Does blogging about your writing help your writing?

metamemoir

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thegreatamericanmemoir.com
I'm writing this memoir and i'm having trouble with it. i was thinking of blogging just about the writing process in order to help work out the kinks. what do you think?

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
That's basically what my blog is...my spot to post stuff I've found researching or something new I've realized about my writing process or something or other about writing my story (not the story itself). It's interesting to read past posts and see how an idea developed. Plus, I always find that blogging a problem I have with writing makes me see things differently and I can work it out. And who knows, by blogging about it, you might help another writer who comes across your post.

JadeVarden

Registered
Reaction score
I say go for it. Maybe it will help you with your process. If not, you can always blog about something else.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing this memoir and i'm having trouble with it. i was thinking of blogging just about the writing process in order to help work out the kinks. what do you think?

Just had a look at your wordpress. I so want to read metamemoir now... It's like memoir, but with added meta! I mean - how amazing is that?? You are so the total definition of impending media darling - you really are: and you're totes going to deserve that seven figure advance. And the film percentages - and the merchandising.

Colour me fangirl.

*sighs and swoons*

ETA: I'm not sure if you really need to write it, now. You've invented it.

:D

Last edited:

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
As a teacher I am, of course, a reflective practitioner. What's that? Well, it's a new fangled thing that teachers now have to do which basically means you do a lesson and then you write an evaluation of that lesson and discuss where it went right and where it went wrong. Then you follow up by stating how you will improve your lesson next time. it is supposed to be a career long thing but I've not seen it much in many more experienced teachers so I guess they just lose the habit or get too busy to bother... :)

Why is this relevant to blogging? Well, you can see your blog as your reflective journal. Writing can benefit from reflective practise too. You can discuss what went right and what went wrong and endeavour to correct it in later projects. It's a way of organising thoughts and giving you a clearer idea of what direction you want to go in.

I do some of that in my blog, though it is not the only thing I use it for. I have, for example, talked about the word count motivation method I used a couple of years back to get me writing more regularly and my thoughts on my involvement in NaNoWriMo. I might not make it everything a blog is about, however, as that can be a little monotonous for some to read. Though that may depend on how personal some of the things you talk about are - if they have universal appeal (i.e. methods that others may want to try) then you may be on stronger ground.

Samball49

Registered
Reaction score
I created my blog/website for the purpose of helping my writing and I think that it has improved dramatically!

Deleted member 42

A fair number of writers use blogging as a free-writing or "warm up" exercise before turning to their book. But if you're going to do that, I suggest creating some structure/time limits for each post/the blog.

Sometimes it's useful to blog around the edges of the thing you're writing about, too.

For me, when I first started blogging I was writing in two other very constrained ways; one was my dissertation, one was my job as a technologist. Blogging helped me transition between two very different sets of rhetorical strategies, purposes, styles, and audiences.

Trevor Z

Learning About New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorzawalich.com
I find it can help me work through odd bits.

It's a bit more of a free form style of writing, where I can just chat about things to the universe. Sometimes the universe replies, most of the time it doesn't, but I tend to reach some sort of conclusion either way.

Also, it's kind of fun to watch spikes in traffic on the days you update new posts. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside to know there are a few strange souls out there who want to listen to me babble.

Cappy1

Scared and loving it...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mark-capell.com
Different things help different people. Doing something entirely different helps me filter ideas. It's as if by not thinking about it, my mind works better.

Susan Anwin

deep blue electric angel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
susananwin.net
no, actually I hate blogging, I just opened it because everyone was going on about how you should have a blog if you are a writer. Peer pressure I guess

JimHeskett

Writers gon write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jimheskett.com
blogging is a great way to keep the pen sharp and build a platform. don't expect it to turn into literal book sales, though.

Petros

Registered
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I haven't started a blog for my writing yet, but one thought struck me as I read this thread.

When you blog about the writing process as you write your book, it can reduce the distance between reader and writer. That's a good thing, of course, but if you're creating a story which has surprises and plot twists, wouldn't revealing big plot points detract from the impact of the story when it's released as a book?

pyrosama

Pyrosama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
matrix-hole.blogspot.com
If you maintain a blog, you have a good chance of attracting readers who would follow your writing. It's the best way to build a platform while you're writing your book.

Every so often, a novelist should bring up the fact they are writing a novel and they may even include some snippets from their novel. Though, I wouldn't suggest a chapter by chapter sharing of your work in a blog.

MissyLaRae

Total Newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Blogging for a memoir

I have like 4 blogs. One everyone sees. One some people see, and two are personal that I just write on when I want to curse and scream and totally act like a juvenile.

I think blogging can help your creative process, but you really need to be careful what you put on a public platform such as blogging, especially if you're going to try and publish traditionally.

If you put the whole story out there, what's the point of an agent picking it up?

Robert Gonko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
robertgonko.wordpress.com
Putting progress reports on my blog has helped me keep writing. When I post about how I'm doing on a particular project, I feel like I have really committed to doing it and and thus push harder to get it done.