NaNoWriMo 2011

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Don't be so hard on yourself Lilli. That is still a heck of a lot of words for one month. I wouldn't think "professional" writers pop out 50k in 30 days on a regular basis anyway. Every year you keep doing more and more, and you beat your all time high. Heck, that's a lot to be proud of. Shows growth as a writer I think.

I'm really struggling with this myself this year, its only the third time I've done it. My 09 story was great, this one just sucks. :) I tried last year but only got as far as 19k I think.

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Congratulations to all the winners!

Good job to all the attemptees!

Well done to all the people who thought up an idea but never got to execute it.

I am on my way to trying again next year. In the meantime, I am going to work on my daily writing habit to build that bad boy up.

Sort of like practicing for the marathon all year long.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Just crossed the finish line. And there was much rejoicing...

:Trophy:

Melhael

Indie writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
terrydock.net
I finished the story last night at around 55,000 words. Congratulations to all the winners ! Now the question is... what are we gonna do with that pile of crappy first drafts? ;)

Me, I'm gonna wait at least a month before I read it and decide whether it's worth rewriting or if I'd be better off trashing it and writing something else. We'll see. In any case it's done, and it's an achievement. I'm happy and proud.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
I beat last year's personal best of 8500 words in one day to go from 35k to 51k yesterday (about 16k in one day)!
Stoked and kind of looking forward to going back and sorting out the craptastic mess it is; the prose is atrocious and chapter pieces, POVs etc. are all over the place but its sell-able essence is undeniable.
So move on over polished women's literary novel I've been trying to sell for 2 years, and come on down YA horror NaNovel 2011--we've got work to do.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Don't be so hard on yourself Lilli. That is still a heck of a lot of words for one month. I wouldn't think "professional" writers pop out 50k in 30 days on a regular basis anyway. Every year you keep doing more and more, and you beat your all time high. Heck, that's a lot to be proud of. Shows growth as a writer I think.

I'm really struggling with this myself this year, its only the third time I've done it. My 09 story was great, this one just sucks. :) I tried last year but only got as far as 19k I think.

I "failed" five years out of seven, if it's any consolation. It was only this year that I felt organized enough to pull it off without breaking a sweat -- there's been a lot of learning going on.

And Lilli, I still want to read what you've written. Where's my email? :D

As far as professional authors are concerned, at the beginning of our first NaNo, my daughter and I had the pleasure of meeting Tamora Pierce, and she said that she does about 60k in two months, or about 30k a month.

And average of 1000 words per day, in other words, well under NaNo rates.

Some professionals write more, some less in an average month. It depends on what they're writing, how fast they write, how well the particular book is going, and the alignment of the stars, at least as far as I can figure out.

The important thing I've found out though, is whether they write a hundred words a day or a thousand is that they write every day.

So that's my goal: A minimum of 100 words each and every day until my current NaNo and my 2008 NaNo (which I abandoned in December after my first win) are finished. Then I'll take a break from writing, and start revising the heck out of both books.