• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Objective Entertainment

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Objective Entertainment? Maybe it's me, but it seems like I've noticed them popping up on AgentQuery.com all of a sudden. Are they a new agency? Their website looks like they're in the process of building it and their agents seem to have been with legit agencies in the past.

payitforward

Muppet Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nancyhigh.wordpress.com
Hi There,

I just got an agent request to see a partial of my fantasy novel. I'll let you know how it goes.

From what I've seen, yes, they're a new agency, but I think it's being built up by people who've been around in the entertainment field, so I think it might get good deals quickly. We'll see!

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found this at http://www.vistacomp.com/pub_moves/pub_moves_2007_1.html :

Objective Entertainment
Former Literary Group agent Ian Kleinert will lead a new management and production company, Objective Entertainment, formed by Mudd Jeans founder Marty Weisfeld and veteran music manager and television producer Jarred Weisfeld.

which the website said was gotten Publisher's Marketplace.

Ian Kleinert was an agent at The Literary Group (which is legit). Jarred Weisfeld apparently has produced, directed, and written a bunch of movies (although I've never heard of any of them: Pranksta is one of them, if that rings a bell with anyone). Not sure where the Mudd Jeans guy comes in (unless he's a brother or cousin of Jarred Weisfeld).

Sounds legit to me.

~Nancy

Chalula88

Registered
Reaction score
Objective Entertainment - Yvonne Woon

She requested my partial. Has anyone ever heard of her?

Chalula88

Registered
Reaction score
Oops! They weren't listed in the directory, but when I did a google search I found a post of them already on the website.

Sorry about that!

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you with the partial requests from Yvonne Woon, have you heard anything yet?

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
I looked into this, got an offer, a contract that looked pretty standard until

"Reimbursements for Expenses: You agree to reimburse us for the resonable expenses in connection with the disposition of any rights to the Work and any worsk derived therefrom, such as copying the manuscript, retyping the manuscript, postage, messengers or express delivery. All extraordinary expenses shall be subject to your consent. At our discretion, you shall reiumburse us in cash or we may deduct such expenses from your advances or other earnings from any work hereunder."

Sounds like a scam to me. Agree?

Yeah that's a red flag right there. I'm no expert but that's all I need to know to tell me to steer clear.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually I beg to differ. There are many agents who make such stipulations who are legit. I know my agency did (and don't worry, they are a top agency and very well respected), yet at the same time I don't think they have actually ever charged me for anything. I can't say if this agency is a scam or is not, I have done no research on the subject, but this isn't necessarily a red flag.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

"Reimbursements for Expenses: You agree to reimburse us for the resonable expenses in connection with the disposition of any rights to the Work and any worsk derived therefrom, such as copying the manuscript, retyping the manuscript, postage, messengers or express delivery. All extraordinary expenses shall be subject to your consent. At our discretion, you shall reiumburse us in cash or we may deduct such expenses from your advances or other earnings from any work hereunder."

No
Sounds like a perfectly standard agency clause

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of this as well. Some legit agents do this, absolutely.
When they take their commission from the advance on the sale of your book, they also take the fees. they run you a tab until then.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
SFWA's Model Agent-Author Contract --http://www.sfwa.org/contracts/agents_cont.htm--

addresses this in section five. It is normal for some agencies to list expenses for which they should be reimbursed. The direct section and comments of the SFWA are listed below:

5. EXPENSES BORNE BY LITERARY AGENT. From the Literary Agent's Commission, the Literary Agent shall pay (a) all subsidiary or split commissions required by foreign or subsidiary agents, and (b) such other costs, listed in the attached Rider, as Literary Agent may incur in promoting or selling the Author's Represented Works. The Literary Agent shall not be reimbursed for such expenses and need not account for them to the Author, except that the Author shall reimburse the Literary Agent for unusual expenses, incurred by the Literary Agent with the Author's prior consent, for the Represented Works. {This phrase is the best case for the author, but it's just another component of the give and take between author and agent, and should be factored into the projected agent commission when comparing two otherwise equal agents. Often, the agents charging higher commission rates are willing to include some expenses in their commission. Just be clear on what you'll be expected to pay for, and if you can, limit additional expenses to those applicable to works actually sold.}

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

No. It's a completely standard agency clause.

