Coalition gets trashed in Rotherham

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Well, byelections are funny things, but last night's results in Rotherham make for sober reading.

Sarah Champion (Lab) 9,866 (46.25%, +1.62%)
Jane Collins (UKIP) 4,648 (21.79%, +15.87%)
Marlene Guest (BNP) 1,804 (8.46%, -1.96%)
Yvonne Ridley (Respect) 1,778 (8.34%)
Simon Wilson (Cons) 1,157 (5.42%, -11.32%)
David Wildgoose (Eng Dem) 703 (3.30%)
Simon Copley (Ind) 582 (2.73%, -3.58%)
Michael Beckett (Lib Dems) 451 (2.11%, -13.87%)
Ralph Dyson (TUSC) 261 (1.22%)
Paul Dickson (Ind) 51 (0.24%)
Clint Bristow (ND) 29 (0.14%)

The Tories took a drubbing, even for Rotherham. The xenophobic right had a good evening, with the unpleasant UKIP in second and the despicable BNP in third place. But the Liberal Democrats came 8th, behind even the English Democrats, whoever they are. Extinction beckons, I reckon.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Bye bye, Lib Dems! Don't let electoral oblivion hit you on the arse on the way out.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just goes to show, we may be used to our politicians lying to us. But we certainly don't like it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Just goes to show, we may be used to our politicians lying to us. But we certainly don't like it.
You British are always so proper. Voters on the other side of the pond apparently don't mind all that much. Our liars typically see a 90% + reelection rate.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
To be honest, it's more the getting caught that pisses us off. It feels like rubbing our faces in it. Especially when the 'liar' has previously taken the moral high ground like the Lib Dems did before the Election.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, it's more the getting caught that pisses us off. It feels like rubbing our faces in it. Especially when the 'liar' has previously taken the moral high ground like the Lib Dems did before the Election.

The Lib Dems' combination of leftish sanctimony and letting Thatcherites gut the welfare state is horrible. They back Osborne as he destroys the Health Service and then make a stand against the Tories on...the Leveson Report.

Truly, truly pathetic. Even the English Democrats couldn't be that bad. Whoever they are, as I think I've said before.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yes well..... Any party with 'English' in their name should put 'Little' in front of it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Let's not pretend this means anything on a national scale. The turnout was way down - typical mid-term protest vote. When the next general election comes around it'll be the usual suspects occupying the top slots.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the turnout was very low indeed. The Manchester by-election apparently had a turnout of around 18%, which is one of the lowest turnouts since 1945.

Sadly, I don't think there's any chance the Big Three will be dislodged from their usual posts. Sad times for us lefty voters.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the turnout was very low indeed. The Manchester by-election apparently had a turnout of around 18%, which is one of the lowest turnouts since 1945.

Sadly, I don't think there's any chance the Big Three will be dislodged from their usual posts. Sad times for us lefty voters.

Almost every poll and byelection for the last couple of years has suggested the Lib Dems have lost between a third and a half of their support. I think they have. They think they have as well.