• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Joanna just requested a full after reviewing my partial and giving critiques! Maybe we'll be in the same boat, BW.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I sent it a couple of days ago. Joanna replied back at around 11 p.m. last night! Somebody needs to pay her some overtime. haha So I didn't see the email until this morning. I sent her the partial around 10 something and she replied back at 12:55 with critiques and said that she thought the premise was really cool and my MC would be a great YA heroine.

It was weird, too, because I didn't even see BW's post about her until after I queried her. (I sent 13 more queries out and Joanna just happened to be one of them.) I'm trying not to be excited. Don't want to get my hopes up.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
She really does move quickly. You saw my timeline, didn't you? I only queried her a week ago, and she offered last night. Here's hoping she responds quickly o your full! For me, I sent on a friday and she read it over the weekend. LIke I siad, she's super nice, so I'm totally crossing my fingers for you, Rebecca!

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
From what othrs have told me, even when she rejects a full, she has lots of great critique, so at the very least you'll get advice--of course, I'm hoping you and me we'll be in the same situation soon! lol. Would that not be funny and awesome?

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
BW - Yes, that would be awesome. We could go on book tour together. LOL

Senora - Thanks! :)

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
She really does move quickly. You saw my timeline, didn't you? I only queried her a week ago, and she offered last night. Here's hoping she responds quickly o your full! For me, I sent on a friday and she read it over the weekend. LIke I siad, she's super nice, so I'm totally crossing my fingers for you, Rebecca!

Congratulations! How exciting! Did you do a happy dance around your house? lol:partyguy:

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Blind Writer! I hope your book gets sold quickly!

I e-queried Joanna with my YA fantasy (time-travel romance) on the 12th, heard back yesterday, and sent the full this morning. I need to mail a hard copy before the weekend. Another agent has the full, and three others have partials, but I'm very excited about hearing back from Joanna.

She seems young and energetic, so I think she makes a great fit for a young'un like you, BW, lol!

May I ask what your novel is about? The title is very...open to interpretation.

Again, congrats and well-wishes! And good luck to anyone else who has submitted to Joanna. She's quick and thoughtful, just what I'm looking for in an agent!:snoopy:

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
My book is a YA contemporary. It's kind of a dark romantic comedy. DUFF = designated ugly, fat friend. It's kind of edgy and racy and full of foul language. But she liked it!

Congrats on the full request!! She had me send a hard copy, too. But I don't even know when it reached her. I sent it Friday and she emailed Monday asking to talk to me on Tuesday. I hope all works out for your full! She's very nice and she seems really enthusiastic about her job, which is always a good sign.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
She didn't ask for a hard copy of my full :(

That can't be good...

Last edited:

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy for you guys and everything, but I'm starting to feel like a bitter old lady because Joanna requested my partial on Friday, I sent it, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Normally I wouldn't expect a respopnse yet, but she requested my partial less than 24 hours after I queried her and everyone else seems to have lightening fast responses to partials.

Or maybe she's only fast if she likes it :(

Helene B

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heleneboudreau.com
I'm happy for you guys and everything, but I'm starting to feel like a bitter old lady because Joanna requested my partial on Friday, I sent it, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Normally I wouldn't expect a respopnse yet, but she requested my partial less than 24 hours after I queried her and everyone else seems to have lightening fast responses to partials.

Or maybe she's only fast if she likes it :(

Waiting is hard, (I know!) but I don't think you can read too much into the timeline. She's been busy signing a new client, after all. *wink*

She requested my full the same night and took about a week before asking for revisions (lightning fast, IMHO). I made the changes and sent it back within a month, now I'm just waiting to hear. It's been about three weeks so far.

Definitely worth the wait!

Congratulations to BW and everyone getting requests! In my case, Joanna has been AMAZING throughout the process.

anthonyjcardieri

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luckofthedrawstmartins.blogspot.com
Wow, I am so out of the loop. I didn't get a chance to come here for the last few days. Anyhow, congrats BW!! Welcome to the team! Not to temper your excitement though, but be prepared for a very looonnnggggg publishing process. It takes forever once a publisher signs you. I signed my contracts in July of 08 and the book comes out Dec 09. But it is an interesting, often frustrating journey in between. Just know that Joanna wouldn't take you on unless she thought your book was good enough for sale. And the best part? No more hawking your own books! You have an agent now that will do all the legwork. Joanna is now the master key that opens the lock on every door that stands in your way in the publishing industry. You now have access to all the biggest houses. That is huge. I am very happy for you, especially since you are only 17 and have many years to perfect your craft. Just stay true to yourself and your "voice" in writing. You are eons ahead of most other writers. Good luck, and don't forget us little people. ANT

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
DUFF, now I get it! lol

Thanks for the info, hon. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Helene B. That made me feel better. I'm sorry for whining. Good luck and keep us posted!

I am happy for you, BW. I've read some of The DUFF on SYW and it's good and I can't wait to read it whenever it comes out. I just kinda wished you would've kept the part about being 17 to yourself :)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a happy dance for you Blind Writer!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! :D :D

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
She requested my full the same night and took about a week before asking for revisions (lightning fast, IMHO). I made the changes and sent it back within a month, now I'm just waiting to hear. It's been about three weeks so far.

Did she ask you to make changes before offering representation? I'm just curious.