If they don't sell it, but they claim to have made a hundred copies/reprints, whatever-- I pay them. That's what I understand from it.

That sounds like an easy way of making money off authors.

I've never heard of this happening with a legitimate agency (charging these expenses for a MS they couldn't sell). I know that my last agents took the copying $$ out of the advance, and it was something around $100.

It's not a big deal to me, but if it's something you don't want to deal with, renegotiate it. It's certainly not a sign that these folks are scammers.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
It's only a red flag if they want the money up front before anything's been copied, mailed, or otherwise handled that requires a fee. Otherwise, when it's paid from the commission or upon termination of your contract with them, it's normal.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
My agent had a clause like this in his contract, but never actually charged me these items even after the advance came in. He told me he keeps it in there just in case a client does something that really gets his goat.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
beginning to panic

Got me a requested partial over at Objective Entertainment too. How long will it take to be reviewed, do you think? I'm beginning to panic as it's been over a month now since I sent it over. Maybe they were so unimpressed by it that they just tossed it in the trash along with a half-eaten tuna sandwich and pickle slice.

ps Y'all sound very nice. :)

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Got me a requested partial over at Objective Entertainment too. How long will it take to be reviewed, do you think? I'm beginning to panic as it's been over a month now since I sent it over. Maybe they were so unimpressed by it that they just tossed it in the trash along with a half-eaten tuna sandwich and pickle slice.

Don't panic. Brenden Deneen asked for a partial and the only reason he's reading it now is because other agents asked for the whole after reading partials and I told him so. They are a fine agency and you just have to be patient.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thanks Gerry

Thanks for the insight Gerry. You've put my mind at ease. Good luck with your own ms, though from the sound of things it sounds like you are in the drivers seat with a tank full of gas.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they were so unimpressed by it that they just tossed it in the trash along with a half-eaten tuna sandwich and pickle slice.

Okay Anis,

Enough with the self-doubt. If they asked for it, I'm sure it's what they're looking for. I'm sure it's great.

But if you want to laugh, you probably sent it during the holiday's Thanksgiving maybe, so it may be in with the Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Please let us know as soon as you hear from them. I'm praying for you!!!!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
AHHH! NOT CRANBERRY SAUCE!!!

Turkey and Stuffing are scrumptious enough to eat by the pound! Cranberry Sauce is an entirely different matter, though. That stuff is just plain nasty. What really gets my goat is that it's made up to look and bobble about like Cherry Jello which is delish.

...and so is Honey from out of the Comb! (Meaning to say your kind words and pledged prayers have made me very, very :).)

Will keep you posted about my ms's fate. ps Cool avatar. Must get myself one ... of a raccoon, maybe?

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Cranberry Sauce is an entirely different matter, though. That stuff is just plain nasty. What really gets my goat is that it's made up to look and bobble about like Cherry Jello which is delish.

I agree with the cranberry sauch. Oooh Yuk!

If you ever need encouraging send me an email.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I Can't Win

I took Honeycomb up on her gracious offer and sent her a message, last week, but haven't heard back from her yet . So now, in addition to anxiously awaiting a reply from Objective Entertainment, I am now also waiting for one from her.

I suspect I blew things by relaying a bit more personal info to her than I should have, regarding the dire economic situation I'm now in, due to my complete absorbtion in writing, over the years, and utter disregard for financial concerns, which have finally overtaken me.

Why couldn't I have just spoken about some trite matter in my missive to Honeycomb, like the unseasonably warm weather we're experiencing in my neck of the woods.

Well who knows, maybe she'll still get back to me . . . though that's probably more unlikely than ever now, in light of this recent reply of mine.

Last edited: