Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some more of my favorite movies. i don't think they're from the 50's but I think they're great watching.
Spirit of St. Louis
How the West was Won
Magnificent Seven
Mr.Smith Goes To Washington
Man who shot Liberty Valance
Tora Tora Tora
Mrs. Miniver
Wind and the Lion

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am in hospital for some time now. I am feeling out of sorts!

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh- Maryn, that is funny. I usually get a mumble and a click, if anything.

One guy kept calling and asking for Thomas in spanish. I kept saying "No habla espanol." I asked a student where I work how to say "you have the wrong number" and it was something - I kid you not- like tienes el numero falso. So I say it to this guy and he starts speaking to me in rapido espanol. "NO- no habla espanol!" I finally had my husband answer and the guy quit calling.

Last edited:

peydob

Banned
Reaction score

I don't think the one being cheated on feels the same way. There are so many women in the world...who are single.

She must have awesome calf muscles for her age. Stairs are a great workout. Hard on the knees sometimes, but I'm always amazed at how much I'm puffing away when I take the stairs at work. (Of course, I'm horribly out of shape and all stairs wear me out.)

Heh. That's hilarious. A cat with a connector fetish.

This requires a thoughtful answer. I'll get back to you.

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Henry? Of course it isn't Henry--unless he has some transgender secret he's ready to share with the world. So, do you, Henry, or have I got the wrong number?"

I shouldn't laugh too hard at this cause I'm hurt.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But what a great wrong number.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Henry? Of course it isn't Henry--unless he has some transgender secret he's ready to share with the world. So, do you, Henry, or have I got the wrong number?"

:ROFL: That was pretty funny. I have a prepaid cellphone, and the problem is, I found out recently old cell numbers get recycled with new phones. I can't tell you now many times I got calls on my "new" phone after I bought it from folks I didn't know, along with texts too. I kept getting voicemails from complete strangers looking for the same guy. Luckily, they died down after awhile but they used up my limited minutes since it's a prepaid phone. That was annoying for a bit (but some of the voicemails and texts were kind of funny).

This requires a thoughtful answer. I'll get back to you.

Why are you in the hospital? Were the cops too rough on you after they caught you stealing hamburgers again? ;)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya-hiya-hiya. I'm busy getting ready for Kid Two, and may be scarce for a few days. Fear not, I am in the bosom of my family.

Peydob, heal faster!

Maryn, giving orders

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Komnena!

My name is Maryn, and I'm addicted to stuff.

Maryn, always truthful

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well ok here's the spiel. So in april I went to a new doctor that my physical therapist suggested when he said I needed someone to look at the whole picture, not just my knee or my hip or my pinched nerve. He then said it would help if I lost weight and I said - well it isn't for lack of trying, and he said, oh this doctor can help you. So I waited a month for a new patient appointment, and they did all these lab tests and I went back for my follow up on wednesday and now on saturday I feel like a chump who bought snake oil. The nurse goes over the results with me and tells me I need this supplement and that supplement. They tell me I have sensitivites to wheat, dairy and eggs, and that I have a high level of yeast in my system and I need to go on a special diet with only certain meats, veggies, legumse and nuts. I did suspect that so I am willing to try the diet, but they said no coffee and I said eh eh, and they said well one cup in the morning, but after day 1 I had a massive headache by 11am. I don’t mind cutting back, but 1 is not cutting it. I asked why no coffee or tea and they said it is acidic and can promote yeast growth. But tomato is on the list and isn’t it acidic? and my favorite foods are pancakes and bread and more bread and waffles and pancakes and toast and pancakes. I was upset to say the least. I called my husband crying. I ended up going to see him at work before I went on to my job. One of the things I did after my first visit was take my temperature 3 times a day for 5 days. My average is around 97.9, which I don't find alarming. But they say I have Wilson's Temperatue Syndrome, which they want me to take thyroid hormone for. Even though my lab results for my thyroid are normal. Well my husband, who works at a medical lab (where they did my tests incidently) was suspcious and looked up Wilson's immediately and it looks like it isn't real. Wednesday was a rough day. He urged me to get a second opinon, so when I got to work I read an article he'd sent by the Amrican Thyroid Association and man was I convinced. I called my regular doctor and left a message and decided to call my gyno too and her office called back first and recommended I see an internist and gave me a name so I called and made an appointment,which of course isn't until June 8, but hey. Then my regular doctor's office called, and the doctor said flat out, "Wilson's isn't real don't take that medicine. Keep your appointment with the internist." Alright. Will do. But the problem is now that casts doubt on all of her diagnosis you know? I am sticking with the diet for now, I figure it won’t hurt and it is only for a month, and I might lose weight. But I asked a pharmacist about some other medicines they prescribed and she was surpirsed, she said those drugs aren’t the usual treatments for what the doc gave them to me for. I am very frustrated. And I called them on Thurs at 8am and they didn’t return my call until after 5 and I called with another question on Friday at 8 and they didn’t return my call which makes me even less happy and feeling like all they wanted was my $. I told the nurse on Thursday that I wasn’t going to do the treatment for Wilson’s until I got a second opinion and she actually got testy with me. Not helping your cause here Ms. Nurse. And to top it off, I am finding that bread really rounds out a meal, you know? All I can eat for bfast are nuts and coconut and tomato juice and eggs (which apparently I am sensitive to and need to limit to once or twice a week.) I don’t like plain yogurt (or any yogurt) so that’s out. Bah. I feel full on almonds but I don’t feel satisfied.

