuck on her spam filter.

And congrats on the full!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
InkWell Management

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, so pls set me right if I need to go elsewhere with it.

Whilst looking for an agent who handles cross-genre materials, I came across InkWell. Here are their submission guidelines:

http://inkwellmanagement.com/contact/

There are a few things that raise a red flag to me, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this agency, or can comment on my concerns below. Perhaps these are standard sort of things that I've just never seen spelled out like InkWell does it.

First, I found it a bit odd that InkWell had a TOA for a submission. When I read it, I found this nugget:

<p>I further agree that (i) no confidential or fiduciary relationship exists between InkWell Management and me; [snip...] (iii) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may use without obligation to me any material which is not legally protected; (iv) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes; and (v) I shall not be entitled to any compensation because of the proposed use or use of any such similar or identical material that may be or may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients or that may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients that may have come to InkWell Management and/or any of its clients from any other independent source.</p>

Now, part of me understands that InkWell wants to protect itself should it have similar materials. And it does at the stipulation about "legally protected". Would copyright laws protect my work from this contract?

Then there's:
InkWell ... may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical (//w - emphasis mine) to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes

Yikes. I dunno but it seems like I'm giving away my "material". Am I?

TIA

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You might check out this thread about InkWell to read about various members' experiences with them.

I'm not a legal genius, but those terms seem pretty standard. Your work is protected by copyright because you wrote it. My reading of that suggestions that they simply don't want to be sued if they rep a book that's similar to someone's they don't rep.

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to that thread. Doesn't seem like anyone has actually cried, "They took our jobs!" (South Park reference, anyone?) I gotta say, I'm not in favor of that language, and if _that_ is how they greet you at the door... one must wonder what it's like once your inside.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
retlaw, I've merged your new thread in Ask The Agent with the existing one in BR&BC.

As for the clause you've highlighted: why would you object to this? They're attempting to protect themselves and you from misunderstandings later. While I think it's sad that they've decided they have to do this, I don't see any problem with it. You might like to consider why they think it's necessary, by the way.