• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I think my writing sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I am going through one of those days where I think my writing sucks. But I keep writing anyway. For me it helps knowing that if I don't like how something turns out, I can edit/rewrite it later.

How do you guys deal with periods where you think your writing sucks?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
My writing sucks too! As always.

What I do? I get to writing, regardless of the shit flowing out from my fingertips. Not writing isn't going to improve my writing.

btw, as with every skill, the more often you use it, the better it gets and the more confident you are in it. Try writing everyday, and, possibly, not to look back on what you wrote the previous day and just keep pushing ahead.

TWallace

Registered
Reaction score
I am so pleased that so many stereo-types get smashed to bits here. So many people think writers are either conceited and pompous or miserable and self-pitying. It is nice to know that we are both and everything in between. I suffer from self-doubt, especially after reading something already in print. Then there are times when I read something and think, I could do that so much better....

I just keep on keeping on when mine suck...but then again I'm not published....hhmmm....

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling your writing sucks is the first step towards success as it allows you to examine what exactly doesn't work. This is far better than the would be Stephen King complaining about why no one has recognized their genius. When I feel this way, I go into hardcore edit mode. No writing just editing ... The feeling will pass.

AuroraRose

Starving College Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xaviermosaic.com
I always feel that way! Editing doesn't even really help. It's just a general creeping feeling that I'm throwing my life away.

Then again, I don't have anything published yet. Hopefully that goes away some when someone actually pays me for the garbage I spew into microsoft word.

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
How do I deal? I drown my self-deprecation in chocolate or some other junk food, and get my mind somewhere else for a while. Go to the gym, play video games, watch movies, paint... and so on and so forth.

Then, once I've healed my self-inflicted wounds, I muster the courage to face my writing again. Because it will never get better if I walk away forever.

Oh, and sometimes I go to a bookstore when I'm feeling down on myself, and soak in all the subpar literature that sells in the name of what's popular. Then I think to myself, 'If this stuff can make money, there's hope for us yet.'

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel that way! Editing doesn't even really help. It's just a general creeping feeling that I'm throwing my life away.

Then again, I don't have anything published yet. Hopefully that goes away some when someone actually pays me for the garbage I spew into microsoft word.

In my experience that is just your subconscious rebelling against any kind of discipline. It is very convincing and rational but it is the same dark corner of your mind that rise to tell you calories don't count on Christmas and that missing one workout will be okay.

AuroraRose

Starving College Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xaviermosaic.com
Psh, calories don't count on any holiday. Like Thanksgiving. And Martin Luther King Day.

Really though, writing is an extraordinarily frustrating pursuit. A lot of times I wish I had forced myself to be a bio major like everyone else.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Editing doesn't even really help.

I do have to interject and say, editing will always help the writing, but also the act of editing will improve your writing substantially. Don't think its not useful, I think its one of the greatest tools a writer can use, regardless of revising or writing the first draft.

AuroraRose

Starving College Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xaviermosaic.com
I do have to interject and say, editing will always help the writing, but also the act of editing will improve your writing substantially. Don't think its not useful, I think its one of the greatest tools a writer can use, regardless of revising or writing the first draft.

You would think so, but I always wonder if I wrote it better the first time. I agree though, editing is important.

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Psh, calories don't count on any holiday. Like Thanksgiving. And Martin Luther King Day.

Really though, writing is an extraordinarily frustrating pursuit. A lot of times I wish I had forced myself to be a bio major like everyone else.

Yes it is, but so is working out, painting, meditation, archery, sailing money, etc, etc, etc. I will give this piece of wisdom for whatever it is worth. I have been teaching for 12 years in the same school. I love my job and feel fulfilled and satisfied with it. The first ten years, I hated it. The first two I was so nervous and stressed out I vomited every day before work. (Seriously). I think writing is the same. The benefit of editing is that you can still a coming something.

akpeach

Registered
Reaction score
four days north of hopeless and 3 degrees south of

Exactly! And calories especially don't count on National Chocolate Cake Day (which was last week for those who missed it.)

