Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
back from class, everyone generally liked my chapter so i'm excited.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I added all my WIP word counts for TL, CMRH, and TWH - the ones I worked on since the start of the new year - as well as estimated cut words and included the 24K of TL's old draft that I completely decided to revamp. Total, it's around 70-72K written in the last 3.5 months. That makes me feel really good. Like I already did finish a novel :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Sadness!

In this scene, a potential love interest botches his romantic check!

Kes, who had been stepping backwards, froze. Her eyes widened and blood rushed to her cheeks. She had practiced with him only a few days before, though it felt more like a few years. But still, the way that he had said that made her heart flutter and her cheeks heat. She shook her head, remembering the sheer impropriety of this. She opened her mouth to lecture Nic about the nature of class, nobility, betrothal and how him being in this room – with that tone of voice! - went against the grain of all three.

She never got a single word out.

Nic leaned forward, caught her wrists and trapped her mouth with his.
Her eyes widened. And for maybe five seconds – stretching out to an eternity, as if she were a ship in the Warp and real-space was warping outside of her mind into weeks and months – she let the kiss continue. Her toes tingled and her breath stopped and her heart pounded like the drums of the bilge decks.

Then she shoved Nic back and slapped him.

He clutched his face, eyes wide. “Wha...T...What the hell was that for?”

“I'm betrothed!” Kes said, her hand tingling, her eyes just as wide. She had just smacked the son of Lord-Captain Sadronosticus. But she took a hold of her courage – she had faced down a witch, she could face down him. “I'm betrothed and, as the Emperor as my witness, I will do my duty and I will make sure you do your duty, Nicodimia Thrace-Sadronosticus!”

“My duty?”

“Yes!” She stood up straighter. “You will be married, as befits your station, to someone who has the proper blood.”

“The Black Bell on Terra would ring first!” He said, wiping at his cheek. “I'm a bastard, and moreover, I'm allowed to have a mistress or two, every-”

Kes saw red.

“Get. Out.” Her finger thrust to the door.

Is it considered feminist if a woman stands up for her right...to be subjugated by a horrifyingly misogynistic theocracy?

I don't know, but Joan of Arc did it, and so, I ape it in my Joan of Arc in Space Story!

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Sadness!

Is it considered feminist if a woman stands up for her right...to be subjugated by a horrifyingly misogynistic theocracy?

I don't know, but Joan of Arc did it, and so, I ape it in my Joan of Arc in Space Story!

I don't know the answer to that either, but I love you for posing the question.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Essays I can totally BS without even thinking about it half the time. Reading responses are harder. Probably because they're shorter. It's like, "Okay. This should only take me like 15 minutes. ...What do I say, though?" And once I'm past that it's hard because with shorter papers I'm more of a perfectionist and I want to get the words right the first time.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
sooooo i'm so tired.

Me and 4 others in my class stayed up till 2 trying to figure out the second of two problems on our take home test. We worked on it for 4 and a half hours and finally got answers!!! That actually make sense... although we're still not 100% sure they are correct... but its better then nothing!

In the mist of our hysteria i calculated how many hours we has a group of 5 worked on it. Answer? 12 hours, in the last three days. Then i added that into the amount of time i spent trying to figure this out alone... I spent a total of 47 hours in the last week on this fucking test alone. That's nearly two days of STRAIGHT work!!!

This test pretty much is the final line, if i pass i'm my chances of graduation go up by 10% meaning i have a 60% chance of actually graduating! Sadly if all those 47 hours end up with us all still getting the wrong answer and failing... then its game over and i dont graduate...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Being able to BS your way through things is an excellent skill to have. XD

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I can BS my way through anything! Though essays I find a little easier than reading responses.

I still do basically BS reading responses, but it's harder. But almost any paper I write for school is a load of BS.

Something a friend and I were talking about once was that essays--especially for lit/theory classes--are almost all BS. There's actually more...truth, I suppose, in creative writing than in critical or analytic writing.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm stuck on what to do with the first chapter of Sticks and Stones for the purpose od submitting it.

Also, I wish I wouldn't keep getting signed out.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
*is amazed by pottermore*

*is late joining pottermore*

*is about to take the sorting quiz*