What do you have planned?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
A great holiday, Christmas or otherwise? "Great" in scale or just in merriment? Will you have a big party at your place, either on the Eve or on the 25th? A lot of family and friends? Will you have a small and intimate one instead? Will you be alone? I'm really curious about how people will observe the holiday or not. Anybody want to share their plans?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Had my ceremony yesterday. Quiet, private.
So my holiday is over.
Will go visit Mom for a few days.
May or may not barmaid on NYE.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm driving home tomorrow morning and spending some time with my parents and siblings. On Christmas night we're going to my grandparents where I completely intend on getting smammered with my wild uncles. Merry Christmas!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We tend to go small. Our son, his girlfriend, and their rabbit should be here by dinner, after some travel tribulations yesterday. Our daughter lives in town and will be here most afternoons and evenings. We'll all cook together, including Roast Beast on Christmas day, and there will be wine, cheese, grapes, and board games, possibly also some movies. And, I sincerely hope, some down time for us all. None of us is terribly social and we find this sort of thing draining even thought we enjoy it.

The day after Christmas the out-of-towners depart, and New Year's Eve will be pretty quiet, with us at home with champagne and a themed movie if we can identify a good one.

Maryn, not a party person

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm driving home tomorrow morning and spending some time with my parents and siblings. On Christmas night we're going to my grandparents where I completely intend on getting smammered with my wild uncles. Merry Christmas!

Sounds like a ball. Long drive? Got wintery type weather there? Christmas Night, that's Eve or Christmas Day? Smammered? I like that. I'll borrow that and actually, now that I think of it, maybe I'll even give it a try!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Had my ceremony yesterday. Quiet, private.
So my holiday is over.
Will go visit Mom for a few days.
May or may not barmaid on NYE.

Behind the bar of NY Eve? Must be (Might be) fun. What kind of a bar is it? Upscale? Neighborhood? Shot and a beer type?

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a ball. Long drive? Got wintery type weather there? Christmas Night, that's Eve or Christmas Day? Smammered? I like that. I'll borrow that and actually, now that I think of it, maybe I'll even give it a try!

Yep, it's about a five-hour drive south. It's a little snowy where I'm at now, but it rarely snows in Middle TN anymore, at least not anywhere around my hometown.

Smammered is the word I use to describe getting inappropriately drunk around family members during holidays :D It is, after all, the only way I can put up with most of them.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's about a five-hour drive south. It's a little snowy where I'm at now, but it rarely snows in Middle TN anymore, at least not anywhere around my hometown.

Smammered is the word I use to describe getting inappropriately drunk around family members during holidays :D It is, after all, the only way I can put up with most of them.

Ha-ha, I remember those kinds of family things. Sounds like you at least enjoy the company of your wild uncles anyway. Do you like living out of town, or would you rather be back in Tennessee?

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
Ha-ha, I remember those kinds of family things. Sounds like you at least enjoy the company of your wild uncles anyway. Do you like living out of town, or would you rather be back in Tennessee?

I'm actually still in TN, just East TN, about an hour and half past Knoxville. I'm a wanderer, though, so I'm ready to move again. I'm looking to settle in Nashville once I graduate college. It's such a great city.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's nice your so close to home, right? You get back often, stay in touch with old friends?

I went to school in the same city that I grew up in, but holidays were fun 'cause all the people that went to school out of town came home and would show up in the local bars.

A lottalotta fun!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Normally on Christmas day, the family has a big lunch (roast sort of stuff) together, then unwraps presents, then snacks on leftovers for dinner. (Actually, it's not always on the actual day - sis and her boyfriend work jobs that sometimes mean they aren't available on Christmas day.)

This year, they are available, and will be bringing sis's boyfriend's mum (who I've never met before) - but will be arriving around 4pm. Not sure why such a late start (maybe one has to work the morning shift?) but anyway, mum and I will be going to the grandparents' place for a snacky-lunch, and then after we'll all have a big dinner when sis et al arrive.

It's not really a huge deal with us... Just an excuse to get together, share a meal, and exchange gifts. None of us are religious.

So yeah, that's my "big" plan for Christmas.

NYE, I'll probably be asleep by 9pm after having done nothing that night. The day, however, I really should be editing.

