Drafts and reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickyb

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong bit or has been asked 16 thousand times before.

But as I trudge through my first draft, I'm having an impending sense of doom about the point at which I'll have to go back and review it.

I'm enjoying the draft process, just taking it 500 words a day, but I wondered how do other people draft? Do you review and rewrite every couple of thousand words or so? Or do you all wait until the end and then start hitting delete?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Personally, I make myself finish the first draft before I double back for revisions.* If I kept letting myself revise before I hit the finish line... well, it becomes another form of procrastination. And I have too many ways to procrastinate to add one more to the pile.

* - If I hit an absolute dead-end in the first draft, and can work out exactly what I need to change to get moving again, I will go back... only to change that one thing. Or I'll just slap a note-to-self in there and plow ahead on my new trajectory, saving changes for revisions.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
First draft? Write it all out without looking back.
My sequential drafts are rewrites, and I don't go through those either.
Then I start revising, and chopping things up.
And then I go through small edits and straighten things up.

For my short stories, I write out a scene and the next day I edit through what I wrote last and continue from there.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I like to finish that first draft before I edit.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to finish first before I edit. But you do whatever works for you.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Do you review and rewrite every couple of thousand words or so? Or do you all wait until the end and then start hitting delete?
I pretty much go all the way through to the end before reviewing and revising. AT times I will make notes about something that I think may need changing. At times I will revise a scene if something in it is really, really bugging me when I'm not writing, but usually I'll just plow on ahead until I'm done. That's worked for me pretty well so far.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I'm a pantser and have trouble getting the details into the story. So I draft a scene, then go back to it and get the bigger details like setting and world building in. The smaller details can come with the revision. I don't do anything else until I get to the end of the story.

Then I make two fast passes over the story. After saving a version of the story, of course.

1. Cut unnecessary scenes out BEFORE I start any revision. Because I'm not using an outline, sometimes ideas come in but then they self-edit. This is just to clean them out so I don't end up wasting time revising them. I dropped 11K off my revision when I did this, and it helped me see the story better.

2. Then I make a run through the book, looking for junk that wandered in. A sentence here, a paragraph there ... It seems to be a product of how I write and can lead to some great creative ideas, but it gets in the way on the revision. It's a very, very fast edit, like cleaning up, and I usually don't get it all.

After that, then it's time to revise.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong bit or has been asked 16 thousand times before.

But as I trudge through my first draft, I'm having an impending sense of doom about the point at which I'll have to go back and review it.

I'm enjoying the draft process, just taking it 500 words a day, but I wondered how do other people draft? Do you review and rewrite every couple of thousand words or so? Or do you all wait until the end and then start hitting delete?

Some people finish first; some people revise as they go. Just depends what works for you. :D I do an extremely haphazard combination of both. Whatever it takes to get myself to move forward...

allmywires

Rock-licker
Registered
Reaction score
I used to rewrite and rewrite every scene, to the point where I always got sick of my WIPs and dumped them. Now I force myself through it, because even if I know the scene is complete crap I know I'll go back and fix it after everything's done. I just have to make sure I finish and don't give up on it.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I like to finish the draft first. Sometimes things I write near the end give me ideas for changes I want to make earlier on too.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I review as I go, it helps me to orient myself each day, and keep the story tighter. I'll make smaller changes and edits when I do this, but for possible larger changes I usually make notes and keep it as is until I begin the second draft.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Obviously there's no right or wrong answer. Personally, I revise as I go, in large part because it gives me great pleasure and impetus to get a scene right. Then, once the draft is done, I go back and revise some more. Take me a long time to finish a first draft, but then the revising stage generally goes quickly.

But whatever works for you is fine.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
I write in 20 minute bursts, 10 minutes between. During that 10 minutes, I do a quick read over what I just did, do some quick fixes, then move on, effectively editing as I go. When I hit the end, I go back immediately full edit round. I avoid rewriting.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I've been caught in the rewrite trap before, so now I write to the end. I'll make notes for planned changes but won't action them until I'm done draft 1.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever works for you. I'm anal and tend to be a "revise-as-you-go" person. Everyone has their own process, though....

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

I rewrite as I go, starting at the sentence level.

Not saying everyone should do it this way; it's what works for me. It's how I discover the story.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I edit/revise as I go - when I finish a paragraph or page, it's ready for the polish unless the betas point out something.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I've kinda been weird about it.

Moreso for me, I've done back & forth sessions of writing & editing, and I'm only on chapter 2...

Other than that, I've done a bit of a Goodkindian thing where I've been just writing a sentance that comes to me exactly how it comes, then erasing it & finding a better way to say it.

nickyb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys - how long did it take you all to write the first draft - sorry I'm sure this has already been discussed, and did you do it full time or on top of the day job?

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
I usually write 90% of a first draft before i start revising. The final ten percent is added in revision, usually.

My fastest draft ever was submitted to the publisher 19 days after i started it, and it was a 22k novella.

I've been working on my space opera "little wing" about 18 months now and am not likely to finish soon. :/

I write and work as a content editor, do not have an outside of my home job, but do have small children, aka the "all the time" job

ElJeffe

Registered
Reaction score
I always read the last thing I wrote before I start a new writing session, and allow myself to edit for style and language and whatnot if I happen to think of a good turn of phrase or just a less-bad way of stating something. I also might make changes to story that occur during those last few hundred words, too, if I recently thought of a better way that scene should go.

Beyond that, though, I don't bother rewriting or revising past work before a draft is done. The first draft of a work is generally exploratory (I don't use outlines), and even if I think of a much better way that X should have gone, it's very possible that I'll think of an even better way it could have gone down the road, so I may as well wait. I do take notes, though, especially on longer works, so that if I have a great idea I don't forget it.

Because of the way I write, though, my first drafts are largely incoherent. I generally change plot arcs in major ways as I go, and write current scenes based on what I've decided should have happened previously, so if you read my first drafts you will keep going, "Wait, who's this person who everyone seems to suddenly know?" or "Wait, isn't this guy dead?" or "Why do people keep referencing an event that never actually happened?"

As to how long it takes me to write a draft? If we're talking novels - I assume we're talking novels, here - then it takes somewhere around 6-8 months. That includes occasional diversions to write a short or two along the way.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com

I'm a revise-as-I-go kind of writer. I generally leave off writing for the day before I've finished a scene. The following day I go back over what I've written and make any revisions before moving on with finishing a known scene and then working on the current day's writing session. I do this every day. At the end of a chapter I revise the entire chapter. I follow the same routine for each chapter. I'm not the kind of person that can just get it all down before doing revisions. I'd go nuts with anxiety.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.