Free Word-Processors that are compatable with Word?

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
My trial on MS Office has run out and, as of now I can't afford to pay the ridiculous, extortion price that Microsoft Charge.

I just want it for Word too and I hate the thought of being ripped off and paying for a product where 90% of it I won't use :rant:

So, is there any free-word processors that are compatable with MS Word. Where I can open my saved word documents & save them and, anyone I send the documents too can open them on their version of MS Office?

I've found one, IBM Lotus Symphony which is apparently compatable.

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home

Is this one okay and is it truly Word compatable?

I don't wanna sound tight-fisted but I honestly can't afford to pay for Microsoft Office at the prices they charge, especially when 90% of the features I'd never use (excel, office, spreadsheet etc)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for Open Office. There are a few annoying features (especially if you're used to Word) but I use it and recommend it to anyone who asks.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score

I read about Open Office, I heard that you could open and edit MS Word documents with it but couldn't save them afterwards, guess the forum I read that on was wrong.

I guess you can save them okay then?

Since that's the main thing :) Also, will publishers be able to open the documents okay in Word if I send it to them in Open Office format?

Thanks again :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I read about Open Office, I heard that you could open and edit MS Word documents with it but couldn't save them afterwards, guess the forum I read that on was wrong.

Since that's the main thing :) Also, will publishers be able to open the documents okay in Word if I send it to them in Open Office format?

Thanks again :)

Word opens .odt files just fine. In fact, Word 2007 allows you to save Word files as .odt.

The only things I don't like about OO is I find the Track Changes and Commenting functions distracting (mostly cuz I'm used to Word) and in large files with lots of tracked changes (such as a book ms) it autosaves about every 90 seconds (it feels like, anyway) and is...really...slow.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
I've downloaed it so I'll see how it goes!

Thanks, y'all :)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

You can save in Word's .doc format with Open Office, and that would be advisable, imho. A publisher/agent might be able to open an .odt file, but may not know they can.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Downloaded and it seems just as good as MS Word!

Thanks alot guys, you've saved me some cash here :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've found one, IBM Lotus Symphony which is apparently compatable.

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home

Is this one okay and is it truly Word compatable?

I don't wanna sound tight-fisted but I honestly can't afford to pay for Microsoft Office at the prices they charge, especially when 90% of the features I'd never use (excel, office, spreadsheet etc)

Lotus Symphony is actually just a brushed-up version of OpenOffice, so either should work just as well. OpenOffice is great for a Word/Office replacement, especially if you don't need any of the specialized features. There's no reason to own MS Office if all you do is write in Word.

If you're on a Mac, Bean is also quite good. And it's just a word processor, so it's very elegant and streamlined without any bloat.

Ragnarok

Loki made me do it
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using OpenOffice for a couple of years and still have serious compatibility issues with MS Word documents in 3.2.1. Tends to happen with tables and text format. Whenever I work on a doc for too long (as in making numerous format changes in various parts of the documents) and then open it in Word, I get random alterations that slaughter the intended presentation, for ex: sections can become bold, change font size, color, type. I really hope it'll be fixed at some point.

Meanwhile, if you have an important document to send in .doc, make sure it looks OK by opening it with wordpad.