• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

sb2brown

Registered
Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering about response times, just thought I'd share. The author I've been ghostwriting for sent an e-query to Katherine Fausset on 10/27/11. He received a rejection from her assistant on 11/16/11, stating Ms. Fausset is taking on very few new projects at this time.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
FYI, if you were thinking of subbing to Sarah LaPolla, she tweeted this the other day:

"Writers: Still no vampires, werewolves, angels, or zombies please! Disenchanted w/ paranormal in general (YA & adult), so query w/ caution."

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I've had rejections from both Ginger Clark (no response) and Sarah LaPolla (just above form). Alas.

lyrwriter

A Fuzzy Mango With Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fuzzymango.wordpress.com
Just dropping in to mention that Ginger Clark tweeted on 4/9/12 that she is caught up on all equeries up through 4/2/12 and on all but two requested materials up through 3/11/12.

Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
Resume?

I came across this on Curtis Brown's website:

"Curtis Brown represents adult and children’s authors of all genres, including illustrators. If you would like to submit a manuscript or proposal, please send us a query letter, a synopsis of the work, a sample chapter and a brief resume."

What should I put on the resume? I've never heard of needing a resume for querying. Help is much appreciated!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've always assumed it meant "author bio." So, include publication credits, schooling (maybe, I've never included it), what you do for a living (if appropriate to what you write), hobbies (if appropriate to what you write), any connection you have to the media.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I came across this on Curtis Brown's website:

"Curtis Brown represents adult and children’s authors of all genres, including illustrators. If you would like to submit a manuscript or proposal, please send us a query letter, a synopsis of the work, a sample chapter and a brief resume."

What should I put on the resume? I've never heard of needing a resume for querying. Help is much appreciated!

I'd suggest not doing this at all... you'll get a better response from querying the agents directly (one at a time). Check out their bios in the agent section for their individual submission preferences. I don't recall any of them asking for a resume.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
The resume might be tied to the non-fiction proposal (i.e., why should we believe you're qualified to write about the perils of using dish soap to clean old nitroglycerine bottles (for an extreme example)).

Although, I would have assumed that would naturally be part of the proposal like writing credits are in the query letter . . .

rac

Registered
Reaction score
The resume might be tied to the non-fiction proposal (i.e., why should we believe you're qualified to write about the perils of using dish soap to clean old nitroglycerine bottles (for an extreme example)).

Although, I would have assumed that would naturally be part of the proposal like writing credits are in the query letter . . .

What they're looking for is what is called a writer's "platform." Publishing houses look for credentials such as specific expertise, public recognition, etc. authors have that will help sell a book. It makes sense for nonfiction, but unless they've won prestigious awards for writing, I don't know how it would apply to novelists or poets. I agree with the others: it's better to contact a specific agent at Curtis Brown.

Sara007

Registered
Reaction score
E-queried Sarah LaPolla (with first 5 pages as she requests) on 5-2-12 and received a form R today (5-12-12). A 10-day turnaround is pretty good, I think (though of course a 10-day turnaround with good news would be better :)

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Time for Partial from Maureen Walters

Does anyone have experience with Maureen Walters and if so, how long did it take her to review your requested partial? Thanks!

lemonhead

Life isn't all beer and skittles.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahnicolelemon.com
I had a request for a full from Anna Webman back in Jan. and I haven't heard anything since. I emailed her like two weeks ago just to make sure it had reached her, but didn't hear anything back from that either.
I'm guessing it's a rejection, but since it was a request for a full, I'm really hoping I get a courtesy rejection email...Anyone know her response times or what I should do next?
I don't want to keep bugging her...but now I'm also worried nothing's reached her since the original email (which seems kind of ridiculous)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
OMG trying not to hyperventilate - Sent a hard copy query + 10 to Ginger Knowlton on 4/24 and just got a FULL REQUEST!!! She also requested via snail mail, though said I could email the full. She asked for a one month exclusive if possible, but I have other fulls out.

This was totally one of those what the hell I might as well try queries that I NEVER expected to pay off. Aaaaaaaaaaah!

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if this agency is a "rejection from one is a rejection from all?" type? I can't seem to find any information pertaining to that on the website.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if this agency is a "rejection from one is a rejection from all?" type? I can't seem to find any information pertaining to that on the website.

Not in my experience. I currently have a partial out with one agent that another agent at CB passed on the query. They have different preferences and in my experience seem to work independently. Good Luck!

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
FYI to anyone waiting on Sarah LaPolla's responses to requested material - she tweeted this morning that she's caught up on requested material through April 23rd.

tessa

Registered
Reaction score
Laura Blake Peterson

Does anyone know if LBP is properly addressed as Ms. Peterson or Ms. Blake Peterson? Her assistant requested a partial and I want to be prepared if (fingers crossed) I hear from LBP herself.

Thanks!

Tessa

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Ginger Clark
Query: April 11
Partial request: May 2
Full request: May 21
Full sent: June 1 (I let her know I was about to finish a R&R so she opted to wait for the new version.)
Rejection: July 24

She did say she liked it a lot and wanted to see my next project.

centurion51

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from a first time poster. I submitted a query letter, sample chapter and synopsis on June 22 along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the Query Department (no one in particular) at Curtis Brown Ltd. in New York City. The note on their Submission Guidelines webpage states they typically respond in 6 to 8 weeks. Has anyone found that to be an accurate estimate? I am at the almost-seven week mark and getting antsy watching the daily mail. Thanks.

Nick

CatherineGreen

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Laura Blake Peterson? Does she always respond? I queried 8/29 and haven't heard anything. Is it time to give up? Shame, she seemed like a great fit.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Ginger Knowlton has had my full for over six months, and that's fine. I'm not planning to nudge or anything; it seems to me that nudges on fulls only prompt rejections.

BUT Sarah LaPolla recently tweeted that she's looking for something that matches the manuscript I'm currently querying. (A different manuscript than the one Knowlton has.)

I can't find anything on the CB guidelines about multiple agents at the same agency. Given that they're different manuscripts, and the time that has passed, should I query LaPolla? Should I mention that Knowlton has a different manuscript? Should I just wait?

Thoughts? Thanks!