• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Promotion] BookDaily / ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I just got a professionally written, properly spelled, grammatically correct email invitation to look into doing book/author promotion through BookDaily.com. The email has no tell-tale scam warning signs, and the website looks professional and seems legit.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience -- good, bad, or indifferent -- with BookDaily.com, which claims to have 30,000 readers as active members. I'm trying to determine if I should be considering them in my marketing mix or running quickly in the other direction.

http://www.bookdaily.com/

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
No experience, but I followed the link and saw that I could read the first chapter of best sellers. That's really nice for me (and I may take advantage of it), but I don't see how it helps authors of lesser-known books.

Maybe I'm missing something? It seems I would have to be specifically looking for your book (which means some other marketing tool would have had to have been effective) to find it among so many offerings.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
They do some sort of author packages that promote you. Trying to determine if (presuming they're legit) this is worthwhile or you'd get more bang for the time and effort with a blog tour.

But first issue is if anyone's had any experience with them. :D

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if it means anything, but I saw covers from James Patterson, Dan Brown, and Linda Lael Miller on there. And that was just a quick glance.

MM

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It looks to me like they're scraping sample chapters from all over the web, repackaging them, and trying to sell the package. I'm not sure it's legal. Giving Apple a sample first chapter to help sell their ebooks doesn't mean you're giving everyone the right to use it.

Don't be impressed by the bestseller covers. Anyone can reproduce a book cover as long as they're not selling the image for other purposes.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Yeah, they've got excerpts of my books. I'm not sure where they came from.

The copyright notice at the bottom is interesting:

Excerpted from "Unholy Ghosts" by Stacia Kane. Copyright (C) by Stacia Kane. Excerpted by permission. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher. Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.

I certainly didn't give my permission. I don't know about Del Rey; I suppose it's possible?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Psst, Stacia! Did you happen to follow up on the permission issue?

law900

Registered
Reaction score
I was solicited by BookDaily also. I went to their web site and my antivirus software displayed a warning stating the site was associated with fraud and/or malicious malware.

Sites like Goodreads and Smashwords do not cause the same warnings by my antivirus. For now I'm giving the BookDaily site a pass until it is proven that it is not fraudulent and or carrying malware.

Lawrence BoarerPitchford, author
In the World of Hyboria
The Lantern of Dern Blackhammer
Thadius
Sawbones
Tales of Mad Cows and Brothels
www.boarerpitchford.com
Works available at www.Amazon.com and www.Smashwords.com

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
Don't even try this site

Well, folks, I spent two days trying to type in & otherwise upload my books information to Books Daily. The site upload functions are iffy to say the least. But the one that PO's me the most is the chapter excerpt upload function. Promotive function that doesn't play well with google chrome. So, after all that work, I find the "promote" link. Jesus H Christ, they want $49 per month per book to promote it! I don't know about the rest of you "wannabe authors" like myself, but that adds up in a real hurry! I'm retired with a substantial mortgage & 4 out of 6 children still at home struggling to make their own way. No way in hell do my books make enough on Kindle to make this site worthwhile! So take my advice & don't even bother with Book daily! The infamous link; http://http://www.bookdaily.com/?logout
Take a look if you dare, but don't be taken in! I for one don't think it's worth the financial risk!

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
Union, you and I share some common ground. Thanks for doing the legwork on this.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'll merge this with our existing BookDaily thread. Hang on...

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the merge, didn't notice the other thread last night. But 49 bucks per book per month is just too much money. Not to mention taking your chapter excerpts somehow & using them without permission tells me that site is potentially bad...for us.