What Subgenre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoAnn B.

Registered
Reaction score
Historical. I like the variety that different times and places offer.

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
Regency historical. Just love the time period.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Historical romance...Victorian Britain.

Also considering contemporary...at some unknown point in the future. Maybe.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I kind of want to write everything. I have about 10 books trying to write themselves making it hard to focus on the one at hand. I dream of writing a time travel novel one day but I have so many other ideas it seems pretty far down the track. One of the books I'm reading right now is the novelisation of the movie "The Butterfly Effect" (the movie had Ashton Kucher in it if you've seen it.) I have a Sci Fi erotic romance in my head that I want to write and a gay BD/SM story that is probably contemp, an erotic sci fi. a ghost menage and various other plot bunnies attacking me. Help!

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I would love to know! Mine has a modern beginning and end, time-travel to ancient Pompeii in the middle, with the time travel instigated by a devil. What is that? Paranormal? Time Travel? Historical? :Shrug:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Yes I kind of want to write everything. I have about 10 books trying to write themselves making it hard to focus on the one at hand. I dream of writing a time travel novel one day but I have so many other ideas it seems pretty far down the track. One of the books I'm reading right now is the novelisation of the movie "The Butterfly Effect" (the movie had Ashton Kucher in it if you've seen it.) I have a Sci Fi erotic romance in my head that I want to write and a gay BD/SM story that is probably contemp, an erotic sci fi. a ghost menage and various other plot bunnies attacking me. Help!

Gay, erotic, ghost bunnies? AWESOME! :D

MeganJoWrites

Superpowers: Making babies, writing
Registered
Reaction score
I like to write contemporary and for some reason, my gravitation is toward the New Adult subgenre. I love the college-age time period in our lives, when we are trying to figure everything out. I love how intense relationships are at that age.

I actually started writing the series I'm working on before I knew "New Adult" existed. Glad it does, since that's what I wrote!

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
Mine has a modern beginning and end, time-travel to ancient Pompeii in the middle, with the time travel instigated by a devil. What is that? Paranormal? Time Travel? Historical? :Shrug:

Contemporary - fantasy, I might say. Depends on several factors.

For instance, how much does your devil play into the story? if he's a major part of the entire story line, not just the cause of the time-travel, then maybe paranormal is correct. I wouldn't tout it as paranormal, though, unless the paranormal element encompasses the entire story.

Since you start in the present and go back to it, I would guess that your MCs are contemporary, so I wouldn't consider it a historical.

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
I lean toward romantic-suspense myself, but darn it if a paranormal element doesn't manage to slip itself in there!

My last MS was probably somewhere along the lines of a Jayne Ann Krentz Arcane novel feel. Romance surrounded by a mystery, with a strong paranormal element. Or perhaps spiritual is more correct since it involves Heaven and guardian angels.

My current WIP still has a strong paranormal involvement, (ghosts this time) but less so. It's more mystery and suspense that surrounds the romance, forcing the paranormal to take a back seat. Probably more along the lines of Julie Garwood's contemporary series with her hunky FBI men, although she has no paranormal elements in sight.

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
I just finished a glut of novel-length contemporaries, so I'm taking an erotic paranormal break. I expect they'll be plenty silly.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Loving reading about everyone's subgenres! I write romantic suspense, for the most part :)

Status
Not open for further replies.