Dog Litter

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of this...Purina has a housetraining litter solution for dogs under 35lbs called secondnature®. http://doglitter.com

I never thought dogs would use litter, but they seem to have success stories (they have a contest for the best success stories).

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I'd heard of it only recently, oarsman, but I have no success story. By the time they came out with this, my baby was seven years old and used to going outside. ;)

Sounds like a great product for new puppies, though. Hope someone else has a success story they can send in.

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to do an article about this stuff sometime. I've heard around about it, and I'm intrigued. I wonder about the success rate of litter-training a dog. Cats instinctively know what to do when they are in an area of soft sand, etc. Dogs on the other hand are all about, "Oh boy!" *dig dig dig*

It'd probably make a huge mess.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I hope that doesn't mean Purina thinks dogs and cats require the same exercise.

Dogs aren't meant to be cooped up inside an apartment or house all day. Taking them for a daily walk is vital to their health and happiness, whether it's a Chihuahua or Great Dane.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
For goodness sake, if you have the type of dog that seems reasonable to litter train....maybe you should stick to cats.
So, what size litterbox do I buy my Saint Bernard? Anyone else have the visual?

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Right. I have a Great Pyranees. Somehow I don't think his litter box would add to the decor of my home.

Strangely enough - dog poop sometimes smells better than cat poop. Since cats eat only meat - it tends to reek.

The best case scenario, in my opinion, is to have all the animals do their business outside.

That is what allows me to have 12 cats and two dogs. I have one litter box inside the house, because 3 cats sometimes come in. (Through the attic window that has a fan in it .........then they drop down the AC ductwork into the pantry.)

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I ran across some plans to build the ultimate dog "litter" box. This guy took a shower unit and cut it down to size. It doesn't use litter since it has it's own plumbing. I can't imagine explaining this fixture if you were selling your house! :D

Here's the dog using the "box":

boxuse

boxuse.gif

Last edited:

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Both hilarious and disturbing.
I pity the dogs that have to use a litter box. It seems so undignified.
:)

sdarb

You want me to write what?
Registered
Reaction score
No kidding, cree. It's just not, well, doggie. They like to sniff and poke around before, well, you know!

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I would have to put some plants around the box to at least give the dog a sense of being outside.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How odd. I was watching a show on HGTV about new products for pet owners - and one was a doggie port-a-pot for taking along (God knows where). It was a little box of dirt with a patch of real grass growing on top.

Now, at first I thought "Okay, for those RVers" but then it dawned on me, my Mother being an RVer with a dog, that the great outdoors IS the port-a-pot.

I can't figure what they'd need this thing for, unless they're thinking they don't want to get up and take puppy outside, where dogs are supposed to go.

It's exactly that let dog in, let dog out, walk dog twice daily, that keeps me a cat person :)

cree

Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Now, at first I thought "Okay, for those RVers" but then it dawned on me, my Mother being an RVer with a dog, that the great outdoors IS the port-a-pot.

Unless they are those RVers who set up in the Wal-Mart parking lot and call it a vacation. In which case, the dog has bigger problems than where to go to the bathroom...
I think such a contraption must be for the disabled.... or for the lazy people who buy a furnace-filter-looking thing and name it Tinkerbell.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
It may come in handy for one of my goats, because he pees in the cat litter tray. Self taught as well.

Just thought I'd mention it...