Rejectomancy

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
JC is taking a three day vacation from AW, during which time i hope he'll consider what it means to respect your fellow writer, even if you don't agree with them.

With that in mind, now's as good a time as any to remind y'all that if someone's post offends or upsets you, the best things to do are: 1) Politely PM the person in question, and explain how you feel. Politely. 2) Report said post. 3) PM one of the room mods.

I'd also suggest rereading the post in question at least twice, and allowing a few minutes cooling time before doing anything, as in the heat of the moment it can be very easy to misconstrue intent (such as: misconstruing a person feeling comfortable enough within a group to talk about their foibles and quirks as that individual being pretentious or intentionally offensive).

And also, seeing as i haven't been all that active in this thread for a while: big *hugs* for you all. Keep on truckin', peeps!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
JC is taking a three day vacation from AW, during which time i hope he'll consider what it means to respect your fellow writer, even if you don't agree with them.../QUOTE]

Wow! That's the first time I've seen it get a bit nasty round these parts. Feel a bit... defiled?

So anyway, before that I was saying, higher tier from One Story... woo hoo!

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I missed all that! ^^ :Wha:

Sorry for all the R's especially Nat! But Clarkesworld is waiting.

I got my second R for the week- I turned around and subbed my first twitter piece to trapeze. On the plus, they haven't been long waits but they were awfully fast. So maybe my first attempt at twit fic fell a little short!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Analog said 'No'.

Not a huge surprise.

But they sent a whole list of 'fundamental faults'.
I'm assuming (hoping) that they send this to everyone, and it's not just that my story was so badly flawed it ticked all of those boxes.

Anyone know for sure?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So anyway, before that I was saying, higher tier from One Story... woo hoo!
Nice!

Somehow I missed all that! ^^ :Wha:

Sorry for all the R's especially Nat! But Clarkesworld is waiting.

I got my second R for the week- I turned around and subbed my first twitter piece to trapeze. On the plus, they haven't been long waits but they were awfully fast. So maybe my first attempt at twit fic fell a little short!
Aww. *hugs* Twitter fic is fun though, isn't it?

Analog said 'No'.

Not a huge surprise.

But they sent a whole list of 'fundamental faults'.
I'm assuming (hoping) that they send this to everyone, and it's not just that my story was so badly flawed it ticked all of those boxes.

Anyone know for sure?
I think that's their standard form. At least, it's what i've gotten in the past, anyway (though both times the story i sent them ticked at least two of the boxes--not that they were actually ticked, but, y'know).

Last edited:

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, that's what Analog always does, I believe. Not a problem with your tale at all.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Is this the analog response you mean:

Thank you very much for letting me see "Old" We regret that we cannot make use of it at this time.

All submissions will be examined as promptly as possible, and if suitable, will be paid for on acceptance.

Many manuscripts are rejected because of fundamental faults. Check these things:
—Since Analog is a science fiction magazine, we consider only science fiction stories—that is, stories in which some aspect of realistic science or technology plays an integral part. We do not publish fantasy or stories in which the science is only peripheral.
—Science fiction readers are problem solvers! Stories with downbeat endings, in which the characters have no hope of solving their problems, are strongly disliked by Analog readers. In a good SF story, the characters strive to solve their problems—and even if they fail in the end, they go down fighting, not whimpering.
—Good fiction demands strong, believable characters who face powerful, intriguing problems. Without these, there is no story, no matter how fascinating the ideas or scientific background may be.
—Some plot ideas have been so overworked that it’s virtually impossible to wring a fresh story from them. These include “scientific” retellings of biblical tales, time travelers who unwittingly change their world when traveling into the past, UFO stories, and stories in which the “alien” world turns out to be Earth.
—Write about what you know. Analog writers should be able to do sufficient research to get their facts straight, and they should be keen enough observers of people to write realistically about them.
—Please don’t ask for individual criticism. With hundreds of submissions per month, it is physically impossible to answer them all personally. Many writing errors are quite subtle, and extremely difficult to define clearly in a sentence or two.

Sincerely,
Stanley Schmidt
Editor

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks, Peeps! That was the list.

I'm sure the story ticked a few of those boxes, though!

Onward and upward :)

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out the same twitter piece and it got rejected in an hour! But the other I submitted was accepted. my very first :D.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
After all the excitement yesterday, it's all crickets today. Not surprising. Most of my subs are in the long wait category.

Guess it's time to get back to work.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This seems strange. Why would they dump the stories the previous editor was considering? Seems like those'd be the ones with promise, even if they didn't all totally fit.

Anyway, not much sense dwelling. Off to Clarkesworld we go, and onwards after that.

My impression is that there was something like almost 100 stories sent up by the slush readers to the previous editor's desk over the last year, which may or may not have been read there, before being "let go" upon the changeover.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the R's everyone! I've had quite a few lately from many markets. I got the form "it's close" from Clarkesworld yesterday. But the other day, I managed to get a form from Shimmer. They always do personal rejections, so this story must've really sucked lol. *sigh*

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Faery))))

Maybe Shimmer just couldn't find anything wrong with it. Maybe it just didn't fit the issue or something.

Yay! for the Clarkesworld R :)

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
On the subject of Rs, I'm working my way through the just-released "Best American Short Stories 2011" and wanted to share this: Tom Bissell says that his story, "A Bridge Under Water," was rejected fifteen times before it was taken by Agni and, ultimately, selected for the BASS volume.

Just a reminder of the importance of turning those Rs around and getting them back out the door. Certainly makes me feel better about my recent spate of Rs....

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got my 50th R today!

Yay!!!!

:partyguy: Beer and Pizza for everyone! :partyguy:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I needed something to cheer me up.
My hand has swollen up, and I'm typing with one hand.

It's either rheumatoid arthritis or gout.
Gout??? Seriously? People get that still???

Anyway, it's like all kinds of agony and I'm off my face on pain meds.

Yay!!!! :D

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Ouch, ouch, ouch! That doesn't sound very fun. I hope the swelling goes down soon. If it is gout, lay off the salt and foods high in purines (red meat, mostly). I write health articles all day, can you tell? lol

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Shall I put vinegar on it?

I had blood took today, and the hospital will send for me soon. Until then everyone is guessing.

I'll be fine, no worries. But it's making writing difficult. Both the thinking and the doing.
But it's my left hand, so, small mercies :)

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
lol yes, vinegar should do the trick haha

Well here's to hoping the swelling goes away and it was just nature's way of telling you that you're simply writing too much. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Aww, poor Lillie. :( Hope you get better soon!

Do you have one of those programs where you can talk into a microphone and the computer will type it down for you? Tho I don't know how effective those programs are. :Huh:

And, uh, congrats on 50 R's!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lol yes, vinegar should do the trick haha

Well here's to hoping the swelling goes away and it was just nature's way of telling you that you're simply writing too much. :)

Nah, too much wanking...

There can never be too much writing :)