Oh and have you noticed in all of this I wanted her to look at my hip, knee , pinched nerve? Yeah, she’s done exactly zip about that. I am to the point I think I may just cancel my 2 week follow up.

In other news, I have been seeing a chiropractor who uses the activator method and he is helping my knee, hip, pinched nerve. Yay.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Sass, oh my! This Wilson's Syndrome practitioner, an M.D.? Of course, that's no guarantee against quackery. (If it walks like a duck, and talks....) I doubt if any health care professional in the state of Washington would try to cut coffee completely out of anyone's diet. Glad some chiro seems to be working.
On another topic, does anyone know of an AW thread where readers post the most over-the-top metaphors and similes they come across in published fiction? I just read this yesterday:
"Her mannequin husband greeted her father with a smile that would have been perfect for serving soup at a Salvation Army homeless shelter." From Border Songs by Jim Lynch.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trevor, that is indeed a great line. Have you searched for such a thread by scrolling any AW page as far down as it'll go, so the Google Custom Search box shows? It's substantially better than the search provided by AW's basic software package, which is much easier to find, surprise-surprise.

Sassy, that sounds totally bogus. I would not do one thing they suggested. Nothing, including the diet modification to their standards, although if you're able to follow it and it seems reasonably healthy overall, it can't hurt and could kick-start a weight loss.

But they sound very eager to take advantage of people who are in pain or unwell and separate them from their money with a lot of pseudoscience quackery.

I'm a liver patient, and the chicanery of liver cleansing potions, coffee enemas, and liver massage is equally ridiculous. The only liver treatment with any chance of reversing my condition (and it's not a sure thing) is weight loss, and all the magic herbs, disgusting teas, and quack crap will not make any difference to my liver, only to my hope and bank balance.

Maryn, disgusted by those who take such advantage

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I agree. I'm going to cancel my next appointment. I already fired a dermatologist who I went to see for a rash and asked him, since I was there, to freeze some warts and he kept wanting me to come in for him to check that. Um dude, my rash. I don't think the cream you gave me is working. He says, Oh I am going to give you this cream...You already did and I just told you it isn't working. BAH.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of celebrating firing my doctors with pancakes. Ha ha.
So my dad just emailed me and said I should not only not see her but I should report her to the state. He said the fact that she didn't even treat me for what I went in for indicates she has her own agenda.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I like your dad for more than raising you.

It sounds like she has an agenda and maybe even some kind of kickback scheme in play. Ugh.

Kid Two is leaving in a few hours, so I'm getting offline to spend a little time with him. I just heard the shower turn off.

Maryn, already showered, thanks

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I canceled my follow up appointment today. And I rebelled and had pancakes last night.(mmmmmmmmmmmm) I pretty much stuck to the diet today though I had one bite of potato.

At least I'll lose weight, probably. Eh?

I hope you are enjoying your time with kid two.

Sass- who also showered today.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
On the road, laptops in motels. Driving east across almost half the USA, then bus and air the rest of the way to Philly where kid #3 is planning her October wedding. Five months out is a good time to weigh in as FotB (Father of, for those who hate initial speak as much as I do).
Stopped in the town where she was born, 27 years ago. A town I've lived far from and seen seldom since '94, but O the memories are thick as lilac scent here. Ate in a restaurant, ordered their signature chicken breast in mornay sauce, waiter said "it's been our most popular for 31 years, since this place opened." Me: "Wait a minute! You had been open a while 31 years ago this month, because that was when, in that third booth back there, I proposed and the waiter (cued in advance) brought the ring in a rolls basket under a napkin." Manager: "Oh yes, we opened 32 years ago. How's the Mrs?" "Fine, tho Mrs. Someone Else now, our marriage had 20 years of love in the tank, but we are still friendly."
Trevor, rank sentimentalist with Rocky Mountain high

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trevor, can you share your itinerary? Maybe you're somewhere near me on this journey. Unlikely you'd come this far north, but I can hope, right? Because I'd love to meet you, and everybody else in the House of Love I haven't yet met.

(Sassy and I have met three times now, nah-nah!)

Maryn, with wet hair that's making her cold

Status
Not open for further replies.