I always find myself falling into the "I think my writing sucks" pit when I've read a really great book. I find myself hating every single word I write, finding way too many repetitive words and feeling my entire story line is contrived and overdone.

But then I stop reading books (yes, I'll go through large chunks of time where I don't pick up any books that I think might be better than mine which is most books) and I just start writing again. The more I write, the more I want to write. And when I hate writing, I take a break and then go back to it again.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You would think so, but I always wonder if I wrote it better the first time. I agree though, editing is important.

I always find that what I wrote the first time around to be golden. That perfect line. But then I take the leap of faith and rewrite it all and I'm happier with it than my last draft. I always go through that hesitation, but it always works out in the end.

Yes it is, but so is working out, painting, meditation, archery, sailing money, etc, etc, etc.

Sailing money doesn't sound that hard. Is it like riding a sandworm?

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think my writing is the best in the world, but I don't think it sucks, either. If I knew I was wasting my time, I would've stopped writing a long time ago. I think what's best, if you can't stop writing, just don't lose hope. There's always room for improvement. There was a time in which super-successful writers like Stephen King, JK Rowling, Dan Brown, and many others, there was a time in which their work would get rejected time after time, but you know what they did? They didn't give up. They became better, and they could finally get agents and get published, and today, whether their writing's good or bad, there A-list writers. Some people think Stephen King is the best writer in the world and others think he can't write worth a darn, but reality is he's A-list, and he didn't get there with the very first novel he wrote. I heard Stephen didn't get published until his sixth or seventh novel. Just don't give up on your dream. Believing your writing is sub-par is the first step toward success. Just try to turn off that self-editor in your head and get thee writing.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I always find myself falling into the "I think my writing sucks" pit when I've read a really great book. I find myself hating every single word I write, finding way too many repetitive words and feeling my entire story line is contrived and overdone.

I have that same feeling at times. Also sounds like it's pretty common, and I agree with others who've said the good thing about being nervous about your writing is that you aren't blind to its faults and it spurs you to continue to improve.

Funny enough, I just started reading a writing book and the author said, "Don't worry about feeling even worse [after reading one of your favorite novels] because you think you can't write like that author. You're not supposed to. You never can. But guess what? He can't write like you, either." (James Scott Bell)

Stanhy59

Write On
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to know I'm not alone. I have times when I absolutely cringe when I reread something. I wonder how the hell I could have fooled myself into thinking it was any good at all.

Then I reread it another time and wonder why I was so down on it. It isn't wonderful....but it isn't anything to go hide in the cellar about either.

I don't think anything I've done is what I would call great, just that it doesn't suck quite as bad. Maybe that's good; it makes you try harder.

I also see redundancy in words and phrases later that make me swear. It's so hard to not have another set of eyes on your work.

Dorky

Registered
Reaction score
My writing always sucks; it's in a state of perpetual suckiness.

I just keep on writing anyway and try my best to edit every terrible thing I catch. :)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Honestly, I try to ignore it. I write the way I write, no matter how I feel about it on any given day. If it annoys me, I might take a look at some really bad writing to snap me out of it, or look at my early work to see how far I've come. Days when I've decided every single word I ever have written absolutely sucks might not be my most productive days, but they don't stop me.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You're most likely to think your writing sucks right after you have a breakthrough that helps you understand your craft better.

In other words, that miserable "I suck" feeling is a sign of progress--it's the normal accompaniment to becoming a better writer than you ever have been.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I'm always amazed when people say their writing doesn't suck. I think my writing sucks and I'm pretty sure the agents who have my manuscripts are going to say the same. But I still love to write, and I know that I'm better than I was a couple of years ago. At least there's that.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny - I have always been pretty much free of the thought that my writing sucks. I have the problem of thinking my ideas suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.