Canajan, eh?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Aw, how could I hate you? The insects are probably terrible...
In Sri Lanka? Absolutely. Plus the mosquitoes carry not just malaria, but also dengue fever and chikungunya, which has nothing at all to do with chickens and is an incredibly painful disease. We've had it. We're still affected by it six years later.

In Singapore, not so much, although the mosquitoes do carry the nasty diseases, they're nowhere near as prolific as in Sri Lanka. Or Canada's north.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
In Sri Lanka? Absolutely. Plus the mosquitoes carry not just malaria, but also dengue fever and chikungunya, which has nothing at all to do with chickens and is an incredibly painful disease. We've had it. We're still affected by it six years later.

In Singapore, not so much, although the mosquitoes do carry the nasty diseases, they're nowhere near as prolific as in Sri Lanka. Or Canada's north.

Gah! I thought the fleas were bad in Texas. There is ONE nice thing about Canadian winters! Well, that and the quiet.

I discovered yesterday, while I was out painting my outdoor furniture (first nice day we've had in weeks!) that the fans at the stadium just across 111th Ave from us have discovered vuvuzelas this year. Oh JOY. :|

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score

Youch!

Mono was bad enough. Although hey, at least mosquitoes weren't to blame for that.

... Or were they? ;)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I'd say "I know the feeling!" but this year? It's that accursed rain again. Warm torrential rain all summer, light rain all autumn, nasty cold rain all winter...
You've moved to Vancouver?:hooray:
The reason my sister moved to Northern Alberta (Grande Prairie, for those of you who didn't think it got worse than Edmonton) and refuses to come back, is that the grey skies up against the mountains make her feel trapped. She says it may be really cold in the winter, but at least it's a bright, blue sky that goes on for miles.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The fans at the stadium just across 111th Ave from us have discovered vuvuzelas this year. Oh JOY. :|
Don't worry, after their fellow-fans have had a few beers, the 'musicians' will doubtless be beaten with their vuvuzuelas. sigh. Another 'blessing' that soccer has given us.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, after their fellow-fans have had a few beers, the 'musicians' will doubtless be beaten with their vuvuzuelas. sigh. Another 'blessing' that soccer has given us.

Aah yes. Hooligans! :D

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
The reason my sister moved to Northern Alberta (Grande Prairie, for those of you who didn't think it got worse than Edmonton) and refuses to come back, is that the grey skies up against the mountains make her feel trapped. She says it may be really cold in the winter, but at least it's a bright, blue sky that goes on for miles.

I almost forget what a blue sky looks like.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score

Yep, and this is part of the reason I stay. I had an online acquaintance from Vancouver that I finally de-friended. I got so tired of the constant Alberta bashing. I mean...so you hate the place. Big deal. Get OVER it! It was pathological with this guy. Just CONSTANT. This is the guy who is constantly bemoaning the cost of living in Vancouver. Can you see me rolling my eyes from here?

So I defriended him, and then he got annoyed and wanted to know why. I said, "The constant Alberta bashing really got to me." He said I should have told him. I said I did. And why did he have to bash anywhere? Just don't live there if you don't want to.

He told me Alberta is a culturally barren shithole. Then blocked me. Whatever, asshole.

I like it here, and I like sunshine. So it works for me. Less snobby douchebags here like him.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, and this is part of the reason I stay. I had an online acquaintance from Vancouver that I finally de-friended. I got so tired of the constant Alberta bashing. I mean...so you hate the place. Big deal. Get OVER it! It was pathological with this guy. Just CONSTANT. This is the guy who is constantly bemoaning the cost of living in Vancouver. Can you see me rolling my eyes from here?

So I defriended him, and then he got annoyed and wanted to know why. I said, "The constant Alberta bashing really got to me." He said I should have told him. I said I did. And why did he have to bash anywhere? Just don't live there if you don't want to.

He told me Alberta is a culturally barren shithole. Then blocked me. Whatever, asshole.

I like it here, and I like sunshine. So it works for me. Less snobby douchebags here like him.
I'm a BC girl, born and bred, and I'm offended by this jerk, on behalf of my Albertan relatives, and my fellow British Columbians.
We may smart-mouth some, but we don't all constantly bash. The 'call the Albertans during the winter flower-count' thing is just local pride, honest.

And you're certainly not culturally barren! You've got the Symphony, and the Ballet (which my ballet-lovin' friend says is better than Ballet B.C.) and museums and festivals, etc, just like any other major city. (Or so I hear from the kinfolk)
He sounds like the kind of person who calls Vancouver 'No-Fun City', and when being asked for details, says there's not enough opportunities to get drunk.