ETA: And as I'm sure Kelly could tell you, real NYE is October 31st. ;)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Behind the bar of NY Eve? Must be (Might be) fun. What kind of a bar is it? Upscale? Neighborhood? Shot and a beer type?

Small 'new music' club.
College - alt - punk.
The money's good.

Behind the bar would be way safer.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Normally on Christmas day, the family has a big lunch (roast sort of stuff) together, then unwraps presents, then snacks on leftovers for dinner. (Actually, it's not always on the actual day - sis and her boyfriend work jobs that sometimes mean they aren't available on Christmas day.)

This year, they are available, and will be bringing sis's boyfriend's mum (who I've never met before) - but will be arriving around 4pm. Not sure why such a late start (maybe one has to work the morning shift?) but anyway, mum and I will be going to the grandparents' place for a snacky-lunch, and then after we'll all have a big dinner when sis et al arrive.

It's not really a huge deal with us... Just an excuse to get together, share a meal, and exchange gifts. None of us are religious.

So yeah, that's my "big" plan for Christmas.

NYE, I'll probably be asleep by 9pm after having done nothing that night. The day, however, I really should be editing.

ETA: And as I'm sure Kelly could tell you, real NYE is October 31st. ;)

Sounds nice though.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
We'll have a party here for Christmas Eve, then church. Then to my mom and dad's for Christmas. It'll be loud and noisy and festive. I love that kind of thing. But tomorrow in church I have to play Mary. Eep. I'll be glad when that's over!

What about you, Bebop? What are your plans?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
We'll have a party here for Christmas Eve, then church. Then to my mom and dad's for Christmas. It'll be loud and noisy and festive. I love that kind of thing. But tomorrow in church I have to play Mary. Eep. I'll be glad when that's over!

What about you, Bebop? What are your plans?

I love that kind of thing, too. Had a lot of Christmases like that. When I was growing up, our house was Christmas Eve Central, both sides of the family showed up, every one drank too much, ate too much, good for a lot of laughs and at least one blow up. Past couple of Christmases have been quiet and small, and this year will be the same. Something to it as well, but I prefer the other. Mary, huh? Oh Madone!

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Family get together and meal on Christmas Day.
Family get together and meal on New Year's Day.

Basic but very nice. Family is best part of the holidays for me.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

No question. Is that extended family? A big one?

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Tomorrow we're having a big get together at my sister's house, immediate family and cousins, many dogs under foot. My brother-in-law's (I should just say brother) father is coming from Texas (we're in New Hampshire) and they don't really get along, so that should be interesting. One of my cousins and her family are coming from California. I see her about once every two years, so it will be nice to catch up.
Christmas Eve...not sure. One of my sisters is an RN and I think she may be working and I'm not sure where we're going for Christmas Day. My family is horrible with communication and last minute changes of plans.
Anyway, it should be fun.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ditto.

Two, of my three daughters, live in London, UK and neither of them can be here for Christmas this year so it will be quiet. But both of them are coming home for a vacation early in February. :snoopy: I'm thinking about putting the tree back up and having another Christmas with all the trimmings then. :D

Write_Askew

Registered
Reaction score
I celebrated my personal holiday yesterday, like KellyAssuer did. My family, however, celebrates Christmas. I'll go to midnight mass with my FIL and then we'll have a traditional Christmas breakfast with my MIL.

My mom, who isn't big on planning, has decided to "play it fast and loose" this year. So I have no idea what will happen there. My friends have a bad habit of taking bets on when she'll call to make plans. Thus far, she's outdone herself. No one bet she would wait this long. On the other hand, any chance to see her is nice. I shouldn't complain. Not too long ago she would have skipped it altogether.

Whatever happens, I'll surely be heading out to see Les Miserables sometime on the 25th.

GailD- you should totally do that. They'd love it, I'm sure. My friends and I always have Christmas in August because all of us have so many plans (most of them include travel) during the holidays. It means a lot no matter what day it is.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... though not of the corresponding faith, am going to a small get-together at a pal's.
Looking forward to it and finding out what they've been up to of late.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
Alas, my husband and I have to work on Christmas Day (China just doesn't observe it), but we will be leaving next Saturday for 2 weeks in Thailand! I'm so excited. This is a dream vacation for me that I have been fantasizing about for years and planning for months! Counting down the hours...