Word Wars!

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the chat room today, just to make sure the lights were on and people there were comfy and all, and to my surprise, found it full of people in the midst of a battle.

At least, they were shouting to one another “WAR!” and “Go Go go!” and other loud exclamations. Then there would be long periods (long for a chat room, that is) where no one said anything.

Finally, someone shouted “TIME!”

I had to ask. And I was informed that they were playing a “Word War.”

Again, I had to ask. A word war, I was told, is where two or more participants agree to a start time and a time limit and then write like mad to see who can achieve the largest word count.

Sounded like fun. (The highest count I saw was 938 words--in one hour, I believe.) Fortunately for me, there was enough interest in doing another war and I decided to join in. This time, the time limit was 30 minutes.

I managed 600 words before the 30 minutes were up. Another player produced 673 words. The winner managed to write 760! I chalk up my poor performance to writing with my internal editor on.

But it was fun! There is no posting the results, but we chatted a little about what we wrote and shared favorite passages.

Part of what we talked about was holding the Word War game on a regular basis. I think it's a fun diversion, one we could do several times a week, or several times a day, depending on the level of interest.

The game depends on being in chat (at least in its current format) so you have to follow this link:
Because of new Absolute Write chat room policy, you will be allowed to enter the room, but not actually chat unless a channel operator is present. An operator wears the @ sign before his/her name, like this: @Peter. I will try to be there this week, every day, between the hours of 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM EDT. (That's 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM PDT) There are other operators and they may be in the chat room at other times. Look for Jed, Fenika, KittyPryde, ChaosTitan.

If a game isn't already underway when you arrive, go ahead and start one.

Write many words and by all means, have a blast!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone wants to plan a word war chat here, and finds no operators in the AW room, they can always PM each other and get set up that way.

Word wars are a great way to let go. It might not work for you for an entire first draft, but it's excellent practice in letting ideas flow. And a little competition is always nice.

Best part is, anyone with a word count above 0 is a winner :)

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
The best thing about the short time limits is that it makes it easier for people from different time zones to share in on the fun.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
We've been doing that on Face Book for months. But for daily word counts. It's a lot of fun

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
We just started this on chat today. I'm not even on Facebook.

Hope this means we get somebody new to war with. :)

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Next live Word War: Today, 2:00 PM EDT.

If you haven't been to chat, yet, information on how to do that is here.

Be there, or be square. :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Word war in the chat room, starting at : 45, lasting for 30 mins. Be there, squares!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone wants to word war, please join me in the chat room! :)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, Laura! Sara, no problem. I plan to be in and out of there most of the day. :)

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, if there are no ops (the people with the @ next to their name, or the bright green button), you won't be able to chat.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering about that. I thought without an op, we'd get a message when we typed something, but I haven't seen anything like that. There hasn't been any reply from the other people there, so perhaps none of us is seeing anything, though.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
IM seems to be having issues. I'll join you here, Laura. :) I'm fine for going for 30 minutes.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You folks should be able to PM each other

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Calling all those who want a Word War. Hello? Anyone there?

We have a few gathered in the chat room, looking for more, of course. And a new Word War will commence at :45 past the hour. Be there or be round :D

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
25_count_me_in.jpg