And after being called on his bashing, his retort is to call Alberta "a culturally barren shithole"?
An idiot. I apologise.

Last edited:

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a BC girl, born and bred, and I'm offended by this jerk, on behalf of my Albertan relatives, and my fellow British Columbians.
We may smart-mouth some, but we don't all constantly bash. The 'call the Albertans during the winter flower-count' thing is just local pride, honest.

And you're certainly not culturally barren! You've got the Symphony, and the Ballet (which my ballet-lovin' friend says is better than Ballet B.C.) and museums and festivals, etc, just like any other major city. (Or so I hear from the kinfolk)
He sounds like the kind of person who calls Vancouver 'No-Fun City', and when being asked for details, says there's not enough opportunities to get drunk.

And after being called on his bashing, his retort is to call Alberta "a culturally barren shithole"?
An idiot. I apologise.

Thanks, frimble. I'm a bit biased, and people think I'm nuts, since Alberta was the first part of Canada I saw, and Mr. Hip and I fell in love in Calgary (and Dallas) during our respective visits back and forth before we were together. Also, I have family connections here as well. (Weird, huh?). My great grandfather's one brother homesteaded with him in North Dakota, and when great granddad went back to Wisconsin, Charley moved up here, and I have an entire DYNASTY of relatives up here who began their Canadian lives in Burdett, Alberta, and later moved to Calgary and parts beyond. So I have plenty of 3rd and 4th cousins in Alberta and BC too (in addition to Mr. Hip's family here).

We have some amazing restaurants here, and Mr. Hip and I got to see the touring company of "The Rocky Horror Show" at the Citadel Theatre a couple months ago. It was FABULOUS! I liked the Frank N Furter at least as much or MORE than Tim Curry!

We ARE going to do the Fringe Festival this year. We were going to go last year and didn't make it (still getting used to new surroundings-- so much to do, etc). And we're making our first trip to BC this summer (Vancouver and Victoria) to visit the aforesaid relatives, so I can decide for myself! :D

Last edited:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
'No Fun City'? Over here, we call NB "No Funswick". But as you said, 'tis just regional pride. Former FB friend sounds like a dope.

As I recall, they are real, real pretty.
What's that Bradbury story? "All Summer in a Day"?
We'll get one soon. eventually.

Hehe.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
OK Canadians.

Who wants to go to Surrey this year? I just discovered I have enough air miles to cover my fare, so I would just need to cover the conference fees, the hotel, and incidentals. It appears that I may have a job locked in until September, so I'm raring to go. Just gotta make it official.

I want to meet some AW'ers!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Erm... the suggestion appears to have scared everyone away. :p

I can't make it, for sure. I'd have loved to though.

No worries. Things are looking iffy here too. The job will probably end in July, so after that, we'll need to watch our pennies. So now I don't know if I'm going either. :|

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
Hey everyone, just joined the forums and thought I would pop over here to wish everyone a Happy Victoria Day. Long weekend weather in Ottawa has been absolutely beautiful, I hope other places are just as nice.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The weather was nice on Saturday, but has turned to rain, which is predicted to last for the first half of the week. Happy Victoria Day, regardless!

Last edited:

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
It's been sunny but too hot for my taste here—our A/C was struggling to keep up yesterday afternoon. Of course, that's probably making the people who actually participate in the local Victoria Day sport of getting drunk and falling out of boats quite happy. Sigh.

The problem with much of Northern Ontario is that it's so far inland that we do the climate equivalent of driving a vehicle without springs: very hot in summer, very cold in winter. Why do I live here, again?

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
LOL, this is a good question. In the middle of winter I often wonder why anyone began to inhabit Canada in the first place.

I actually just moved back to Ottawa after being in Toronto for 4 years. While I am mostly happy to be back, I do miss Toronto winter.

And the subway :(

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just joined the forums and thought I would pop over here to wish everyone a Happy Victoria Day. Long weekend weather in Ottawa has been absolutely beautiful, I hope other places are just as nice.

I'm in Toronto, and it's lovely here, too.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Well, SiWC registration starts on June 6th! Is anyone planning on going?
I'm from Red Deer, AB but have enough miles for my fare, my husband has graciously decided the conference will count as my b-day present lol and now I just need to figure out the rooming situation but damn am I excited, this will be my first conference ever!