• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Sourcebooks, Inc.

Kirk T

Cap'n Kirk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertdetroit.yolasite.com
Sourcebooks and imprints

I have been checking out Sourcebooks website for a while now, and I am still confused on what type of publishing they offer. I am assuming they are traditional, they do ask for a printed manuscript sample, but I am still not sure. Also, what does imprint mean? Is it one of their in-house publishers? I know Sourcebooks has a B- rating with the BBB, which is certainly better than the F rating that PA so badly earned, but can anybody tell me anything else? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
If we're talking about the same Sourcebooks, http://www.sourcebooks.com/ then it's one of the most well regarded independent commercial publishers out there. I'd be ecstatic to score a contract with them.

As for imprints: Most commercial publishers have imprints. they're just divisions in the company that focus on specific markets. As far as I know soursebooks have their Fire imprint that focuses on YA, and Jabberwocky, which focuses on lower word-count/MG

Again - I certainly wouldn't let some random b- rating on BBB stop me from subbing to them.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
Sourcebooks is a new YA imprint. I review and have received a couple of their books. I've been very impressed with them.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I have been checking out Sourcebooks website for a while now, and I am still confused on what type of publishing they offer. I am assuming they are traditional, they do ask for a printed manuscript sample, but I am still not sure. Also, what does imprint mean? Is it one of their in-house publishers? I know Sourcebooks has a B- rating with the BBB, which is certainly better than the F rating that PA so badly earned, but can anybody tell me anything else? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sourcebooks (the only publisher I know of by that name, anyway) is a commercial publisher. ("Traditional" is not a meaningful term.) An imprint is a line within a publishing house. See this Wikipedia entry for a summary.

Dunno about BBB questions. Sourcebooks is well regarded, well established, and publishes hundreds of books each year. Its founder and CEO, Dominique Raccah, is well known in the industry. She will keynote an upcoming conference in Sacramento (this coming Saturday). Scroll down in this document for a brief bio of her.

Sourcebooks is not a vanity or subsidy publisher (nothing like a PublishAmerica or an iUniverse, Trafford, etc.)

Here is the scoop on submisions: http://www.sourcebooks.com/our-authors/authors-agents-submissions.html

Seems pretty straightforward.

--Ken

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
Right. Just double checked. The imprint I've been reviewing is Sourcebook Fire--a YA imprint. I've read and reviewed two of their new titles and have been impressed. They also have been featured at YAlitchat.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The answer's probably right in front of me, but I'm a little confused on their submission process (here - http://www.sourcebooks.com/our-authors/romance-fiction-submission-guidelines.html)

It says "to query," and gives instructions. Then it says, "to submit" (chapters or full manuscript) and gives instructions.

My question is, do they want a query only first, and then if they request a submission, then those are the guidelines? Or - is it okay just to go ahead and send a submission (full manuscript?) up front, the first time?

Thanks for any clarification y'all can give...

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
The answer's probably right in front of me, but I'm a little confused on their submission process (here - http://www.sourcebooks.com/our-authors/romance-fiction-submission-guidelines.html)

It says "to query," and gives instructions. Then it says, "to submit" (chapters or full manuscript) and gives instructions.

My question is, do they want a query only first, and then if they request a submission, then those are the guidelines? Or - is it okay just to go ahead and send a submission (full manuscript?) up front, the first time?

Thanks for any clarification y'all can give...

FWIW...I've always interpreted it to mean you can submit the chapters or full manuscript with the query.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Erin! That's what I was thinking, too. I'll go ahead and take my chances and submit that way...

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Does anyone have any idea of the kind of advances these guys offer?
Standard sorts of advances, as far as I know. But they are very, very selective. The CEO, Dominque Raccah, made that clear when she spoke to NCPA's conference in April. FWIW, she said they are looking for authors, not just books. That is, they want long-term, multi-book authors.

--Ken

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Standard sorts of advances, as far as I know. But they are very, very selective. The CEO, Dominque Raccah, made that clear when she spoke to NCPA's conference in April. FWIW, she said they are looking for authors, not just books. That is, they want long-term, multi-book authors.

--Ken

Maybe they don't like the 'author mill' model so popular with a lot of smaller presses. I know I certainly don't, from either a publisher or author standpoint.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Came here to post what their new YA editor posted here the other day. It might lead you somewhere where it says what they offer for advances. I do know that they say they pay lower advances than some because they spend more on marketing. :Shrug: Not sure what lower means, but it was enough of an advance that my agent submits to them. So, it must not be too low.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Maybe they don't like the 'author mill' model so popular with a lot of smaller presses. I know I certainly don't, from either a publisher or author standpoint.
It's not exactly a small press. Not one of the half-dozen behemoths, but not small. And it is not an "author mill." It has been described this way: "Sourcebooks, which the largest female-owned publisher in the country, publishes a variety of books from New York Times bestsellers to children’s books."

--Ken

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
It's so very quiet here. Any updates? Anyone? My YA full ms is with Sourcebooks Fire and my 8-10 week response time recently lapsed. No word yet. I'm afraid to SQ and maybe jinx it. LOL *fingerscrossed*

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's so very quiet here. Any updates? Anyone? My YA full ms is with Sourcebooks Fire and my 8-10 week response time recently lapsed. No word yet. I'm afraid to SQ and maybe jinx it. LOL *fingerscrossed*

A polite, appropriate status query never jinxes anything. That said, if they suggested 8-10 weeks, I would give them at least 12 weeks before nudging.

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Do they only require an agent for YA queries, or can an un-agented author submit a query to them for a non-YA MS?

I'd go by whatever their posted guidelines are. Mine was a request from a writer's conference. (Also, Leah H., YA editor, put out an open call for YA submissions on her blog last year. I'm not sure if she's still accepting unagented YA mss now though.)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I know you can submit un-agented adult romance novels, but I'm not sure about other adult genres. Best to read their submisson guidelines.

soccerloves101

Registered
Reaction score
Sourcebooks?

I'm interested in submitting to Sourcebooks and I wanted to know if anyone has worked with them. They are currently accepting non-agented submissions for their new YA branch (Sourcebooks Fire).

I've heard great things about Sourcebooks who are quickly growing and making a name for themselves.

I just wanted more of a personal opinion on AW from anyone here who has submitted or worked with them.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I just wanted more of a personal opinion on AW from anyone here who has submitted or worked with them.. . .
I heard and met the CEO, Dominque Raccah, at a conference last year. She is a dynamo. She said that Sourcebooks is looking to publish authors, not just books -- that is, authors with potential and likelihood of a long career and book after book.

--Ken

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I read a couple books put out by them recently. Can't say the editing wowed me. The books were riddled with a large number of typos and the--what I call--'common romance novel' grammar errors. May used instead of might, laid used in place of lay/lie/lain.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know some authors who have signed with them and are very pleased. They are also in stores in my area.