The Tenth Circle

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Still haven't received mine - they are still waiting for the final name of the LLC we are setting up for it. Aargh.

Happy Camper, I'm curious about why you are doing an LLC for your contract. Would you mind telling me? I've never thought of that, and I'm wondering what the benefits are and if it is common. Thank you.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I hope so, Tri, I'm in an awfully weird space with it all right now. I can't say that I ever really thought about how it would feel to be in this process, but I don't think it feels anything like I would have expected it to feel.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, I get to do my dedication and acknowledgments in the copy edits! *glee!*

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Lisa!

Got my copyedits today. I haven't had the nerve to open them up and look yet. It's all done electronically, so there's no red pencil or anything. I'm afeared.

Good luck Tas!

Happy Camper, I'm curious about why you are doing an LLC for your contract. Would you mind telling me? I've never thought of that, and I'm wondering what the benefits are and if it is common. Thank you.

Hi Phoenix,

This is what my taxation lawyer had to say:

"We recommend forming an LLC because an LLC combines the tax advantages and management flexibility of a partnership with the liability protection of a corporation. Moreover, forming an LLC has become a popular alternative for sole proprietors and partnerships that have thought about forming a corporation in order to protect personal assets. LLCs also avoid “double taxation” because the income of the LLC itself is not taxed at the corporate level."

I hope this helps. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have a Word doc started with people I want to acknowledge so I don't forget them when I get to that point. Gotta love electronic post-it notes. :)

Got my contract questions answered to my satisfaction. Am printing and mailing them today. :hooray:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's on PM today!

Alice Loweecey's FORCE OF HABIT, introducing a nun turned fledgling private investigator who must uncover the identity of an increasingly dangerous stalker and learn how to properly apply lipstick, to Terri Bischoff at Midnight Ink, in a three-book deal, for publication in Spring 2011, by Kent Wolf at Global Literary Management (world).

:banana::PartySmil:e2woo::e2bouncey:e2cloud9::e2bear::fistpump

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Huh. Weird email attachment thing. When I opened the first contract in preview, it said "36 pages" But when I printed it out just now, it said "20 pages". I forgot the email preview enlarges things. a 20-page contract does sound a little more normal. :)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Another Snoopy dance for Lily :snoopy:

On another note, I'm just realized I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with my ARCs when I get them. I don't know how many there will be, and I also don't know how to dole them out. I've had about 5 book review bloggers request one, and my first thought was a first come, first serve basis, but I don't know if that's what I should follow. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to make a list of everyone to thank for the acknowledgments. I shoulda kept a list sooner like you, Lily.

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Good luck Tas!

Hi Phoenix,

This is what my taxation lawyer had to say:

"We recommend forming an LLC because an LLC combines the tax advantages and management flexibility of a partnership with the liability protection of a corporation. Moreover, forming an LLC has become a popular alternative for sole proprietors and partnerships that have thought about forming a corporation in order to protect personal assets. LLCs also avoid “double taxation” because the income of the LLC itself is not taxed at the corporate level."

I hope this helps. :)

Thank you.