What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Ask and The Answer. It's much slower than the first one was, though the writing is still blowing me away.

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
I *loved* Divergent. Like, read it 5x in a weekend loved it. I couldn't stop rereading it. Insurgent is pre-ordered on my nook and it's the only thing about May that's going to be awesome.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
The Unidentified by Rae Mariz
An interesting exercise in pointing out how much personal information we give away without thinking, but ultimately the story felt flat and implausible.

The Tempest by Julie Cross

A time-travel plot that had a strong start but quickly became too complicated and tedious to follow.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
ambie_dog:
I just finished reading that book today. I enjoyed it until it got religious, and I wasn't satisfied with the ending.
You're right about the little girl. She got on my nerves.

Yeah, the quasi-religious dictatorship didn't work for me either. Partly it's because I've seen it done in too many YA dystopias recently and partly because the underlying idea of the ruling people in the village (which I won't spoil because it's one of the few things that interested me about the book) was negated by the religious patina. Plus, even though I'm an atheist, I get really bored with the idea of everyone with religious beliefs being domineering and prone to malevolent dictatorship and/or blindly following someone because they talk about God.

And as for the 8 year old girl ... Well it's just not right to be reading a book and cheering the cannibals on in the hope that they'll just whack the snotty little git.

MM

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
And as for the 8 year old girl ... Well it's just not right to be reading a book and cheering the cannibals on in the hope that they'll just whack the snotty little git.

MM

:ROFL:I'm going to have to check this out now -- just how obnoxious can this child be?

The library gods have been kind to me of late. Last week I found the awesome Code Name Verity sitting on the shelf, and today I picked up After the Snow by S. D. Crockett, hot off the presses (more or less). Thought both of these would have long reservation lists! :yessmiley

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
TudorRose:
I'm going to have to check this out now -- just how obnoxious can this child be?

Famous last words ...

rosiecotton:
About to start THE REPLACEMENT by Brenna Yovanoff.

I'll be interested to know what you think. It's an interesting book but very ... difficult.

I'm going to read EVE by Anna Carey next.

MM

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Incarnate by Jodi Meadows. Again. I keep having to put books on hold, but hopefully I can finish one before I get interrupted again.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score

MM

From my own experience with some 8yr olds it was pretty much spot on. And she does get better later in the book. By the time she gets captured/taken away, I was very concerned for her. But maybe that was just me.

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
About to start THE REPLACEMENT by Brenna Yovanoff.

I'll be interested to know what you think. It's an interesting book but very ... difficult.

I made a sizeable chunk in it last night. I picked it up because I'd read THE SPACE BETWEEN and really enjoyed it. This has that same strange, off beat vibe that I kind of dig. Reminds me a little of Dia Reeves--I adored Bleeding Violet and Slice of Cherry.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Selection and now onto The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting. Really excited to read.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
adktd2bks:
From my own experience with some 8yr olds it was pretty much spot on. And she does get better later in the book.

I could understand her being scared and unwilling to listen but it's *every* *single* *time* and at no point do the two adults sit her down and explain why her behaviour is dangerous. Instead they keep reinforcing it by telling her it's okay even though they know the consequences. But it is mainly the fact that every mistake in the book really does start with her.

In conclusion, I think we can all safely say that I should never have children. Or be allowed near children. Ever.

I've started EVE by Anne Carey and I like the idea, which is basically reworking THE HANDMAID'S TALE for teens, but the set-up is so breezy that I'm having problems buying into it. Maybe I'm just too jaded with YA dystopia now, but I'm finding the world-building to be a bit lacking.

MM

Last edited:

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Please Ignore Vera Dietz which I enjoyed.
I was going to start reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes until I realized that I accidentally picked up the sequel, so I suppose I'll just read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer instead.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I FINALLY finished reading @cross the un1v3rs3 by b3th r3v1$. I loved it :) I am kind of glad I waited until the hype died down a little bit, lol, since it came out in either 2009 or 2010 can't remember which. The dual POVs, in my opinion, were easy to separate as characters. Can't wait to pick up the second book.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Started Everneath and it's okay, but it's not giving me that wow feeling I'm looking for. Doubt it will get above 4 stars.

On a brighter note, I bought 2 aussie books: Night Beach by Kirsty Eager and All I ever wanted by Vikki Wakefield. Looking forward to those. :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished EVE by Anne Carey and it really annoyed me. The world building was underdeveloped (the author favouring pace over believable set-up), the female protagonist was a total ninny (and at one point does something so stupid that I almost threw the book across the room) and I found the gender politics dubious (women need men to look after them if they're to survive).

Am reading some grown up urban fantasy for a change and will come back to YA when I feel less jaded.

MM

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Future of Us. I'd read the synopsis a while back and thought it sounded interesting and unique, so I was excited to read it. It did not live up to my expectations at all. In fact, I found it very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.