New girl with a question

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
I have written a book and want it published. Like many other people who have gone to PA I received a response immediately, but already I've learned disturbing things about their processes. Should I just look elsewhere?
Please give your honest opinion on this. I'm torn because I want my book published, but I worked very hard on it and don't want to be duped by PA.
KV
:Shrug:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hi Kerri, and welcome to the board.

The answer to your question of "Should I look elsewhere" depends on what you want out of publishing.

___ Two printed, bound copies of your book
___ $1

If you ticked these, PA should provide what you want.

___ Professional editing for your book
___ Actual cover design, rather than a stock image
___ An advance greater than $1
___ The book sent out to reputable reviewers
___ The book distributed to stores nationwide
___ A publication credit recognized by the industry
___ A career in writing

If you ticked any of these, it might be better to try commercial publishing or a reputable small press.

Last edited:

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

I guess that cleared it up for me alright.
Apparently I was right in what I thought when I found out they wanted my book.
IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!:cry:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Just remember, a real publisher will take some time to go over the manuscript before offering acceptance, will pay you more than a dollar for your rights of first publication, and will not pull up twenty pages of links when you enter its name and the word "scam" into Google.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I guess that cleared it up for me alright.
Apparently I was right in what I thought when I found out they wanted my book.
IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!:cry:

Don't say that, Kerri! There are many, many solid commerical publishing houses out there that are actively looking for good manuscripts. You'll make it! :Sun:

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Kerri, but it's better that it happened now then later. Imagine the heartbreak of other authors when they go to B&N to schedule a book signing and they're told they don't carry their book because it's POD, too expensive and can't be returned.

But you're in luck. Type up a query and pop it into SYW, get valuable feedback, and then send it out to agents. You're in good hands here.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Welcome, Kerri. You're smart to have done your research on PA. Their promises are definitely too good to be true. But new writers see their work legitimately published every day (heck, I did this month!). AW can help you on your path.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Not necessarily. The "too good to be true" part, I mean.

I assume you've investigated non-subsidy, non-scam publishers and you're getting ready to submit to them? When one of them wants your book, it's, ahem, quite a feeling.

Opt not for quick easy fixes. This isn't an easy endeavor to get into. If it were, everybody would sell for "nice deals" and big advances.

If you believe in your work, go the distance. Query legit publishing houses, and if you get some "no-thanks" responses, set yourself to learning more about your craft. Join a crit group. Participate in a local writers' chapter in your chosen genre. Take yourself to the next level and try again.

PA is less than your last choice. It should be a non-starter for every writer.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest problem is $$$$$$...I have none. So I can't really go the self-publishing route which makes all this harder. I did just get a new book (the 2009 edition on writing) for my birthday, maybe I'll just stick to sending query letters for now.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Kerri.

You'll find plenty of resources (and warm, generous folks) here on the site to help you out.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hi Kerri!
You've accomplished a lot. One--you completed a manuscript, two--you researched PublishAmerica, three--you seem ready to listen to advice on these boards, four--you know you've worked hard.

So. Please don't rush. Make sure your query and ms. are polished. Stick around, ask questions. Read the posts. You'll see your book published. It may take awhile. In this business, you have to have patience. :)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
My biggest problem is $$$$$$...I have none.

I don't have any money either. That's one reason I decided to get an agent who could submit my manuscript to the major commercial publishers.

So I can't really go the self-publishing route which makes all this harder.

I think it's going to take more than money to succeed in self-publishing. That's a whole nother ball game, and if you're not trying to exploit some niche in non-fiction, you're probably better off trying to get an agent or publisher interested.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest problem is $$$$$$...I have none. So I can't really go the self-publishing route which makes all this harder. I did just get a new book (the 2009 edition on writing) for my birthday, maybe I'll just stick to sending query letters for now.

Why do you want to self-publish?

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard and read that agents are not a good way to go for first time authors. Is this really true?
Forgive me if I seem naive or ignorant, but I'm new to all of this and am only looking for advice.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard and read that agents are not a good way to go for first time authors. Is this really true?
Forgive me if I seem naive or ignorant, but I'm new to all of this and am only looking for advice.

You heard wrong. Did you hear this by PA by any chance? Probably.

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
kerrivitale

Welcome to AW, this place will help you a lot.

Post your query, and possibly post 1000 words of chapter one for critic on Share Your Work.

You will get good comments and help with your query. A good query will get you an agent who can market your novel. Notice I said GOOD query. Post it and find out if it is good.

Smiles
Bob

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
I know a few people who have published books through agents and made less money than the agents did. Probably just got stuck with a horrible agent and not a good one from what I can tell but you never know.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Agents generally take 15%. If the book fails to sell, neither the agent nor author is going to get paid. Stay away from agents who try to charge you fees.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I second that. If the author is making less than the agent on a deal then that's a red flag.

I'd say it's fishy, but y'know, I've got this cat with glowing eyes here, and she'll eat the fish. ;-)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com

There are scam or amateur agents just as there are scam or amateur publishers. Legitimate agents, on the other hand, provide critical feedback, get manuscripts read by editors in a much more timely fashion than writers can do on their own, negotiate contracts, sell rights, and do much more for their clients.

Not a problem. No one's born knowing everything about the industry.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

I gotta go...my husband's getting irritated with me for being here so long.:D

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure we'll talk again.
KV

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Ick. You don't want to self-publish. It's time and money consuming. And you're not the best person to edit your work. Nothing personal, no one is the best person to edit their own work. It's a fact of life.

There are plenty of resources on the net, including right here at AW, where you can find the skinny on everything from agents to query letters. And a critique partner if you need one.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
One More Thing

Before I forget
On booksie.com I have submitted the first chapter of my book. It's titled Anniversaries.
If you're interested, check it out. It's about a woman who kidnaps, tortures, and kills two women every year...
there's more to it than that, but I can't give away all the goods